Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > MotoGP

Old 09-08-2002, 02:28 PM   #1
merv
Founding Member

Default Re: Portuguese GP Results

Rossi must have some deal going with the rain gods. Shame about Katoh.
merv is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 09-09-2002, 01:56 AM   #2
jmeyn
Founding Member

Kato can't get comfortable with rain; can he become great and continue to make a fool of himself in a drizzle?
jmeyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2002, 05:34 AM   #3
rsheidler
Founding Member

While I am not sure I would describe what I saw on TV as a "drizzle," I have to agree. I suggest that if Kato intends to fulfill his promise to become the next great rider (which I think he quite possibly can do), he should spend the "off-season" practicing on tracks that get lots of rain.

I was really disappointed for Sete -- except for that one mistake, he rode a perfect race. Now that is a great example of someone who has mastered riding in the wet.
rsheidler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2002, 05:41 AM   #4
rsheidler
Founding Member

Yeah, it looks like the gods are smiling on Rossi this year -- seems like on the rare occassions when his superior talent, superior machinery and superior team are not enough for him to dominate, the gods intervene in his favor.

Have to say that I am glad to finally see some real competition in GP1 this late in the season. Ditto for WSB.
Old 09-09-2002, 06:49 AM   #5
red-silver
Registered Member

I had high expectations of Kato, but you do need to keep the rubber down to win races. It is obviously a problem he will have to overcome to to be included with the best of the best.
red-silver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2002, 07:21 AM   #6
TheFox
Founding Member

Default Yamaha M1

Anyone else notice how the Yamahas don't spin up in the rain? There is a grwoing consensus that the Tuning Fork is running traction control. What a shame.

--Foxy

The best bike to take a trip on is the one you have.
TheFox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2002, 11:32 AM   #7
jmeyn
Founding Member

Default Re: Yamaha M1

Any throttle-by-wire bike with ECU controlled electronic fuel injection has the basic equipment for traction control under acceleration as well as rear wheel engine braking. Aprillia practically brags about it.

I'd be really surprised if the other guys didn't have it too.
Old 09-09-2002, 11:37 AM   #8
jmeyn
Founding Member

Gibernau was superb, but he must have felt the pressure from Rossi. I couldn't agree more; I've never enjoyed wet racing more.

By the way, Kato is just as spooked by a drizzle as by a downpour.
Old 09-09-2002, 11:38 AM   #9
jmeyn
Founding Member

Default Amen

Old 09-09-2002, 01:37 PM   #10
rsheidler
Founding Member

Yeah, that has to be the best wet racing I have ever seen. After the 250, which was pretty much a joke (didn't Elias crash 3 times and still finish in the points?), I almost decided not to watch the GP1 -- I sure would have kicked myself in the ass had I not watched it though! Rossi and Gibernau were both brilliant in those conditions!

I understand that Sete is attributing his crash to his new slipper clutch suddenly failing to slip, locking the rear tire. Of course, I'd probably make a similar excuse under the circumstances. Roberts, however, indicated that he had similar issues with the new clutch, so maybe it is not just an excuse.

I admit I have to sympathize with Kato. As an occasional amatuer racer, I have "chickened out" completely every time it rained, and in fact, am pretty wimpy in the rain even on the street. I am totally in awe of guys like Rossi and Gibernau who seem so comfortable at those lean angles in such conditions!