Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > MotoGP

Old 10-21-2002, 04:17 PM   #11
jmeyn
Founding Member

Default Re: Another great year is nearly over

Right. I thought just the podium was enough. Insane, wasn't it?
jmeyn is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 10-21-2002, 04:19 PM   #12
jmeyn
Founding Member

Default Re: Dunlop = Crap tires

Can you imagine the fun he had running with the two masters, with nothing at all to lose? Luckiest man on earth!
Old 10-21-2002, 04:21 PM   #13
jmeyn
Founding Member

That's a little hard on Dunlop. Michelin did it to Rossi a few races back. Nobody's perfect.
Old 10-21-2002, 04:28 PM   #14
badsac
Founding Member

Yeah, it did look like he was having a ball. Got a bit close to them a couple of times though which I'm sure had his heart in his mouth. I don't know if anyone would have been impressed if he had of taken out one of the leaders.

I guess one potential reason for him even being there (apart from having fun and getting exposure for the sponsors) was to remind everyone he's fast enough to deserve a ride next year. I hope someone picks him up cause McCoy on song makes for a very exciting race.
badsac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2002, 04:30 PM   #15
badsac
Founding Member

Default Ah yes...

I forgot about that disintegrating rear episode. Never mind my anti-dunlop rantings then (never had a good dunlop personally) . Seems nobodies perfect.
Old 10-21-2002, 08:50 PM   #16
DucButt
Founding Member

Default Re: Ah yes...

All time best tires I've ever run on the street to date were Dunlop D204's!! Currently on Pirelli Dragon, but anxious to try the Sportec or Pilot - slightly off the thread... sorry
DucButt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2002, 05:11 AM   #17
Joe_Momma
Founding Member

Default BS and YOU KNOW IT!!!

You can't base a riders skill on his marketability in a politically controlled environment. The majority of those riders are signed based off of sponsorship. Why is Sete Gibernau still in the series? Why did Louis Cardoso and Pere Riba get rides? Pere Riba came from WSBK 600SS for god sakes!

The series was the best of the best in the eighties to mid nineties, and since then it has declined into who can get what ride via sponsor. Marco Melandri has a factory ride and he has been struggling against 2nd rate teams but I almost guareentee you he will get signed to Yamaha! Only now are Americans getting back in because of talent. Mladin, Edwards, Gobert, Fogarty all say this same thing: You get into GP based on your Passport.

And don't say Kenny Roberts Jr hasn't done much. He won in 2000, came in second in 1999 on what was the crappiest bike in the field (minus the proton). He always outperforms his team mates.

NEXT YEAR GP will be the cream of the crop because of the new riders, Hayden, Edwards, Bayliss, E boz maybe. You put them togther with the GP top five and then you will have some real racing. And people have the nerve to think Capirossi will outperform Bayliss.

McCoy has been fairly beaten by Hopkins at quite a few races this year and he has finished more races than most of the GP regulars on lesser machinery (red bull is the bastard Yam team) and on lesser tires (everyone knows Dunlop make ****ty tires this year).

Rossi will have competition next year.
Joe_Momma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2002, 06:10 AM   #18
badsac
Founding Member

Default Re: Ah yes...

Tried a set of D204's and I got a separated shoulder as a result of the rear not working properly. Not even half the grip of the Bridgestones I put on after. I guess I was just unlucky. [/OT tire discusion]
Old 10-22-2002, 06:32 AM   #19
rsheidler
Founding Member

Not to mention Biaggi's front tire, which tore up his front fender a couple of races back.

Dunlop has not been at the top in WSB or MotoGP in 2002 but they seem to do well on some of the 2-strokes (McCoy's performance, once he got a new tire, for example) and have been very competitive in 250GP.

Charactorizing them as "crap" is rather harsh -- however, it I were running a team in MotoGP, I would want Michelins if I could get em -- that is certainly a big part of the deal with Colin at Aprilia.
rsheidler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2002, 06:40 AM   #20
Roadrider
Founding Member

Default Re: Phillip Island GP Results

Please do not forget the Brazilian ( only Barros, for now ). With an "almost" factory Honda he is really showing now how good he is.... Rossi, take care!
Roadrider is offline   Reply With Quote