Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > MotoGP

Old 06-18-2002, 06:52 AM   #1
me_and_the_chicken
Founding Member

Default Re: Suzuki and Roberts Jr. make progress

Good show Kenny! Hopefully, we will soon see some competition for Valentino and Honda.
me_and_the_chicken is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 06-18-2002, 06:53 AM   #2
Lincoln
Founding Member

before the Suzuki will win, it must become competitive with the best 2 strokes. Then it can challenge the best 4strokes. I'd say at this point, there's a long way to go.

and i absolutely, positively refuse to say FIRST POST!!
Lincoln is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2002, 06:54 AM   #3
Lincoln
Founding Member

Default DOH!

Lincoln is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2002, 10:47 AM   #4
jpenrose
Founding Member

You go KRJR! It's a drag seeing a classy competitor like you back in the pack.
jpenrose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2002, 11:51 AM   #5
jmeyn
Founding Member

Default Wrong twice

1) Second post.

2) A half second better than KR's qualifying time is about 1:45.0 minutes. If he could lap Catalunya in the middle 1:45s for the entire race he'd win by a mile. Literally.
jmeyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2002, 12:07 PM   #6
jmeyn
Founding Member

Default Breakthrough?

KR implies that he was testing race tires. If that's true, add in that he was comfortable riding the bike at a very fast rate for three laps at .5 seconds less than his qualifying time or 1:45.032 seconds, then look out Yamaha and Honda four-strokes!

The actual race was won at way over 1:46 average!
Old 06-18-2002, 12:55 PM   #7
Joe_Momma
Founding Member

These are the kind of stories I like to see. He said a half of a second faster on race tires... Man, Kenny is going to finally get up front now! I have been waiting for this!
Joe_Momma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2002, 02:43 PM   #8
jmeyn
Founding Member

Default You bet

The team manager thanked KR for his incredible efforts during testing. Just give me that chance when everything comes up roses. I'll show you effort. Can you imagine?
Old 06-18-2002, 06:29 PM   #9
Hankkhaw
Founding Member

Every race track is gonna have it's own set of problems for Honda, Yamaha and Suzuki as far as race setup is concern. KRJ may have done well with testing at Catalunya, but Assen is an entirely different race track.

As mentioned by someone if the Suzuki can keep ahead of the best 2 stokers on any track it has a chance, otherwise it back to the drawing board.
Hankkhaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2002, 06:56 AM   #10
das
Founding Member

Default Re: Breakthrough?

Yeah, but....

1) A few riders had a few race laps in the 1:45s, but that wasn't sustainable over the course of the whole race. So comparing a 3 consecutive laps to the race winner's average lap time isn't very fair.

2) If he needed to, I suspect Valentino could have gone faster in the earlier part of the race. Meaning that if Roberts had run 1:45:03s on laps 2-7, I suspect Rossi would have done the same.

3) Testing isn't racing. You don't need to take blocking lines around corners, you don't have to ride to conserve your tires, you don't have to worry about Olivier Jaques taking you out, etc.

Don't get me wrong... I like KRJR, and I think everyone agrees that a couple more competitive bikes would make the racing a lot better.

And dropping a second or a second and a half per lap (Roberts' fastest lap in the actual race was 1:46:179, his second fastest was 1:46:440, his third fastest was 1:46:779) is certainly something to cheer about.

But that doesn't necessarily make him competitive with the Hondas & Yamahas yet (much less faster). Overall Roberts was about 1.26 seconds per lap slower than Rossi, but in the last 7 laps, Roberts' times were all in the low to mid 1:48s, whereas Rossi's times were all below 1:46.5, or about 2 full seconds faster per lap.

das is offline   Reply With Quote