Motorcycle Forum

Motorcycle Forum (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/)
-   MotoGP (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/motogp/)
-   -   Suzuka GP Results (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/motogp/1756-suzuka-gp-results.html)

brook_63 04-07-2003 01:56 PM

Re: Suzuka GP Results

not on a track they have never ridden before!!!

hayden and all the wsb riders did a hell of a job placing that high- as testing was inconsistent.

layback 04-07-2003 02:16 PM

Re: They should of red flagged it

I agree totally, seems like they was more intrested in keeping the race going. You know, at a race I was doing at the old loudon NH track (the good one) I crashed a GSXR1100 under braking going into turn 10 during a weekend we was running the track backwards I went head first into a heybail wall, They redflaged the practice session right away , I don't think they moved me much at all till they had me strapped to a backboard....I don't know...I know it wasn't a motogp race, but I think any one person's health is more important then any motor race.

layback 04-07-2003 02:26 PM

You said it right when you said "throw", I cringed also. Oh, you mean 8 hour, but you're right about Nicky not having as much time at that track.

rsheidler 04-07-2003 02:37 PM

Actually, Colin has raced there (and won) several times -- he and Kato teamed up to win the Suzuka 8 hour last year, and I believe he may have teamed with Rossi one year. He probably has as much track time as most of the non-Japanese riders in the field.

Nicky has at least tested there several times, and may have done one of the 8-hours in the past as well -- not sure about that, but am sure about the testing.

I believe that Bayliss was the only rider in the field to not have run on the track previous to the tests of a week ago.

Of these guys, I know Colin expected to do better and is disappointed at his finish, but nobody (probably including themselves) had such high expectations for either Nicky or Troy.

BadCop 04-07-2003 02:56 PM

Re: Much praise for Ducati

I'm wondering who has the responsibility for marshalling the race, FIM or the local track authorities? I would guess it is the responsibility of the FIM since they are the sanctioning body. If so, then the locals did only what they could under those conditions.

captainwhoopass 04-07-2003 06:07 PM

Re: Much praise for Ducati

Not necessarily- the AMA is not responsible for marshaling all of the tracks here in the US. The FIM may be the same.

captainwhoopass 04-07-2003 06:10 PM

Colin has been there a bunch- I think he's run every 8-hour since 1996, maybe more, not to mention testing sessions.

dardas 04-07-2003 08:12 PM

Did they really do all that well? Biaggi and Rossi stepped off their 250's onto a 500 for the first time and won their first races. Now that's a good start.

Not trying to put down Colin or Nicky, but considering Nicky was on a Repsol machine, I think 7th is just ok. no?

Pacer 04-07-2003 10:56 PM

re: Suzuka GP Results

Nicky is seeing these tracks for the first time. I would say pretty damn good.

TatdNPrcd 04-08-2003 07:33 AM

While I'm thrilled with the MotoGP challenge this year and the exceptional finish of Bayliss, Edwards and Hayden I'm concerned for the lack of corner workers care of downed riders.

The care of Daijiro Kato after his crash exhibited more concern for the race than for his potentially life threatening injuries. I was horrified by the corner workers handling of Kato. They were handling him as if he were nothing more than a broken part of the motorcycle. That race should have been red flagged and proper emergency personnel, knowledgeable in trauma care, dispatched to the scene.

We may never know if the severity of his injuries were caused solely by his crash or if they were aggravated by their improper handling of him.

Isn't it the track that provides the corner workers? Who decides when an ambulance is needed?

It was just so shocking to see how they handled Kato. I hope the way injured riders are handled is addressed before the next round.

Derrick