Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > MotoGP

Old 11-01-2002, 09:23 AM   #1
KPaulCook
Banned

Default MotoGP adds Bike makers while WSB loses

Excellent MotoGP does it again, with well defined rules and excellent promotion. WSB better watch out cause MotoGP might just start a 600 class.
KPaulCook is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 11-01-2002, 09:25 AM   #2
KPaulCook
Banned

Default Americans dominate MotoGP with most wins

MotoGP wins

USA - 150

Italy - 148

Great Britain - 138

Australia - 84

Spain - 19

Rhodesia - 12

Japan - 10

Netherlands - 8

Brazil - 5

Ireland - 4

Finland, France, NZ, Venezuela - 3

Argentina - 2

from http://www.mcnews.com.au/
Old 11-01-2002, 11:26 AM   #3
rsheidler
Founding Member

Default Re: KTM to Race 125GP

>>GP 125cc class street racing<<

I have spent enough time in Italy and Spain to be pretty familiar with all those young punks terrorizing the streets on their gp replica Aprilia, Gilera, etc 125s -- so I guess it is not too surprising to see a factory introduce REAL gp bikes into the street racing scene

Seriously, in spite of a press release obviously translated from German by someone relying heavily on a copy of Duden's (publisher of the best German-English dictionaries), this is pretty exciting news. I knew that KTM was planning to enter MotoGP in 2004, but had not heard that they were entering the 125 class as soon as 2003. Snagging Red Bull sponsorship (probably helps that they are both Austrian companies) and Roberto Locatelli as a rider are big coups as well!

Too bad we don't get to see same day TV coverage of the 125s on SpeedTV -- guess I'll have to rely on my vcr and tape the Tuesday showings.
rsheidler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2002, 02:01 PM   #4
Hadji
Founding Member

Default Woo-hoo! One step closer.

Well, golly! They are going to start focusing on building streetbikes! Race on Sunday and sell on Monday. And I am one step closer to getting a sub-250 lb., 60+ rwhp, reliable single cylinder or twin streetbike. Yippeeee! Too bad it won't cost $5k, but it is coming. I'll bet this is the r & d for an onslaught of streetbikes from KTM. Come on, baby! Come to papa. I am seriously considering trading the R1100SBX for a 950 Duke.

Let the second golden age of motorcycling begin.
Hadji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2002, 08:29 AM   #5
Troy_Smith
Founding Member

Default Re: KTM to Race 125GP

KTM is a company that really seems to have really good ideas. The Duke is one of the funnest bikes i've ridden, and the twin Duke looks to be even better. I can't wait to see what other things they do with that V-twin motor. The pure sportbike should be very exciting, do you think they'll be able to get it right on their first attempt?
Troy_Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2002, 09:39 AM   #6
nokneedragin
Founding Member

Default US GP Round at homestead

Just read at cycle news that there should be a GP round held at homestead in 2004

Gawd I can't wait !!!

http://www.cyclenews.com/ShowStory.asp?HeadlineID=4045
nokneedragin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2002, 04:11 AM   #7
pplassm
Founding Member

Default RE: Jeremy McGrath obligation

FYI

Jeremy McGrath has signed to ride KTMs in SX, I believe for the next 2 years.

You're welcome.

Old 11-04-2002, 07:11 AM   #8
rsheidler
Founding Member

Default Re: US GP Round at homestead

I just saw that on another site as well -- really great! Timing is really right for a resurgance of US fan interest in GP, with several new US riders, a whole bunch of new teams/bikes and what promises to be some very exciting racing.

Since I am in Northern California, I was really hoping the US round would be someplace like Laguna Seca, but I will plan to make the trip to Florida. I have not seen anything about a date, have you?
Old 11-04-2002, 11:24 AM   #9
rsheidler
Founding Member

Default Re: Woo-hoo! One step closer.

That V2 Duke looks like one sweet ride, and the early riding impressions I have seen are really tantalizing.

OK so it weighs more than 250 lbs and costs more than $5K, but ya can't always get what ya want.

I have not quite decided what I think of the styling -- I am probably from a different generation from their target audience -- I kinda like it, but it is perhaps more "edgy" than what I prefer -- sorta how I feel about the Aprilia Futura or (on 4 wheels) the new BMW Z4.
Old 11-09-2002, 08:28 PM   #10
KPaulCook
Banned

Default Thanks for the news

Awsome.