Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > MotoGP

Old 01-20-2003, 04:55 PM   #21
Buzglyd
Founding Member

Default Re: HRC and Ducati in Malaysia

My neighbors 03 RoadGlide is in my garage and there for the taking when I wish.

This guy is a trust-fund baby and has a 50th Anniv. Corvette in his garage and a 100th anniv. Harley in my garage. Must be rough eh?
Buzglyd is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 01-20-2003, 06:27 PM   #22
JohnGeisz
Founding Member

Default Re: Easy KPaul

Hey Fox,

There are race tracks in Illinois, you might just have to drive a bit.

I've taken about 50 laps on an FZ1 at Gateway Intl near St. Louis, which isn't a really thrilling track, but in the straights, nothing can pull away from you. (Of course, then everybody else laughs at you in the corners as you shower them with sparks)

But seriously, the FZ1 wasn't horrible on the track, just a bit awkward... you wont catch an RS250 unless you're in a pure drag race down the back straight.

My rule for 'hooligan'ing on the street is... don't go faster than you can see and react with good traction. You can go a heck of a lot faster if you ride blind, but there might be a stalled car over the hill or a patch of gravel in the sweeper.

JohnGeisz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2003, 07:06 PM   #23
TheFox
Founding Member

Default Hooray for crashing!

Yeah. I'm not afraid to take the FZ on the track...in fact, it's one of the reasons I took the FZ over the other sport-standards. It is definately too much power for me right now though. These litre bikes are sick.

I didn't know about the track in St. Louis, but I have thought about Blackhack Farms in Rockford, Illinois and Gingerman in South Haven, Michigan. Gingerman is the one I would like to go to most; it's suppossed to be real nice.

The hooliganing thing; I wasn't even hooning about. The off roading was from me practicing the same corner, a wide 90 degree with good visibility - sharp, not a sweeper, but with nice smooth pavement and no traffic. On Sunday, there and no cops and no traffic back there; it's kind of an industrial park area. I dragged the kickstand on my Monster and let off the turn a bit too much.

What I learned: got to hang off the bike for more ground clearance. Metzelers handle the grass just fine as long as you don't lean and go slow. Heheheh.

I haven't gotten into a bad wreck out of stupidity really. The dumb riding was dodging a deer, combined with an off camber corner and some really atrocious pavement. I went down in the dirt at about 5 MPH. Felt dumb though. Ah well.

I'll get to the track soon enough. I hope. Heheheh.

--The Fox

The best bike to take a trip on is the one you have.
TheFox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2003, 10:46 PM   #24
Holy_Kaw
Registered Member

Default Re: GP in USA and the televised crapfest that is AMA SBK

I like Dave Despain. I was at the Springfield mile a few years ago and saw him "leave" the podium (looked to be 8-12 feet). Supposedly broke his leg and never missed a beat. I'll take him over some Bob Costas style non-Motorcyclist any day. SpeedChannel seems to want to become "The NASCAR channel". NASCAR's OK but aren't ALL the other channels trying to do the same. Pissed my off to cut coverage during as I recall the 600 race at Sears Point too, I let them know about it. Is it posible to have more commercials during a race? I miss "Spedvision" they seemed like enthusiasts.
Holy_Kaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2003, 12:28 AM   #25
obandoj
Founding Member

Hey fox, did you ever hear of Road America?
obandoj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2003, 12:31 AM   #26
obandoj
Founding Member

I would go anywhere in the US to see it!
obandoj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2003, 05:47 AM   #27
longride
Super Duper Mod Man

Yeah, life sounds rough for that guy. I have 3 bikes myself. so who am I to complain?
Old 01-21-2003, 07:33 AM   #28
SeanAlexander
Founding Member

I have to agree with you on this one Cow. I've met Mr. Despain on a couple of occassions and he is genuinely entheusiastic and an all around friendly "nice" guy. He rides regularly and pushes himself on the racetrack. I'm more than willing to cut him some slack for not being the world's slickest journalist.
Old 01-21-2003, 07:49 AM   #29
KPaulCook
Banned

Default Re: Easy KPaul

You are right. To be honest I know this road like the back of my hand and I suspect this guy was new to road. Usually, I try to keep up with guys more experienced but I never go beyond my comfront level. Which means guys usually leave me far behind.
KPaulCook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2003, 07:57 AM   #30
Buzglyd
Founding Member

The difference is we have to work to pay for ours!
Buzglyd is offline   Reply With Quote