Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > MotoGP

Old 06-30-2002, 05:03 PM   #1
DucButt
Founding Member

Default Re: Assen GP race results

Hopkins! Nuff sed.
DucButt is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 06-30-2002, 08:04 PM   #2
superbikefan
Founding Member

Yeah, how 'bout Hopper! You have to give the guy credit for his first year GP results- he's consistently finishing in points, and except for the rain race earlier in the season he's NOT crashing! Consistency is the key- better results will come after he learns new tracks and adjusts. Great job so far!
superbikefan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2002, 02:37 AM   #3
jamesohoh7
Founding Member

Abba-lubey!

(begin blatant flag-waving)

Very impressed w/the guy... rides hard, doesn't turf it, finishes well! What amazes me is that the announcer guy, a.k.a. "The Screaming Fool", goes nuts when that Aussie kid Stoener gets through 5 laps w/out trashing it in the 250's, yet Hopper has had one bad race, in the rain, that he -still- finished!, and barely gets the occasional "Oh yes, there's that new American... he's doing o.k." nod. Here he is, finishing well again, and if it wasn't for Dennis Noyes (spelling??) interviewing Hopper in the pits, you'd probably never know he was even racing.

No doubt, Stoener is also a whiz kid, and I'm not taking anything away from him, per se, but to hear that announcer guy, you'd think Stoener was undefeated this season. I'd be willing to bet if you asked him, he would want The Screaming Fool to shut up too! (hereafter known simply as 'TSF').

(end of blatant flag-waving)

-James

jamesohoh7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2002, 04:53 AM   #4
das
Founding Member

Hey... what happened to Roberts' bike improvements? After the last race, he tested new parts and found about 1 to 1.5 sec per lap, running times that would have put him near the leaders. And yet, here he is, lagging Rossi by 33+ seconds (in 19 laps or ~ 1.7 seconds per lap).

I didn't get a chance to see the race (yet). Anybody have any insights into what happened?

I, like everyone I suppose, would like to see more than just one bike model running competitively. Roberts has the talent, and we were all encouraged by the good news from the testing. But this doesn't look good for Suzuki...
das is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2002, 05:01 AM   #5
das
Founding Member

Woohoo... Go Hopkins!

I've said it before, and I'll say it again... this kid amazing. If he can keep this up, and finish in the top 10 for the season championship, he should be a lock for Rookie of the Year (sorry Kato, I know you're ahead of Hopkins in points, but expectations were much higher for you, and others on your bike model are doing much better).

I only hope Hopkins is on a competitive bike next year (if there are any besides the one Rossi is on...) and really shine, having learned the tracks and bike better.
Old 07-01-2002, 06:31 AM   #6
rsheidler
Founding Member

Suzuki, and Roberts, have shown themselves capable of setting good qualifying times and of leading the race early, so it is puzzling what happens a few laps into the race. Seems like once Roberts lost the lead, next think I heard, he was back in 5th or 6th. Doesn't seem as if the tires could have gone off that early in the race, so the reason is not clear. My suspicion is that it is mental -- seems to me that Roberts tends to do this.

This race, and the previous couple as well, have shown that there are several other bikes and riders which, on any given day, can give Rossi and the 4-stroke Honda a good run for it. Barros sure was impressive, for being on last years 2-stroke. The gains that both Yamaha and Suzuki have made over the past few events are very encouraging.

My personal opinion is that Suzuki would be better off at this point with a different #1 rider -- my impression (based on absolutely zero first-hand knowledge) is that Roberts is not best at developing a bike -- seems that when things are not perfect, rather than either working to help determine what needs to change, or just riding around the bike/tires/?? limitations, he tends to whine and bad-mouth his equipment. I think Biaggi is somewhat the same.
rsheidler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2002, 06:57 AM   #7
S4_Daddio
Founding Member

Default Attendance figures

For some reason these attendance figures caught my eye while reading Sunday's AMA and GP results....

AMA at BIR -- 5,000

MOTOGP at ASSEN -- 101,521

I know the AMA was in Northern Minnesota, but sheesh!

S4_Daddio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2002, 07:38 AM   #8
evilgenius
Founding Member

Default Re: Attendance figures

I'm from Northern MN myself and although I'm not surprised at the (MUCH) lower attendance numbers, I think 5,000 is a little low - I would think around 18,000 - 20,000 for the 3-day total would be more accurate but I haven't seen any stats. Where did you get the numbers? Just curious so I can investigate for myself and maybe show the owners the number if I can...

A big reason for the large drop in attendance at BIR is due to new ownership (Colonel's) and the fact that they charge $$$ up the whazoo isn't pleasing fans. Road America in Wisc. and Laguna are much nicer race tracks but cost quite less so the blame is placed entirely on the new ownership (in my opinion anyway).

BIR used to see numbers above 40,000 before the new ownership, but those numbers are still a far cry from others.

Needless to say, it is very disappointing to see such low numbers at BIR or any other AMA tracks (compared to MotoGP and SBK). Seems to me that AMA needs to step up their marketing and promotional efforts...
evilgenius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2002, 08:36 AM   #9
das
Founding Member

Looking at the lap times (if you go to the MotoGP site and bring up the results window, along the top there are several drop-down lists, the right-most one is "Results" and you can choose different items there to see lots of stats)...

It seems that Roberts didn't slow down as much as everyone else sped up. For the first 15 laps or so, Roberts was in the 2'03 - 2'04 range (lap six, a 2'02, not withstanding). Everyone else started out running 2'03's also. But then, around laps 3 & 4, everyone else ahead of Roberts (particularly Barros and Rossi here) started going faster... a lot faster... like 1 or 2 seconds per lap faster than Roberts. So, Roberts didn't actually slow down, it's just that when viewed next to Barros and Rossi, it looks like he dropped anchor.

Of course, the lap times don't tell you whether it's the bike or the brain that's the limiting factor. Sete Gibernau (Robert's teammate and thus closest bike equivalent) dropped out after lap 6, so it's tough to compare there.

Roberts certainly has a history of being vocal when the equipment isn't up to snuff. But I got the impression before that it was more of ploy on Roberts' part to embarrass Suzuki into spending more on developing the bike than mere "boo-hoo, poor me" whining.

As for people challenging Rossi... I'm not so sure that it's as close as it appears. Every week somebody is apparently running with Rossi... until Rossi decides to go, and then he just leaves 'em for dead.

People complained that Doohan didn't do this (give the apperance of competition) because he just rode hard from the start and often had 10+ second leads by half race distance.

I really get the feeling that Rossi is capable of running much faster at any time. But there's no point in hanging it out there, riding on the absolute edge, every lap if you don't have to. You get the same number of points for winning by 2 seconds or by 20 seconds. And it seems that Rossi tries to lay down 2 or 3 really fast laps every race to set the fastest lap/lap record, but otherwise has no competition.

Note that even in the race he didn't win, he made a mistake on the last lap, and then, in less than half a lap, came right back up on Ukawa; it took a second mistake to cost him the victory. He's that much faster. Also note that he's turned on the jets at least a couple laps earlier in races since then; he's no dummy.
Old 07-01-2002, 10:14 AM   #10
jmeyn
Founding Member

Default Just Rossis style this year

Rossi seems completely happy following the leader as long as the leader is pushing. He just sits in the wake, conserves his tires and studies the other guy. I think he learned from Barros; he was experimenting with different lines and setting up passing strategies until he drove past him and disappeared.

He beat his own qualifying record by a second on the last two laps of the race! No sliding to speak of either.

Barros rode a great race.
jmeyn is offline   Reply With Quote