Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > MORidian

Old 10-30-2001, 10:13 AM   #1
VFRider
Registered Member

Default Re: Arai announces new Astral

Do not go to www.araiamericas.com as they make no mention of the Astral.
VFRider is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 10-30-2001, 10:43 AM   #2
TatdNPrcd
Founding Member

Default Re: Arai announces new Astral ...BUT is it quieter?!?

This all sounds good but is it any quieter than the Quantum/f? I've got a head like Charlie Brown so the Quantum is the only thing I can wear that dosn't give me a headache after 3 or 4 hours but the damn thing is so loud I need earplugs for anything longer than commuter duty.
TatdNPrcd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2001, 11:38 AM   #3
Joe_Momma
Founding Member

Is this one $500+ and only cost a fraction of that to make?
Joe_Momma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2001, 12:06 PM   #4
blip
Founding Member

Lawsuits, Momma, lawsuits. Gotta fund the squids and their lawyers...
blip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2001, 05:51 PM   #5
RWUB
Founding Member

That, and you also have to pay for the reasearch and development costs, advertisements/promotions, and all the ones that didn't pass spec.
RWUB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2001, 10:00 PM   #6
letsride
Founding Member

Default Have you tried SHOEI RF800/900?

Your comment on Quantum/F noise caught my attention as I'm in the market for 1 (mainly due to the fit & comfort, along with some cool graphics). I've worn AGV and currently commute with a SHOEI RF800. It's extremely quiet compared to my old AGV. Very comfortable fit. Great shield system (I'll 2nd Sport Rider magazine's opinion in their helmet test article). The outer shell profile seemed to be a bit larger than most other helmets in the SHOEI line and ARAI (although it does NOT seem to weight substantially more). The Quantum/F seemed to be nice and light when I tried it in the store (just from a preliminary head wiggle test). $400 for the Quantum/F. Noisy you said?... humm...??

letsride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2001, 11:43 PM   #7
Knightrider
Founding Member

Default Re: Arai announces new Astral ...BUT is it quieter?!?

I too have a Quantum/F, I traded in my old AGV for it. The Quantum is very comfortable, and quieter than the AGV, but you do have to wear ear plugs or risk going deaf. It is my understanding that all full coverage helmets are fairly noisy and you have to wear ear plugs.

I bought mine based on fit and magazine tests, I am not sorry. Got a good discount by shopping around, but still very expensive.
Knightrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2001, 05:58 AM   #8
veloce4c
Founding Member

FI you ever look at the production process of Arai you would understand. Quality is not cheap once they reach the snell rating all offer same level of protection the diffrence is in fit and weight and quality. I ride alot Daily and it is worth having soemthing that fits well Arai does that nothing nt my shoei or agv or simpson or suomy have ever come close.

veloce4c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2001, 10:52 AM   #9
NickdaBrick
Founding Member

Didn't Arai announce a while back that they were going to sue everyone who posted the company name on the Internet? What ever happened to that?

Just for the record books, Shoei helmets fit my head the best.
NickdaBrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2001, 11:20 AM   #10
Jack_R750
Founding Member

Default Re: Have you tried SHOEI RF800/900?

Quantum/f is no more noisy than RF800 - had them both, RF800 caused me a good deal of head ache on more-than-1-hour rides. Got Arai as a birthday present from Mom, wore it for a year, than one day I had to take the Shoei (Arai was drying after a washing), felt horrible - far from comparison, both the feeling on the head and the sound which was no quieter, not even mentioning ventilation - and in a hot country like mine, it is one of the priorities for a helmet choice. Also, Arai's fog dispersion system proved excellent. The price scares the pants out of an average buyer, especially of the best models of their lineup - I saved on colour and asked a single-coloured version, saved my mother a good deal of money, while getting one of the best helmets available. I don't know if it's overpriced, but I know that you only buy a helmet once, and if you use the bike for transportation like I do, having a good helmet is well worth the money.

BTW, lowering the jaw shield has a good side effect - it lessens the noise.. Another Arai bonus.

Jack_R750 is offline   Reply With Quote