Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > MotoGP

Old 05-24-2002, 11:54 AM   #1
KPaulCook
Banned

Default Re: 1000cc in-lines to WSB next year!

Yahoo! This move will probably save the series. It will definitely make it more interesting for the fans. So long Twin domination of the series.
KPaulCook is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 05-24-2002, 12:36 PM   #2
RobF4i
Founding Member

It's about time the FIM realized they needed to do something to save WSB. I was getting sick of watching the Ducati vs. (lone) Honda battles with everyone else half a lap back.
RobF4i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2002, 12:38 PM   #3
DucButt
Founding Member

I too think this will keep the series alive and exciting for the future. Now it will be interesting to see if Ducati stays with the v-twin, or develops the new GP1 v-four for superbike duty as well. Could this be the end of the Ducati v-twin in racing? In any case, I'm really looking forward to next year's racing - even though I think Colin will close up on Troy this year and make for an exciting season ending.
DucButt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2002, 12:57 PM   #4
Joe_Momma
Founding Member

Default Stop Dreaming!

I don't know why everyone is so happy. Until the big four (minus Honda) actually puts some time into R&D and building better chassis parts for these 1000cc bikes, they will still lag behind the Ducati and to a slightly lesser degree the Honda. These bikes may have a lot of good power, but they just don't turn and burn like the Superbikes... I know the Suzuki 1000 kicks ass at the endurace races but in the Canadian and British series they are still behind the twins. They may do better, but they won't dominate. Ducati is safe for now...

But who will carry the load when Bayliss goes GP? Bostrom is good but not dominating, Xaus is Count Crash a lot, Hogdson is about on par with BBoz... Colin will dominate, especially since Michelin seems to be dominating by a larger margin this year. Only Dunlop bike to win was at Sugo.

Don't flame me... I want some good racing too! The unrestricted FX bikes in AMA don't cut laps like the superbikes so I am wondering what will happen.
Joe_Momma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2002, 02:08 PM   #5
Van
Founding Member

Then again, the obvious question is how much will the 1000s be handicapped by the increased minimum weight and those air restrictors?

If they aren't too handicapped, Ducati's days using 1000 V-Twins are numbered. One can't use BSB as a template. There, you're seeing fully developed Ducks against hastily thrown together 1000cc streetbikes. Let's wait until the full focus and R&D weight of the factories are behind things such as Honda's 1000cc V4, Yamaha's homologation special R1, etc...

Once the tire companies catch up, it'll be all over. Since GP1 has already made the tire companies have to deal with 210 hp, even this issue will be moot.

Besides, look at what Honda's brand spanking new 990cc four stroke is doing in GP1 already, against the bike (NSR500) that was already the best race bike on earth.

Once Honda is allowed to throw their $$ at a 1000cc V4 Superbike, it'll be all over for Ducati...

Bare minimum, V-Twins will soon have to be allowed major handicaps, just like in '88 when the entire WSB series was set up in such a way as to give Ducati a chance.

If the fours are allowed to run unfettered and at an equal weight with the Twins then it's good night now for the twins.

On the bright side for V-Twin fans, hey, now you have a great excuse for wifey as to why you simply HAVE to buy that RC51 or Mille that you've been looking at, since they're now destined to be collector's items!
Van is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2002, 02:19 PM   #6
nitrofly
Founding Member

Judging by some of the times various motojournalists have been posting for the GSX-R 1000 on the track...I'd say both Ducati and Aprilia will have a significant fight on their hands.
Old 05-24-2002, 02:35 PM   #7
DucButt
Founding Member

Remember, Ducati has a v-four under development for motoGP - so reports of their demise in SBK may be premature. I think it was prescient of them to develop the v-four for motoGP, as they may have suspected SBK would allow 1000cc fours. This way they have both bases covered - just like Honda did in motoGP.

Regarding the competitiveness of 1000cc fours in SBK: just wait - mark my words (did anyone forget that EBoz nearly got on the WSBK podium with a very antiquated 750??). Formula Xtreme and BSB are not indicative of the true capabilities of these machines when developed by the factories specifically for WSBK.
DucButt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2002, 03:18 PM   #8
stormcloud
Founding Member

Let them playwith the rules. Changing restrictor size is easy.

If it gets twins and triples and fours putting out comparable laptimes SBK will be a fantastic spectacle.

If the fours have more power but were heavier and not handle so well, the racing, with different bikes having advantages in different parts of the track will be fantastic racing, and the series can still reflect the bikes we ride on the road.
stormcloud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2002, 04:06 PM   #9
Joe_Momma
Founding Member

Duh! That's why I said until they make the chassis up to par...
Joe_Momma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2002, 04:33 PM   #10
4in6
Founding Member

If anyone thinks this is going to stop Ducati and Honda from winning all the races your crazy. The AMA has had a Formula Extreme division for a while now with unrestricted air intakes. Guess what they still turn slower lap times than V-twins. Whos going to throw R&D money into it? Kawasaki hasent updated there 900 for four years unless you want to count the heavier crank they put in the bike this year. Honda might dump money into developing a decent chasis for the 954 but why would they there rc51 is already a frontrunner now. Yamaha was to cheap to put any R&D into a race chasis for the R1 in Formula Extreem in the AMA. Thats why the AMA last week outlawed their R1 engine in a R7 chasis The only manufacture that benifits from this is Suzuki. Since their 1000cc inline for chasis is closley related to their 750. But the restricted intake and the weight disadvantage is going to make it perform more like a 800cc bike instead of a 1000cc. So maybe next year will see the R1 and the Gixxer1000 in WSB getting their butt kicked by Ducati and Honda V-twins. Like they do in Canadian Superbike. Never getting a podium finish should really do wonders for their sales totals.
4in6 is offline   Reply With Quote