Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > MotoGP

Old 09-18-2002, 03:19 PM   #1
merv
Founding Member

Default Re: Preview Rio Grand Prix, Jacarepagua, Brazil

I won't mind if Valentino wraps up the title this weekend. All credit to him and Honda for producing such an impressive machine first year out.
merv is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 09-19-2002, 05:38 AM   #2
jmeyn
Founding Member

Default Fireworks time?

With Biaggi, Kato, Checa, Edwards, Barros and Gibernau all desperate to prove something, Rossi needs to keep his cool. Both Yamaha and Suzuki have better tools sorted out now so it could be either great or a disaster.

I hope it's dry!
jmeyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2002, 01:53 PM   #3
rsheidler
Founding Member

Default Re: Fireworks time?

I know I can hardly wait! Biaggi has really caught fire, and/or Yamaha have really gotten the bikes sorted. I suspect Yamaha may be regretting their decision to let Biaggi go (assuming it was their, not Max's decision), especially now that they have lost Nicky as well.

What do you think about the news that Max will ride a VV5 Honda next year?
rsheidler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2002, 01:57 PM   #4
rsheidler
Founding Member

That obviously should be V 5, not W5 (actually my keyboard sorta stuttered and entered 2 Vs). Hey, if VW can build W8's and W16s (for the Bugatti), maybe someone should TRY a W something -- not sure how to package a W5 but what the hell.....
Old 09-19-2002, 02:48 PM   #5
crg
Founding Member

Default Offtopic, but newsworthy...

Thanks to RoadRacing World, it looks like things are going to heat up in 2003 MotoGP, as Max Biaggi is signed up to ride an RC211v.

Rossi, Nicky and Biaggi... throw in a little Bayliss (or a lot) and it looks like good times are in order for next year!
crg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2002, 05:44 PM   #6
jmeyn
Founding Member

The more the merrier, and Max is a real fighter.

How many RCVs did Honda say they were distributing; I think 15? And Rossi... and Biaggi... and Kato... and...... and Hayden(?)..

Think Honda has enough talent for the 2003 season?
Old 09-19-2002, 05:54 PM   #7
Benji_2
Founding Member

Default Re: Offtopic, but newsworthy...

Interesting that Biaggi is going to Honda. On one hand it's kind of disappointing to see two rivals (Rossi and Biaggi) become teammates, but on the other hand, it should prove (even more so) who is the better rider since they're on equal machines. Yeah, can't wait 'till next year, should be good!
Benji_2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2002, 05:47 AM   #8
jmeyn
Founding Member

Default Still rivals

They're not teammates. Rossi is with Repsol. Biaggi is with Pramac, a rival team, and Kato is with Fortuna Honda Gressini. Rossi's teammate at Repsol might be Nicky Hayden.
Old 09-20-2002, 05:52 AM   #9
rsheidler
Founding Member

At this rate, they will end up having built enough RCVs to meet SBK requirements

Wonder if they have set up an assembly line for them -- this is approaching the numbers where mass production makes sense.

Seriously though, I wonder if this is good for racing -- it is not like Honda doesn't already dominate, now it looks as if they intend to corner the market in top notch rider talent. If you were to ask me which riders (not bikes) had potential to be 2003 world champ, the Honda squad would pretty much encompass my list. Only other riders I might include are Bayliss and Edwards (who presumably will ride Ducati SBK not GP, and anyway, Ducati will be in a develpment year for GP). Checa could do it, but not yet, ditto Sete. Yep, several others capable of winning races, but not challanging for the title.

Yep, it'll be almost like watching an AMA 750SS race with a field of gixers and a token number of green bikes
Old 09-20-2002, 06:13 AM   #10
rsheidler
Founding Member

Default Re: Still rivals

Good point. I am sure that there is certain sharing of technical info through the Honda Factory engineers, but much of the development, tuning, setup etc will be closely held secrets of the individual teams. Given that, Rossi (and Hayden or whoever ends up on the Repsol team) must still be expected to have the best machines -- that team has the track record (remember Mick Doohen? Freddie Spenser?).

Not to take anything away from Rossi, who I consider to be the best rider in my memory, but if the teams were reversed (ie Biaggi was on the Repsol team), my money would be on Max to take the championship.

It is not just out of political correctness that the best riders out there (eg Nicky, Colin, Valentino, etc) are so quick to credit their teams when they win or place well -- it is the honest to god truth!