Motorcycle Forum

Motorcycle Forum (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/)
-   Motocross Forum (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/motocross-forum/)
-   -   2010 YZ450F update (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/motocross-forum/14574-2010-yz450f-update.html)

mscuddy 02-28-2010 09:58 AM

2010 YZ450F update

In putting together an expose' on the unbelievable high costs four stroke Japanese bikes cost to maintain, (Rick Sieman: SuperHunky.com) it was discovered that you have to change the circlips (you know, those things that hold the wrist-pin in) every ten hours of operation, on the new Yamahammer.

So that means an entire top-end removal, just to replace circlips? Every 10 hours? While that might have been a 2 hour job on an old YZ250, I can't imagine how long, or what you have to do, to get the top end off a new YZ450F.

I'd use high explosives myself.

And on another note, I've been getting quite a few emails from disatisfied four stroke owners, who want to stick a two-stroke motor in their four stroke chassis, after the motor has grenaded and left them without a ride, or the unbelievable amount of $$$ it takes to rebuild one from the bottom end up.

The "F" at the end of YZ450 must stand for "fool".

seruzawa 02-28-2010 11:54 AM

Have any of the bike mags, especially dirt bike mags, made mention of these problems? They can't be unaware of them.

longride 02-28-2010 02:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by seruzawa (Post 235909)
Have any of the bike mags, especially dirt bike mags, made mention of these problems? They can't be unaware of them.

Sure they are unaware, or don't give a crap. They don't have to buy, or maintain the bikes they test, so why should they care? It's all about ad dollars!

MOKE1K 02-28-2010 04:35 PM

Bring the strokes back,....

Quote:

Originally Posted by mscuddy (Post 235903)
In putting together an expose' on the unbelievable high costs four stroke Japanese bikes cost to maintain, (Rick Sieman: SuperHunky.com) it was discovered that you have to change the circlips (you know, those things that hold the wrist-pin in) every ten hours of operation, on the new Yamahammer.

So that means an entire top-end removal, just to replace circlips? Every 10 hours? While that might have been a 2 hour job on an old YZ250, I can't imagine how long, or what you have to do, to get the top end off a new YZ450F.

I'd use high explosives myself.

And on another note, I've been getting quite a few emails from disatisfied four stroke owners, who want to stick a two-stroke motor in their four stroke chassis, after the motor has grenaded and left them without a ride, or the unbelievable amount of $$$ it takes to rebuild one from the bottom end up.

The "F" at the end of YZ450 must stand for "fool".

I hate to tell ya, but Yamaha Motor Company recommends that you tear the engine down to the crank even if your not racing the bike after 10hours it states it specifically in the manual. Four strokes suck, no wonder Yamaha is still selling the YZ250.

pplassm 03-01-2010 05:10 AM

Bwahahaha! I just bought a very nice YZ250 for peanuts. PEANUTS!

They're practically giving them away!

Get one now, before all the two-strokes dissappear!

It's fantastic, too. Extremely light, powerful, and bulletproof.

And, the WR400/426 drops right in (with a little case releaving).