Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > MotoGP

Old 12-20-2002, 08:51 AM   #1
pplassm
Founding Member

Default Re: Online Motorcycle Racing

I have always felt very dissappointed by any game or computer simulation, motorcycle or airplane. It's hard to compete with the real thing sitting in your garage.

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 12-20-2002, 09:02 AM   #2
Grover
Founding Member

Not since the release of Diablo has a single game consumed so much of my time. Back then, my grades suffered, now, it's less time at work and strained inter-personal relationships. Oh well.

The simple fact is that no computer can ever provide the challenge that other humans can. Every racing game I have ever played was able to be mastered such that it was all but impossible for you to win. The ability to race against an entire field of human beings is what will make this game one of the best ever. Even my non-riding friends can't get enough of it.
Grover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2002, 10:57 AM   #3
Abe_Froman
Founding Member

Unfortunately, I have played MotoGP and I lost interest after about an hour, especially after being weaned on Gran Tourismo 1,2 and 3. All other motorsports games simply pale in comparison to the absolutely perfect compromise of realism vs. playability in GT. In my humble opinon, motorcycle riding is much harder to simulate in a way that is at once both playable and believeable.

I did think that a handlebar-type force-feelback controller with twist throttle and brakeand clutch levers (similar in principle to the steering-wheel controllers that one can get for car games) might make it more interesting. Riding a motorcycle is a total-body experience, with much more than your hands and feet working to control it. Therefore I don't think the controls translate to a normal game controller as well as they do with a car.

Or you could just throw up your hands and put up a linux Counter-Strike server. You'd probably have 10 times as many players with that anyway.
Abe_Froman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2002, 04:19 PM   #4
Lowrez
Founding Member

MotoGP is a good racing game. Being able to race 15 opponents online makes it great. Count me as another addicted player. (Gamer tag Lowrez)

As to Gran Tourismo, it truely is a wonderful game. Something has to be said for a video game that helps get the Lancer Evo exported to the United States.
Lowrez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2002, 06:54 PM   #5
MrDeadeye
Founding Member

Default MotoGP not so hot

MotoGP was one of the first games I bought for my xbox. It's OK, but like any track based racing game, it gets boring going around and around. I wish somebody would make a motorcycle race game with enduro style overland routes like rallisport challenge or across a city with traffic to avoid. I've seen old PC games that had some of these features, but nothing with current graphics technology. Realism is great - but I actually have a real bike that I ride sanely and carefully. When I'm playing a motorcycle game, I want to be able to do crazy stuff that wouldn't be safe or legal in real life.
MrDeadeye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2002, 03:57 AM   #6
seruzawa
The Toad

Default Get someone to write a new game.

How about a "Commuting in LA" MC game? The rider would have to avoid car doors opening while lane splitting and road ragers with .357 Smith and Wessons. Plus the action could include random assaults by the Crips and the Bloods armed with AK-47s. Throw in the occasional land mine or wire strung across the road. Obstacles like abandoned subway construction sites could be included too. Attacks by homos while riding through Griffith Park. Police who arrest you if caught for speeding and force you to submit to safety lectures by Dr. Laura.

Lots of possibilties here.
Old 12-21-2002, 09:44 AM   #7
seruzawa
The Toad

Default more great ideas

Include erractically driving squids and rubbies on Mulholland Hwy, Tujunga Canyon and the Angeles Crest.

The squids go way too fast. You can tell them because they wear either the very latest protection gear or none at all. Sometimes they come at you from above when they slide off the road from higher elevations.

Rubbies can be identified by the perfect untarnished condition of their seldom ridden cruisers. The rubbies are usually drunk on Coronas. Their leathers are so stiff from disuse that they can barely pilot their lane-hogging lumps. The reflections from all the added chrome accents cause periods of blindness.

Extra Points for causing rubbies or squids to run into your enemies.
Old 12-21-2002, 10:14 AM   #8
sportbike_pilot
Founding Member

I couldn't agree with you more. The more bells and whistles the games come with the less they seem to emulate the real thing too.

I've often wanted to try and mount a GAU avenger cannon on a Cessna 182 in Microsoft Flight Simulator. That might be fun.

spb
sportbike_pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2002, 11:49 AM   #9
Seattle_Jon
Founding Member

Default Re: more great ideas

It has always been my understanding that "squids" refers to terminally testosterone poisoned dudes with muscle shirts (or no shirts) intended to show off their multiple tattos, piercings, iron-pumped muscles, shorts, flip flops, bare hands and cool shades!

Rubbies....that's a totally new one for me. What does that stand for (?)....other than bar hopping, bear drinking, real men, flag-wavin' cruiser ridin' patriots of the good ole' US of A!
Seattle_Jon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2002, 07:52 PM   #10
captainwhoopass
Founding Member

Try MotoGP2 for Playstation 2. It is far superior to the original MotoGP. However, I don't know if you can play it online... I've never tried it.,