Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > MotoGP

Old 04-01-2002, 06:42 AM   #1
shash_what
Founding Member

Default Re: Ducati's GP bike breaks cover

FIRST POST!

go here for pics first-- http://www.ducati.com/docs_eng/photo...c/dr_down.html
shash_what is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 04-01-2002, 07:14 AM   #2
jmeyn
Founding Member

What a concept: a press release with content.

Honda's also working hard in the wind-tunnel; it looks like aeros may be key in saving tires as well as fuel this year.

No more one size fits all, I guess.
jmeyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2002, 07:17 AM   #3
NickdaBrick
Founding Member

Default Cool! But what's with the exhaust pipes?

They're humongous. Have those clever Ducati engineers figured out how to use expansion chambers on a 4-stroke?
NickdaBrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2002, 07:22 AM   #4
TheFox
Founding Member

Default Re: Cool! But what's with the exhaust pipes?

I think it's to save weight yet still comply with the noise restrictions. The old volume vs surface area problem, you know? This way they have just one pipe that is a little lighter than the two small ones put together. In addition, it's probably more aerodynamic - this wide but very low profile can hangs down less from the tail, resulting in less resistance as air comes off the bike.

I think it looks really trick too. Anyone have any idea why the openings in the can are different shapes and sizes?

--Foxy

The best bike to take a trip on is the one you have.
TheFox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2002, 07:57 AM   #5
granny
Founding Member

Default Interesting day on which to announce the GP bike

Is April 1 universally regarded as a day for pranks? I Hope not as this is an interesting bike and a break in Ducati tradition. I'd like to see a GP inspired street version but shudder to think of the purchase price and maintenance costs. Currently, Duc's require service every 10KM, the cost of a 30KM service for a 916 is $750 in this locale. The main component of the cost of any scheduled service is the valve lash check/adjust (BTW, $750 is for only 8 valves not 16 - yuk).
granny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2002, 08:14 AM   #6
evilgenius
Founding Member

Noise reduction limits have been increased so the design won't include much noise reduction factor.

Personally, I think Ducati wants to retain the 'look' that users are familiar with. But , I'm no engineer and I don't understand the dymanics of exhaust flow/shape/resonance as well as I would like...
evilgenius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2002, 08:52 AM   #7
Vlad
Registered Member

We'll all have to wait until this new series of GP bikes competes on the tracks of the world to see who has the fastest, but Ducati has already won one contest - they have created the most beautiful bike. While their competitors looks like clones from the same mold, the Ducati offers dramatically different styling. Now if they could only make a street bike with the new two valve engine that looks like this one they would have me saving up for one, and I think I would have to get in line.

Vlad
Vlad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2002, 10:20 AM   #8
fernandopan
Founding Member

This bike is going to be the coolest on the race track!!

The openings in the can are not different. The angle of the photo makes them look different.

If you look close, you will see that the openings are not perpendicular to the direction of the bike, but in a different angle.
fernandopan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2002, 10:35 AM   #9
El_Flaco
Founding Member

I hope that exhaust can is an April Fools' prank... It's pretty ugly and doesn't seem to fit that tail section very well at all. For Italian styling, it seems to be lacking so far- many of the others are far more attractive in my eye.
Old 04-01-2002, 12:04 PM   #10
obandoj
Founding Member

Default Jose Obando

If it goes as good as it looks, everybody else will be in trouble, time will tell.
obandoj is offline   Reply With Quote