Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > MotoGP

Old 05-26-2002, 06:03 AM   #31
zx-6r_maniac
Founding Member

Default Re: 1000cc in-lines to WSB next year!

Maybe you guys dont understand, but wsb and hopefully ama does...this is the fact...its not fun to watch when a certain bike or a team has a clear advantage and the outcome of the race is not even close...its not fun to watch because its not FAIR. Try racing a ferrari against a dodge neon... Is that fun to watch? Would you watch? The hardcore racing fan would but those will watch regardless...they want to reach more people and the "nascar" approach, this being that every bike is almost equal( i say almost equal because hp and torque are not all there is to moto racing) to each other is the right approach. Every racing team is going to cry foul...but i think wsb got it right this time....Finally
zx-6r_maniac is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 05-26-2002, 07:28 AM   #32
acruhl
Founding Member

Default This rule change is an abomination

Don't kill the 750!

Why do we have to get rid of 750s? I can't seem to understand the motivation behind it.

I own an R1 and an MV Agusta F4S. And I've ridden plenty of other bikes. I really think that the 1000s are not the proper class to be promoting. When I bought the R1, I thought I had to have the biggest and baddest thing ever (and it was in '99). After riding a lot of current 600s and this MV, my opinion is changed.

1000s are not useable in a hardcore sporting sense on the street. The torque is nice for passing and generally makes it easier to cruise. But if you really turn the throttle, it's unmanageable for the most part if you're on a mountain road. I think doing more to promote these bikes by racing them in the premeir class may lead to an unfavorable conclusion.

750s are where it's at. It's the right combination of power and weight. You can really ride them and still have all the power you need.

Let's go back to the Superbike rules where we gave all this advantage to twins and rethink that part.

The 750 four cylinder is an important bike and I'd really like to see manufacturers come back to them and rethink the rules in order to make them competitive again, rather than kill them and use NASCAResque restrictors and crap like that. Come on!
acruhl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2002, 06:37 PM   #33
stormcloud
Founding Member

Interesting idea.

Maybe a capacity limit for twins to 900cc or 950cc..........

This would be easy for the manufacturers to adjust to.

stormcloud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2002, 06:46 PM   #34
KPaulCook
Banned

Default Re: This rule change is an abomination

I think you are on to something. I think you are definetly right about 750s. Right now only Suzuki has a up to date 750. The Interceptor went to 800cc and on to the sport touring crowd. The ZX-7R is a good bike but out dated. You can't buy a R-7 anymore right. So this could be the end of the 750. Some would say that the current crop of 600s are where the 750s used to be. Even Hayden rides his Zx6R against the 750s in super stock.

KPaulCook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2002, 05:05 AM   #35
marcel_g
Founding Member

Default Re: This rule change is an abomination

I've heard that the Spanish superbike series went to 600cc superbikes, which is also an interesting idea. Otherwise, it's too bad that superbikes will have to change, but the manufacturers are going with where the market is, and that's for litre bikes, not 750s. If the economy tanks and insurance for 1000s becomes unaffordable, then it might change around again. Then again, my insurance for a zx6 or a zx9 is virtually identical: way too much. So I ride a zx9, and I'm still waiting to see Kawasaki's rumoured zx-10r.
http://aporia.brainmade.com
marcel_g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2002, 06:26 AM   #36
spindizzy
Founding Member

They can't - the MotoGP bike has to be a prototype - that is a NON PRODUCTION bike. And a superbike has to be a production bike. Non issue really.
spindizzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2002, 08:07 AM   #37
4in6
Founding Member

Hey you can't tell me a guy riding a gixxer 750 sponsered by Joe's Bag 'O Doughnuts is the same deal that Nickey Hayden has. You would be suprised how fast those guys would be if they could ride all out.
4in6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2002, 01:20 PM   #38
jodiesel
Founding Member

So you're saying that if Nicky were on a Gixxer 750, that he wouldn't be finishing where he does????

jodiesel@earthlink.net
jodiesel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2002, 03:14 PM   #39
RobM
Founding Member

This is fantastic, but can anyone tell me why it is not 18.6mm instead of 18.7 for the twin intake 4s?
RobM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2002, 05:30 PM   #40
DucButt
Founding Member

I understand what SBK rules, Spindizzy - and I disagree that it is a non-issue. When I said Ducati could develop the v-four for superbikes, I meant to imply that it would be based on a production engine. Don't be too surprised if Ducati secretly has a v-four production bike under development-as I stated in another post, this would cover both bases.
DucButt is offline   Reply With Quote