Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > MotoGP

Old 03-16-2003, 05:56 PM   #11
crazybike_37
Founding Member

Default Re: Final IRTA MotoGP Testing Times

I think everybody's getting the wrong picture when they look at the fact that Hayden took Hopkins by a tenth of a second.

See, what happened was, they decided to race with no helmets, just sunglasses, SoCal style. Then, once up to speed, Hopkin's ears created a huge aerodynamic drag coefficient, while Nicky's nose served to streamline his entire head, thereby accounting for the tenth of a second less time on the straightaways for the Virginian.

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 03-16-2003, 08:34 PM   #12
badsac
Founding Member

Default Yeah right

Riding a development of the world championship bike in the same team as the world champion and going 1.287 seconds faster than yesterday.

I think at least Bayliss with 1.804 seconds improvement on an underdeveloped bike comfortably sees him off.
badsac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2003, 04:50 AM   #13
rsheidler
Founding Member

Default Re: Yeah right

I guess this is the same "undeveloped Bike" that took quickest time and highest top speed of the weekend?

Seriously, I agree that if you look strictly at change in times day to day, Bayliss had more improvement. However, if it was relative to expectations, that is another matter. In this case, the surprise is that Bayliss' Saturday time was so slow, especially after having had An "extra" practice day on Thursday. Normally, we expect that by the 2nd or third day, Troy's times are right there with Capi's. Nicky, on the other hand, has typically been quite a ways off the pace even by the end of each session.

Regards

Bob
rsheidler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2003, 05:17 AM   #14
rsheidler
Founding Member

Default Re: Aprilia Problem

Word this morning from Colin's dad is that the X-Ray shows a hairline crack, but nothing to worry about. Colin said that if it had been on a race weekend, he would have been out there again.

He will continue with tests and developement as planned.

Bob
Old 03-17-2003, 06:05 AM   #15
jamesohoh7
Founding Member

That boy does have himself a set of ears, doesn't he!

I hope he doesn't pick up a certain large-ear related nick-name due to any sort of bad riding... the press would go nuts. I don't even want to say it here.

I like Hopper... I admire the guy jumping into the fray last year on a 500, and doing quite well considering all that was against him. I think he showed some promise for sure... I think he was in the points on just about every race he finished. He did pretty well not to crash as much as many predicted.

-James
jamesohoh7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2003, 06:12 AM   #16
Holy_Kaw
Registered Member

Yeah, what's up with that!?
Holy_Kaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2003, 08:12 AM   #17
KPaulCook
Banned

Ducati has been very impressive given their obsolete twin legacy . I hope Ducati continues. I would make MotoGP fun to watch. Poor Kawasaki. Maybe they shoud race the ZX-7R . Suzuki should enter a GSXR 1000 given the pathetic performance of their Moto GP bike. Just kidding.

KPaulCook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2003, 09:34 AM   #18
rsheidler
Founding Member

I'm not gonna take the bait

It is clear that not ALL of their WSB success is atributable to their "unfair" displacement advantage -- they obviously learned a thing or two about producing speed and horsepower along the way.

I don't think even Ducati had expectations that they would so quickly be on the pace. I expect that Honda got caught napping a bit -- I believe they felt that a few incremental improvements from last year's RCV would be good enough.

Re Kawasaki, looks like EBoz can be happy he was passed over for the GP job. Looks like a frustrating season. Suzuki have improved a lot, but unfortunately, they now have a bike that would have been very competitive for the 2002 season. Looks like they got caught off guard by the extent that Ducati and Yamaha have raised the bar.

There were reports, prior to the Suzuki tests at Sepang that Mladin privately bragged that he and Yates would be faster than KRJR and Hopper who were testing at the same time. Turns out they weren't even close.

My opinion is that a big part of Suzuki's and Kawasaki's problem is not so much with the factories as with the actual race teams. That is where the top Honda teams, as well as the Ducati and Yamaha organizations shine. They all seem to have strong team leaders who can communicate with the factories and work together to solve the problems. I don't see that with Suzuki or Yamaha. Also looks like Colin has that kind of relationship with Aprilia, although that certainly was NOT the case with the Aprilia team last year. To develop a new bike, it is critical to have an excellent communication between the development rider, the crew chief and the factory.
Old 03-17-2003, 11:24 AM   #19
Buzglyd
Founding Member

Default Could you just show a little more enthusiasm?

Bob, you're bringing us all down with your lack of enthusiasm about racing.

Try to at least fake it, ok?
Buzglyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2003, 12:08 PM   #20
badsac
Founding Member

Default Re: Yeah right

Underdeveloped, not undeveloped.

I guess Bayliss was just working on some stuff the first day and didn't feel it neccessary to push for a fast time that day. He sped up when it counted though.

But yeah, I get your point. Just having a little dig.
badsac is offline   Reply With Quote