Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Events & Racing > Motocross Forum

Old 05-08-2010, 10:48 AM   #1
mscuddy
MODERATOR X

Default Project Two 50

Here are a bunch of die hard two-stroke guys, who are going against the four stroke fad by running a YZ250 in the national MX circuit. Looks like their 250 is turning faster lap times too.

They are running some space-age technology in the YZ to get it clean and fast, since it's at a 10 hp disadvantage against the 450's.

Here's a quote from the website. How true...

HOW WE GOT HERE: Mike Leavitt is one of District 34’s favorite sons, he is a twelve-time Loretta Lynn’s National Amateur Championship competitor which makes him one of the nation’s best Pro-Am riders. Mike is a former D34 Champion in the 80cc class. He has qualified for the Nationals in his home state of New York – Unadilla to be precise. While he could have added more District titles to his credit, he chose to travel to the big races, the national amateur circuit and eventually the Pro Nationals.

In spite of all this, this talented young man gave up motocross; the cost to benefit ratio of racing a modern four-stroke at the Pro level wasn’t paying returns. He was miserable though as a warrior without a war to fight usually is. He decided to go back to what he learned to ride on, a lightweight two-fifty two-stroke and the rest is history. He won not one but two District 34 titles on the two-stroke beating all comers, including former nationally ranked Pro riders, Carlo Coen, Mike Spear and Kurt McMillen.

Then the light bulb went off: “Why am I putting an additional four thousand dollars into my 450f when for five hundred dollars I won a championship on a two-stroke. The bike is a ton lighter; it handles much quicker, and is way more fun to ride.” During timed lap sessions at his personal track, Leavitt was 3-4 seconds a lap faster on the more agile motorcycle.

“It just made more sense,” was Mike’s reasoning. Along the way he picked up ardent two-stroke fans, John Nicholas and Derek Harris who started the “Project Two-50” program. The intention is to do what has not been done in recent years: race a 250cc two-stroke in the AMA Pro Motocross Nationals.

“I’m confident I can do it with the right support. I’m ready to race and training like a beast for this challenge. I’m in the best shape of my life and I’m just hoping the fans can get behind “Project Two-50” and help us see it all the way through.”

Look for a complete interview with the major players on the you-know-where website. Check it out:

Project Two 50

Last edited by mscuddy : 05-08-2010 at 10:58 AM.
mscuddy is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 05-08-2010, 11:09 AM   #2
The_AirHawk
Founding Member

Catch the Eye of Sauron and he will send his Uruk-Hai to make you a Greasy Spot on the map of Middle Earth...........
Let them hate so long as they fear
политики предпочитают безоружных крестьян
Politicians Prefer Unarmed Peasants
Nothing to see here, Citizen. Move along now...
The_AirHawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2010, 11:14 AM   #3
mscuddy
MODERATOR X

Default Stay away from that bong in the morning...

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_AirHawk View Post
Catch the Eye of Sauron and he will send his Uruk-Hai to make you a Greasy Spot on the map of Middle Earth...........

Uh, OK...stinky green ones for breakfast again eh?
Old 05-08-2010, 11:21 AM   #4
The_AirHawk
Founding Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mscuddy View Post
Uh, OK...stinky green ones for breakfast again eh?
No, just a reference that Big Bike(tm) will convince the AMA to somehow Outlaw him if he meets with success.
Let them hate so long as they fear
политики предпочитают безоружных крестьян
Politicians Prefer Unarmed Peasants
Nothing to see here, Citizen. Move along now...
The_AirHawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2010, 12:15 PM   #5
seruzawa
The Toad

Two ways to go faster:

1- more power

2- less weight.

On a dirt track less weight can make you faster against almost any amount of horsepower from heavier bikes. You see there's a thing called "traction". This "traction" has severe limits on dirt. Is this forgotten technology?

We'll see if BigBike(tm) gets him banned. With KTM bringing out 2smokes the 4strikers have got to be getting nervous.
Old 05-08-2010, 02:10 PM   #6
mscuddy
MODERATOR X

When I covered the Monsters of Motocross for off-road.com in October of '08, I got a chance to shoot the bull with Malcolm Smith. The subject of four stroke MX bikes came up, and Malcolm said, and I quote "Four strokes are a passing fad."

And after talking with the guys from the Two 50 project this morning, with a 250 YZ (two stroke) they are beating the 450's by 3 seconds a lap. Look for the debut on June 5th in Texas. A sandy track the two stroke will kick some a$$ on. Looks like the four stroke is already on the ropes, they aren't selling any.

The privateer can't afford the costs of a four striker, hence beginners and privateers are moving back to the 2 stroke. And some amazing technology that will be incorporated into the project Two 50 bike will let them run a 200.1 mix with no engine damage.