Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > MotoGP

Old 10-03-2002, 04:29 AM   #21
Twinjet
Founding Member

Default Re: Inferior equipment??

Uhhh, my recolection of the race at Laguna was that the Nickster took out Haga-san in the last turn while attempting a late braking move that was a little too late. Nicky is good but I feel that he should have done a year or two in WSC before going to The Show. I'm betting that Hopper will show him the way around the tracks next season. As for Colin, he deserves the ride for sure.
Twinjet is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 10-03-2002, 04:58 AM   #22
Dynaguy
Founding Member

Default Re: Edwards to GP1?

If Edwards is the kind of man I think he is, he should stick by his letter of intent and ride Ducati. Honda was prepared to leave him high and dry when it looked like Edwards was not going to win the WSB title. Now that he has, Honda is scrambling to save face after a foolish decision. Honda has shown a stunning lack of loyalty to one of the best in the business, I hope that he doesn't fall for this. Ducati will treat him far better.
Dynaguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2002, 05:53 AM   #23
bwarbiany23
Founding Member

Edwards would be a fool not to go to MotoGP if a ride is offered. Maybe if Ducati offered to toss him in, although nobody knows if the Ducati V-4 will be competitive in MotoGP...

Edwards is too good for WSB. He deserves to class up to MotoGP (Plus, I just want to watch all these guys in one class next year )

Brad
bwarbiany23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2002, 06:04 AM   #24
rsheidler
Founding Member

Default Re: Kawasaki Calls It Quits

>>gut feeling Zooky will also back out<<

I also have that suspicion.

You are correct in suggesting that the changes in WSB will open the doors for a lot of new riders to emerge, and for some new manufacturers to emerge from relative obscurity. In many ways, WSB has become (or maybe always has been) a largely European series -- that is where the biggest audiences are, that is where most of the sponsorship originates, and the rules have been stacked in favor of the European bikes (read "Ducati"). As a Ducati rider and fan, I am not complaining, mind you!

Commercially speaking, WSB has been very good to Ducati and to Aprilia -- I cannot help but believe that Ducati's emergence from obscure exotica to where they are today would not have happened without the exposure from Superbike racing (World and local - eg AMA and British). Aprilia's move into big 4 strokes, for a company known (largely in Europe) for 125 2-strokes would not have nearly as successful without the instant credibility earned by Corser's impressive results -- or for that matter Haga's impressive performance, even if the results this past season were not that great.

I think that the Japanese makers have largely come to the conclusion that commercially, they are better off focusing on "racing what they sell" in supersport (see Yamaha's press release re the 2003 AMA season), and using MotoGP to showcase their cutting-edge technology.

This is not necessaily bad for WSB (more of a problem for AMA superbike) as it does provide more of an opportunity for the new or re-emerging non-Japanese manufacturers to showcase their offerings.
rsheidler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2002, 06:20 AM   #25
rsheidler
Founding Member

>>Rossi want to go race rally cars or something<<

Yeah, plus I read that he has a Formula 1 tryout scheduled soon -- Bernie Ecclestone (sp?) has been repeatedly quoted saying that Rossi is just what F1 needs. Still, I think his first love (after motorcycles) is rally. And in Europe, Rally is a huge sport, probably bigger than F1, with higher salaries as well (if you exclude Schumacher).

My bet is that 2003 is Rossi's last season in MotoGP -- especially if he dominates next season. I don't see him continuing if it gets boring.
rsheidler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2002, 06:31 AM   #26
Pain_Seraphiin
Founding Member

Default Re: Kawasaki Calls It Quits

Think of the bright side, if enough Manufacturers drop, Harley can come back in and dominate.

Well, now that I think about it, ALL the manufacturers would have to drop.
Pain_Seraphiin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2002, 06:37 AM   #27
ducatirdr
Founding Member

If I were him I would wonder how good the contract is from Honda. Is this another Chris Walker deal?

This steals him away from Ducati and let's face it. Edwards and Hodson would be unbeatable in WSB unless there is a mechanical DNF. (may happen on the new bike).

So now Honda removes him from being a threat for Ducati in WSB and puts him into Moto GP on a second rate team with poor management half way into the season they fire him. After all he publicly voiced his anger with Honda management and then won the world title. To save face they put this deal together. My money is on them treating him like a leper next year and his results are not the same as the rest of the Honda teams and half way through the season he gets sacked.

Honda: You dishonor my family, I kill you!
ducatirdr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2002, 07:29 AM   #28
LonGene_Leonard
Founding Member

Hold on a second! Both Edwards and Hayden deserve a MotoGP ride! Why? Well, they either won or came second or third the entire season! Nicky: 9 for 16 with 5 second place. Edwards: 11 for 26 with 13 second place. We have two very talented Americans here! But American is the problem! The sponsors for MotoGP wish to have Japanese, Spainish, and Italian riders. For example, let say a rider from one of these countries has a second place finish in GP125, WSB, or GP250. They would have a MotoGP ride over an American who had a second place finish for the season. Honda does not care who rides its machines as long as they win! Its the European sponsors who insist on European riders. Edwards and Hayden will win races! Rossi will continue to win races. Bayliss will win GP races! Look at it this way: the best GP season ever will in 2003! Edwards, Hayden, Roberts, Rossi, Bayliss, maybe E bostrom, Biaggi, Checa!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I'm so excited about 2003 in GP!!!!!!!!!!!!! See ya in Estoril!!
LonGene_Leonard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2002, 07:42 AM   #29
Joe_Momma
Founding Member

Default Re: The third hand has it!

You forgot Biaggi
Joe_Momma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2002, 07:59 AM   #30
gforces
Founding Member

WILL Ducati treat him better? I can name one other Italian marque that pushed their F1 drivers to the edge, often lying to them about their lap times...
gforces is offline   Reply With Quote