Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > MotoGP

Old 04-01-2002, 05:02 PM   #11
Bryan8252
Founding Member

Default Re: Interesting day on which to announce the GP bike

Granny--If you can't afford $750.00 every 6000 miles for service on a Duc, then you are not in your element. People like you should buy Honda Intercepters. Everybody has one and anyone can afford one. Duc's are special. They are built for people who truly appreciate the art of the motorcycle and are willing to pay for the privilage of owning the very best. They are not built for the masses.

Bryan
Bryan8252 is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 04-01-2002, 07:44 PM   #12
badsac
Founding Member

Default Re: Cool! But what's with the exhaust pipes?

Ha. Good spot.
badsac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2002, 10:49 PM   #13
shash_what
Founding Member

Default exhaust canister

Many people seem to be complaining about the exhaust pipe. It's not the pipe that's big, it's the tail-piece that is so svelte which makes the pipe look big in comparision. The canister probably is the same size as the two termignonis together on the 998/748. Personally, I can't comment on the styling before I see the front quarter of the bike, but considering the history of Ducati, I'll expect the thing to be a hard-on-inizer (wow, I gotta apply for a patent on that word).
shash_what is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2002, 03:32 AM   #14
me_and_the_chicken
Founding Member

Noise restrictions? I didn't know about those, but it fits with the reasons I was considering. When you get right down to it, the increased volume throughout the system can only do it good by decreasing back pressure.

It would also make more sense than trying to route 4 individual pipes back to the can and saving weight as you said.

My next question is will the team wrap the system with heat tape.

Also, there would be no reason for even considering expansion chambers on a four stroke as there are not the same internal dynamics within the case of the engine (comparing with a two stroke of course).

Later on,

Big Din K.R.
me_and_the_chicken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2002, 05:47 AM   #15
jmeyn
Founding Member

My guess is it's part of an EXUP type tuning system aimed at smoothing and broadening the power band. With max power at 16K rpm and max torque at 14K they must need some kind of tuning to get managable thrust from 10 to 14K.

There's a question about this posted at www.ducati.com.
jmeyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2002, 06:08 AM   #16
jmeyn
Founding Member

Default Re: Interesting day on which to announce the GP bike

Don't forget insurance!

Street versions of WSB and AMA Formula Xtreme bikes are pretty insane, when you think about it. But fun insane.

Old 04-02-2002, 06:32 AM   #17
jmeyn
Founding Member

Default Re: exhaust canister

Are you talking about the pipe or the canister? It looks like a dual two-into-one system; the two exhaust ports in each bank feed a pipe with a cross-section way greater than twice the port area. About twice the diameter or four times the area.

The canister looks really small compared to the two enormous pipes that fill it although it's much closer to the camera.
Old 04-02-2002, 07:06 AM   #18
grover750
Founding Member

Default wow! if only I could be so special...

Did you lift your last two sentences from a Ducati brochure or a HD brochure? I love it when people take a poor feature ($750 every 6000 miles is ridiculous!) and try to turn it into a feature of a status symbol. How much money would I have to throw away to be in the "Ducati element", Bryan?

BTW, I really like Ducatis (and some HDs), but can't stand the attitude that accompanies most riders. BMW riders have over priced bikes also, but they don't seem to have the attitude.

I guess I must be part of the masses. Poor me.

Ride on,

grover750

grover750 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2002, 07:14 AM   #19
shash_what
Founding Member

Default Re: exhaust canister

The pipe looks really trick. More like an expansion chamber, and I suspect it has been designed to work as one too-- i.e. to regulate the back pressure at various RPMs. What say?
shash_what is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2002, 07:27 AM   #20
luvmyvfr
Founding Member

Default Ducatis are beautiful, but "best"?

Funny,

When I go riding, I see more Ducati's than I do Interceptors (spell it right, for crying out loud), but not even those nearly so much as R1's, CBR's and Ninjas. I would say Interceptors are some of the rarer sport bikes (sport-touring to motorcyclists, but try to tell someone you ride a sport-touring bike and all they hear is sport bike) on the road.

Are you just mad at Interceptors because their motor is the antithesis of a Ducati desmo-whichever, never needing a valve adjustment? Do you have to pick on them because deep down you feel bad about paying $750 every 6000 miles to have your ego/wee-wee replacement/status symbol/work of art (pick whichever suits you the best) adjusted? While I agree that Ducati have some of the prettiest motorcycles, it's hard for me to equate that with being the "best" motorcycles, irrespective of what they've won, or how much they cost. To me "best" means it is perfect, or the most perfect, for me. So far a Ducati would only be my second bike, not my first. Probably because I ride more than the average Duc owner, so position, performance and cost weigh equally with me.

luvmyvfr
luvmyvfr is offline   Reply With Quote