Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > MotoGP

Old 05-25-2002, 05:48 AM   #21
4in6
Founding Member

Default Re: 1000cc in-lines to WSB next year!

Brian Pariott I think thats how you spell his name is in ninth place. I'm not sure but I believe Brian Livingood is a privater also I am not sure on that one though. I am pretty sure if you gave some of those privateers a factory ride they would be up front within a year or two. Some of them are never going to be at Nickey,Matt,Duhammel's level but some of them are great riders that have just been overlooked. Anyone remember a guy named Scott Russel he started out as a privateer and all he did was win a few championships. Those guys will be the ones getting factory rides when EBoz and Hayden go to the world scene.
4in6 is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 05-25-2002, 05:51 AM   #22
zx-6r_maniac
Founding Member

ducati better bring some astroglide next yr...cause if not... its going to hurt a little

death to ducati
zx-6r_maniac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2002, 08:57 AM   #23
Van
Founding Member

DucButt, exactly. What I was saying is that time is short now for 1000cc V-Twins in WSB, not Ducati as a WSB racing entity.

If Ducati is willing to forego their beloved V-Twins then it's a whole new ball game.

On the other hand, I remember reading an interview with a Ducati bigwig where he described the possibility that WSB may bump the V-Twin limit to 1200ccs once 1000cc Fours are allowed.

One way or the other, Fours will always have to be handicapped against Twins, obviously.

Personally, I think handicapping one type goes against the spirit of racing. I'd like to see all the restrictions and handicaps removed, and THEN let's see what the manufacturers offer the buying public in the way of race reps!

Then again, the bastards never call me up to see what I think!!
Van is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2002, 09:09 AM   #24
El_Flaco
Founding Member

Default Yamaha V4??

Yamaha is running an inline-4 in the M1 GP bike this year, but yes, Suzuki does have a V4 in their bike. Lots more work to be done, especially on the Suzuki, to beat the V5.
Old 05-25-2002, 04:20 PM   #25
jodiesel
Founding Member

Hey 4in6, yes you're right, there are 2 privateers in the top ten currently. Between the two of them, they have 13 sponsors. Chandler & Roberts are not in the top 10 because of crashes & DNF. I'm not saying by any means that those two "privateers" aren't extremely good riders, but I do believe they would not be doing any better if they were riding factory Hondas.
jodiesel@earthlink.net
jodiesel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2002, 04:31 PM   #26
KPaulCook
Banned

Default Re: Yamaha V4??

Thanks for setting me straight.
KPaulCook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2002, 04:31 PM   #27
KPaulCook
Banned

Default Re: Yamaha V4??

Thanks for setting me straight.
KPaulCook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2002, 04:35 PM   #28
DucButt
Founding Member

Roger that, Van - I'm with ya.
DucButt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2002, 04:46 PM   #29
mgivogue
Founding Member

In my opinion (and probably all the motorcycle factories out of Japan agree), the AMA formula extreme and Canadian Superbike are second class racing federations that are not often broadcast nationally let alone internationaly. As such they have no reason to put a lot of R&D (read factory parts and support) into the 1000cc bikes. Now that WSB is going to allow 1000cc bikes into the best road-based racing federation alot of R&D $$$ is going to be put into the bikes. It may not be immediate but soon 1000cc 4 cylinder bikes will catch up and overtake the V twins.
mgivogue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2002, 12:55 AM   #30
stormcloud
Founding Member

I really just mean to even things out between someone like Marty Craggill and , say, Duhamel (I think he's short??).

A lean 6'3" rider will weigh lots more than a lean 5'4" - even people of the same height can weigh hugely different due merely to bone structure etc.

eg Doohan was naturally very slight, and may have even weighed less than a shorter, equally lean rider.......

Maybe a maximum combined weight, allowing heavier riders a lighter bike??
stormcloud is offline   Reply With Quote