Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > MotoGP

Old 04-07-2003, 07:53 AM   #11
longride
Super Duper Mod Man

Default Re: Suzuka GP Results

Actually, if his heart wasn't beating, the correct choice is to do whatever it takes to get the heart started. There is no spinal injury if he's dead, so that is secondary to getting the heart beating.

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 04-07-2003, 07:58 AM   #12
rsheidler
Founding Member

I recently completed a First Responder course (in order to be a ski patrol) and that was one of the points the instructer made. First responsibility is to keep him alive, saving his back, neck etc comes next. As instructor said though, it is often a tough call -- do you want to risk keeping someone alive as a vegatable?

In retrospect, it seems like they maybe should have immediately redflagged the race, and tried to revive him there on the track, rather than moving him to the ambulence first. I wasn't there, and I am not the expert in any case, so I won't try to second guess.

There have been past complaints about the way the Japanese marshalls handled similar situations in the past though. Many of the racers feel that, unlike American or European crews, they put keeping the racing going with minimal disruption ahead of rider/driver safety.
rsheidler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2003, 08:06 AM   #13
rsheidler
Founding Member

It was an excellent start of the season for the former superbike stars. Those gp snobs who had predicted that none would make the top 10 until late in the season, if at all, were quickly shown to be wrong.

Colin said that he got totally flustered in the first lap with riders going every which way, and he slipped all the way back to 13th. Not sure if GP is that much more hectic than WSB or if it is just a matter that for several years he has never started off the first (or maybe second) row, so has forgotten how messy it can be back in the middle of the pack.

Anyway a great showing for them, and for Ducati and Aprilia. Too bad we don't have a chance to evaluate how Yamaha stack up, with Barros riding with a badly injured knee and in considerable pain.
Old 04-07-2003, 08:27 AM   #14
remanking
Founding Member

Great job Nicky! Yea his bike is probably faster than Colins, but Colins been around that track a million times during the 24 hour. Nicky has little experience on it especially with all the rain they had and he hung right with him and even passed him a couple if times. Gonna be a great season!!

I cringed when I saw the corner workers "throw" Kato on the gurney.
remanking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2003, 09:10 AM   #15
KPaulCook
Banned

Default They should of red flagged it

I agree I was shocked to see the Japanese response was to keep the racing going. I think a red flag was more than appropriate. You can do CPR anywhere i.e. on the track if needed. I think the European and American response would of been much different.
KPaulCook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2003, 09:14 AM   #16
KPaulCook
Banned

Default Much praise for Ducati

Loved the race. Ducati deserves a lot of credit. I take back what I said about "Ducati being the Harley of Sport Bikes". I gained a lot respect for Ducati. I always had a lot of respect for Bayliss and Capirossi. I was shocked by the Japense corner workers. I think they should of red flagged it. Hayden and Edwards did great.
Old 04-07-2003, 09:34 AM   #17
longride
Super Duper Mod Man

Default Re: Much praise for Ducati

And if you think about what Ducati spent on their race effort compared to Honda, I'd say you would have more than "respect". More like outright shock that they did so well with so little. As for the Japanese response to the crash, they are very image conscious I'm sure, and nothing better to ruin a race than CPR performed in front of the cameras on a red flag. I'm sure they wanted to get Kato off the track, and work on him in a private area ASAP. Not the best scenario for sure.
Old 04-07-2003, 10:37 AM   #18
rsheidler
Founding Member

Default Re: Much praise for Ducati

In fairness to the corner workers, I am certain that they do not have authority to throw the red flag on their own -- that order would have to come from the control. Unless they could have done so almost immediately, they would have put the corner workers and other riders at further risk by trying to work on Kato out on the track.

I understand that they have cameras on all corners so the control can make such calls, but that this accident occured in an unexpected area so was not on camera.

I really don't want to criticize anyone involved -- I am sure that everyone did what they were trained to do. It does seem that the standard procedures at least need to be looked at for possible revision though.

This whole situation makes me a bit more sympathetic to those riders and the FIM who complain about US tracks' extent of solid walls and lack of runoff -- with one or two exceptions, most US tracks are worse than Suzuka in this respect.
Old 04-07-2003, 11:15 AM   #19
dardas
Founding Member

Default re: Suzuka GP Results

Did they really do all that well? Biaggi and Rossi stepped off their 250's onto a 500 for the first time and won their first races. Now that's a good start.

Not trying to put down Colin or Nicky, but considering Nicky was on a Repsol machine, I think 7th is just ok. no?
dardas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2003, 12:34 PM   #20
KPaulCook
Banned

Default Kato fighting for his life

"The hospital scans confirmed serious injuries to his head, chest and neck. He is now in intensive care fighting for his life.´ " from

Kato story