Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Events & Racing > Motocross Forum

Old 08-14-2010, 12:33 PM   #1
mscuddy
MODERATOR X

Default El Mirage Protest Ride

A couple weeks ago, I had the fortune to be invited to a press introduction for the Kawasaki KX450F, held at Racetown 395, the old Sunrise Cycle Park, about five miles outside of Adelanto.

After the press intro was over, instead of jumping on the I-15 South and getting stuck in horrible traffic, my buddy Karl and I decided to hit it down El Mirage road, since we were only about 12 miles away from El Mirage, and stop in at Murphy’s bar to get some much needed food and drink.

On the way to Murphy’s, we had to drive through places that were once thriving small communities, most had a store, a bar/restaurant, a couple of simple houses and a gas station. Every one of them was shuttered, overgrown with weeds and bushes, closed for business. Empty, devoid of life. A ghost town.

This same scene repeated itself for the next twelve miles down El Mirage Road, houses, farms and restaurants closed up, and what looked like for good.

The Lazy 3, with its oversized patio and restaurant/bar area, along with the attached houses and gas station, was gone, boarded up tight. Like a war had hit the place. Jeez, Karl and I looked at each other, and I said “Well Murphy’s hasn’t closed since I was a kid, it’s sure to be open for business.”

As we got a few hundred yards away from Murphy’s, there was the “NEW” entrance to El Mirage dry lake, with a guard shack, and toll booth that charges ten bucks a crack for each vehicle.

Also, the entire lake has been fenced off, with some serious cables strung through sturdy telephone poll sized posts, making it impossible to access the lake from any other point but the toll booth road.

What this has effectively done has stopped any dirt rider from crossing the lake, and making it to any number of eateries or bars, like the Lazy 3, or Murphy’s. Also, the people who once worked at these places that catered to the off-road enthusiast had to pack up and move away, leaving whole small community’s ghost towns.

A few hundred yards later there was my old friend, Murphy’s bar and grill, closed up tight, with a “4 SALE” sign stuck on the front door.

The small town that clustered around Murphy’s was empty, an open shutter from one of the abandoned houses banged in the wind.

Not a soul was around, it was creepy, like one of those Sci Fi pictures from the fifties after the A bomb had dropped. I wrote down the number off the for sale sign, maybe I could call up and see what happened, but no one answered. Murphy’s was dead. Just like old Murph himself.

See, when the BLM closes up a riding area, they close up more than just the place to ride, they shut down everything that supported it, the gas stations, the stores, the bars & restaurants. The communities, everything.

Just so they can take control, and charge you money to ride on public land. If we had any balls, we’d be out there with a few dozen carbide saws, some portable generators and cut down the fence that caused this. And if the BLM rangers want a fight, we’d give it to them.

There is a time to negotiate, and a time to fight. The time to fight is now.

Please help with the fight.

Superhunky.com is going to have a protest ride at El Mirage in the near future, and we want as many dirt riders as possible to show up, and give the BLM the finger. The details will be posted in a couple days (we have a secret entrance to El Mirage the BLM Ranger's don't know about).

We need to organize, and fight this creeping expansion of BLM power. Nazis in green SUV's is all they are, not there to help, but to harrass and levi fines. And close down the desert.

Most of the time if you call their bluff they just go away. Because they know the only real power they have is a Glock .40 strapped on their side. Cowards.

Last edited by mscuddy : 08-14-2010 at 12:38 PM.
mscuddy is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 08-14-2010, 12:58 PM   #2
seruzawa
The Toad

Destroying people's livelihoods is the goal. Environmentalism is just the excuse for little hitlers to wield power. You don't need to hang around green websites very long to detect the vicious streak of misanthropy.

The govt employee in the guard shack is making more money than you'll ever see and will retire long before you do with a much bigger pension.

Shut up, vote republicrat and pay your taxes slaves.
Old 08-14-2010, 04:39 PM   #3
sarnali2
Aging Cafe` Racer

It's the same all over, there are miles of logging roads up here closed up with nice big yellow steel barriers. You used to be able to take a Jeep or dirt bike all over the place, I took my trusty old '75 Dodge Ramcharger up some goat trails that'd make you nose bleed.

Unfortunately a lot of this people brought on themselves by dumping cars, fridges, and whatever else they could haul out there. I really don't blame the Logging Companies for closing off their property when slobs trash it and Enviro-whacko's go damage equipment and spike trees. Sad all the same though, reasonable people like me and you are the ones that miss out on a day beating about the brush.

"He said he's farting because of his medication"...
sarnali2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2010, 08:50 PM   #4
seruzawa
The Toad

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarnali2 View Post
It's the same all over, there are miles of logging roads up here closed up with nice big yellow steel barriers. You used to be able to take a Jeep or dirt bike all over the place, I took my trusty old '75 Dodge Ramcharger up some goat trails that'd make you nose bleed.

Unfortunately a lot of this people brought on themselves by dumping cars, fridges, and whatever else they could haul out there. I really don't blame the Logging Companies for closing off their property when slobs trash it and Enviro-whacko's go damage equipment and spike trees. Sad all the same though, reasonable people like me and you are the ones that miss out on a day beating about the brush.
Slightly different since these dry lakes aren't private property. These are just cheapshyt ways to screw with people and create more worthless govt jobs.
Old 08-15-2010, 11:08 AM   #5
mscuddy
MODERATOR X

I've been riding at El Mirage since I was ten, that was 1968. It's been open to the public FREE, and a whole community built up around it, that catered to the off-road folks who showed up every day.

Everything between Hi Vista and Phelin was open desert, with El Mirage at the center. When you went into Murphy's they had Magic Markers on the bar, so you could write something on the cieling, I've got stuff written up there that's all faded away, maybe thirty years old, stuff like "AT1's RULE THE DESERT!" and one time I was up there on my 45th birthday, all alone, and wrote next to it "NO THEY DON'T CR500's RULE THE DEZ NOW!"

I wanted to buy the place, maybe make a new start at something, but after looking around the BLM has killed off everything with their fences and roving band of idiots in big green SUV's. If I were a stronger man, without a lot to lose, I'd sit at the top of the ant hill between the dry lake and Shadow Mtn with a high calber rifle and let nature take its course.

Like old Steely Dan said "The time of our time has come and gone..." But damn it I wanted to make new old memories, not replay the ones I've got. Too many ghosts of riders long gone and bikes with 'em to let the place get closed up, its almost a religous place to me, it never changes, I can go to the same trail my Uncle and I rode in 1970, and it was still the same, same bumps, rocks and the same feeling.

It's not over. I take the handivan (it's quite the off-road vehicle believe it or not) down El Mirage road to County Line road, make a hard left, and I'm back thirty years. Close my eyes and I'm sitting shotgun in my Uncle's '65 Mustang towing a Willys trailer with an A10 and Mini Enduro in it, looking forward to another day of riding, and comradrie with our riding buddies. No green sticker or spark arrestor back then.

Oh well, living vicariously is not living. Not for me at least.
Old 08-16-2010, 06:32 AM   #6
pplassm
Founding Member

It's not just in the West that this is happening. Here on the right coast, we ride on national forest roads through the National Forests run by the Department of Agriiculture.

This is perfectly legal, as long as our bikes are licensed.

Every time we go out, we encounter more closed gates and shut down riding areas. Talking to, or attempting to work with the rangers is futile, and self-defeating. They just want to know where you're going so they can shut it down next time.

It does seem to get worse during Democrat adminstrations.

Aren't we paying for this, too?