Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > MotoGP

Old 05-24-2002, 06:45 PM   #11
Bryan8252
Founding Member

Default Re: 1000cc in-lines to WSB next year!

I think Ducati should immediately fire their management team, engineers and designers--clean house. Then, they should quickly hire you to run things, because obviously they are stupid and know nothing about winning races or building motorcycles. They are so stupid in fact, that they are really surprised by this announcement and are caught entirely flat footed by the new rule. Devistated by this announcement, they are seriously considering withdrawing from racing entirely and building scooters. But, since their demise seems iminate--you being all knowing and able to predict the future of motorcycle companies could surely be helpful to them in some way. Get real.
Bryan8252 is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 05-24-2002, 07:12 PM   #12
stormcloud
Founding Member

Check out Australian superbikes where the 1000cc fours have taken over with few modifications from stock.

The FIM spec bikes (HIGHLY modified 750 fours and 1000 twins) may have been competitive, but at many times the cost of a competitive 1000cc bike (which had few modifications allowed).

If Mladin, Gobert, Bostrom can be close on their Jap 750 fours, imagine the same machines with more torque and/or more power. It's not hard to get a R1 or GSXR1000 to 170 HP while still close to stock and they have enormous amounts of torque. Give them the current mods allowed to 750's and the twins wouldnt have a hope with out the restrictors in place. It wont cost more to run a 1000 than a 750.

Personally I think the weight limits should include the rider. e.g. a bike with a 65kg rider should have to carry more weight (maybe on the rider) than the same bike with an 80kg rider.

LET THE FLAMING BEGIN.......

SERIOUSLY, what do others think??.
stormcloud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2002, 08:03 PM   #13
ha41ga
Founding Member

Hmmm....Wonder if if a factory-supported Yamaha team might have a go (again) at toppling the twins that be???
ha41ga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2002, 08:47 PM   #14
KPaulCook
Banned

Default Could V-4s be the next dominate configuration?

It seems like a 90 degree V-4 may be the optimal configuration. The V-4 has the advantages of inline 4 on the top end and the nice natural balance of a V twin. Are V-4s of Yamaha and Suzuki in Moto GP the beginning of a Back to the Future (remember the Interceptor is based on a V4 racebike)? But then Honda ruins that theory with a wacky V-5 and Aprilla with a Triple, go figure. Also the restricter plates are as someone said the fine print that may keep the inline 4s down. I wish some one could tell me how the restrictions purposed for the inline 4s compare with the current V-Twin restrictions.

KPaulCook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2002, 08:50 PM   #15
KPaulCook
Banned

Excellent Post. Great Summary of things.
Old 05-24-2002, 08:58 PM   #16
KPaulCook
Banned

Good post. The Australian stuff is interesting. However, I don't like any handicapping. I think it should be 1000cc and anything else goes. If people want technology parity or just want the riders to be the only variable then perhaps a IROC style series should be developed for motorcycles. Maybe WSB could be the IROC thing and MotoGP be the two wheel version of Formula One. Does Formula One have any handicapping? I enjoy both styles of series.
Old 05-25-2002, 04:41 AM   #17
jodiesel
Founding Member

I think you guys are all wet. The top ten racers in any of the series, AMA, FIM etc.. are going to finish in the top ten no matter what they ride (except maybe a hardley....). It's all about skill, no fear and ball size.

Take the AMA for example, give all those Suzuki 750 'privateer' riders a factory Honda RC and Nicky & Duhamel will still lap them.

It's NOT the shoes...

jodiesel@earthlink.net
jodiesel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2002, 05:21 AM   #18
4in6
Founding Member

Hey I don't have a problem with them making the bikes equal but adding weight to one rider to make him weigh as much as another is lame. If I go out and eat buffalo wings and drink beer all off season while another rider works out and stays in shape than he deserves to have the advantage. Obviously he cares about winning more than the fat guy.
4in6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2002, 05:35 AM   #19
4in6
Founding Member

Yamaha doesen't even put money into the R1 now. They don't care about winning enough to put allot of money into it. If they did it wouldn't have been using the r7 chasis and r1 engine They are happy being the fifth largest distributer of motorcycles and show no desire to move ahead. All they do is make bikes that people want to by no matter what they do on the track.
Old 05-25-2002, 05:38 AM   #20
4in6
Founding Member

Hey jodiesl have you looked at the AMA Superbike points? There are privateers in the top ten.