Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > MotoGP

Old 03-02-2003, 04:18 PM   #31
rsheidler
Founding Member

Default Racing Pushrods

Twin-cylinder, air (actually air-oil) cooled pushrod twins expected to win at Daytona next weekend check this out -- watch it on SpeedTV!
rsheidler is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 03-02-2003, 05:23 PM   #32
Buzglyd
Founding Member

Default Re: What they didn't mention

You probably haven't been following these threads long but most of this "Harley stuff" is said very tongue-in-cheek.
Buzglyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2003, 05:25 PM   #33
Buzglyd
Founding Member

Default Re: Great Marketing Idea!

Well he has been asking me for a dirt bike. I guess I just need to hold out until he is 17 eh?
Buzglyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2003, 05:48 PM   #34
sarnali
Founding Member

Heavy duty pick-up truck shocks from the junk yard'll stiffen 'er up good, and cheap too! Time spent with your kids is worth more than anything in the world, my friends razz me because my two daughters have me wrapped around their fingers, I just laugh and nod my head!!
sarnali is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2003, 06:07 PM   #35
BadCop
Founding Member

Johnny my man, much of this thread has been employing an obsolete, antiquated literary device called satire, something HD afficionados can readily identify with, heh, heh.
BadCop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2003, 07:25 PM   #36
john
Founding Member

ah, sarcasm, right. tongue in cheek eh? come on now, you can at least attempt to be subtle.

article is about as subtle as my dog dying after i shot him
Old 03-03-2003, 02:49 AM   #37
David_White
Founding Member

Default Re: Racing Pushrods

Don't the Beemer boxers have overhead cams, not pushrods?
David_White is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2003, 03:43 AM   #38
seruzawa
The Toad

Default Re: Great Marketing Idea!

Look on the bright side. By that time mono-shock water-cooled 2-stroke dirtbikes will be completely obsolete; replaced by dual shock 4-stroke pushrod V-twins (XLCHs return!) and you'll be able to just give him some old Sportster!
Old 03-03-2003, 05:02 AM   #39
jmeyn
Founding Member

Default Re: Back to the Future?

You say: "At this time, suspension travel is more nearly horizontal than vertical.

The best case coefficient of friction, about 1.3, limits lean angle to 52 degrees at which point the vertical component of force on the track is about 55% of the total. Hanging out decreases the chassis lean angle significantly, probably to about 45 degrees with a vertical component of 50%. For practical purposes, the maximum vertical component relative to the track surface is equal to the horizontal.

A CF of 1.3 is rare under race condition, where the best case is probably closer to 1 even.
jmeyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2003, 06:02 AM   #40
rsheidler
Founding Member

Man, you shot your dog? What kind of a man are you? How could you? I'm gonna call the SPCA!

Seriously, did you actually read the article, or just the opening paragraph? I opened the article by posing the tongue-in-cheek question of whether this was copying Harley or cutting edge technology, then spent the entire remainder of the article attempting to explore that cutting edge of motorcycle racing technology -- a subject very near to my heart.

It never occured to me that anyone would seriously think that a GP bike would "copy" Harley, so that reference seemed sufficiently subtle. Perhaps in the future, I should include a warning on my posts -- you know, like "Parental Advisory, may contain adult language, violent imagery and ironic content."

For the record, I have owned 6 Yamahas, and no Harleys -- in fact, the last time I rode on one was as a passenger in 1961. I also have nothing against Harleys, and am half-way interested in a Dyna Sport as my next street bike.

Just a friendly advisory -- if Buzglide or Longride (or someone responding to them) make any reference to their dung-heap Harleys flinging parts and spewing oil, it also is tongue-in-cheek.

Cheers

Bob
rsheidler is offline   Reply With Quote