Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > MotoGP

Old 09-23-2002, 02:28 PM   #1
ZR-7
Founding Member

Default Re: Results from Rio Grand Prix, Rio, Brazil

Snooozzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Philip
ZR-7 is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 09-23-2002, 03:56 PM   #2
rsheidler
Founding Member

Default Checa

Actually, it was a pretty exciting wet race -- after watching Sete in Portugal and now Checa in Brazil, I can almost say I would rather watch a wet GP than a dry one. Damn, it that was not masterful riding, I have never seen it! I understand that Checa was riding within 7% of the lap record -- in the effin rain!!

As in Portugal, it was heartbreaking to see the master of the day throw it away while in the lead, handing the win to Rossi -- who was damn impressinve himself, but that is no surprise.

I have high hopes for Checa next year -- hope he can give Rossi a real run for it.
rsheidler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2002, 06:46 PM   #3
v4bryan
Registered Member

Default Re: Checa

Damned impressive riding on everybody's part-but Rossi just stunned me with the way he arsed the bike into turn 1...unbelievable. I know Checa was turning some blazing fast times, but I would have been surprised if he finished in first place-with Rossi behind him one or the other would have gone down dicing for the lead, I bet...
v4bryan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2002, 05:15 AM   #4
jmeyn
Founding Member

Rossi seems to know exactly how fast he can go and goes just slightly slower. If you pass him, you're on the edge and just slightly out of your comfort zone. And he's sitting right on your tail, showing you a wheel. No wonder Checa fell.
jmeyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2002, 06:28 AM   #5
rsheidler
Founding Member

Rossi is absolutely the best rider I have ever seen, beyond all doubt. Not only does he have the pure physical talent, but he also has the maturity and judgement, race strategy, the apparant ability to communicate with his mechanics and other team members to develop the bike and nail the setup. I would bet that if he were to join, say, the Aprilia team, they would be winning GPs my midseason next year!

However, his brilliance has somewhat eclipsed the fact that there have been some damned great performances from some of the more mortal riders, and some of them have made real progress to the point where it is no longer a foregone conclusion that Rossi will win (although that is still where you want to bet any serious money).

Of course rain changes a lot of things -- especially regarding which bikes have the advantage -- clearly Suzuki should pray for rain every race, at least until they figure out what is missing from their performance equation -- Sete in Portugal and Kenny in Rio have been about the only bright spots for the season.

In the past, I have kinda tuned out most wet races -- they tend to be crashfests, and everyone just sorta tiptoes around trying to keep the rubber side down, but I gotta say that Estoril and Rio were two of the most exciting GPs I have seen, in large part to the performances of what I generally consider to be 2nd string riders (and I mean no disrespect, just that they are on a different plain from riders like Rossi, Doohen, Rainey -- maybe Biaggi -- etc).
Old 09-24-2002, 07:57 AM   #6
jmeyn
Founding Member

I sure agree with you a lot!

You have to include Biaggi; he's only a few places down from Rossi in the all time GP winners list and Rossi moved ahead of Rainey into 5th place after Rio!
jmeyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2002, 09:56 AM   #7
rsheidler
Founding Member

Yeah! Biaggi had slipped in my estimation in the early part of the season -- I think it may have taken him a bit longer to adapt to the 4-strokes than Checa (who rides an R-1 for practice), and perhaps is not as good as some at making the best of a bad situation (ie non-competitive Yamaha in early season). In any case, he has sure come on strong lately. I bet Yamaha are kicking themselves in the ass for letting him go -- especially since they were not able to hold on to Nicky!
Old 09-24-2002, 11:05 PM   #8
KPaulCook
Banned

Default Honda Finally Achieves Founder’s Dream

See speedtv.com for details.
KPaulCook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2002, 06:16 AM   #9
maynard
Founding Member

When Yamaha missed out on Nicky they should have picked up on the guy who was beating him so often in the latter part of the season-------EBOSS------don"t these people pay attention to AMA racing?
maynard is offline   Reply With Quote