Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > MORidian

Old 06-14-2001, 07:54 AM   #1
Chester
Founding Member

Default Re: No More Movie Stupidity

Steve McQueen is the best rider ever to be on a movie screen, and can never be topped. Anyone who doesnt agree is obviously a Nazi, just like in the Great Escape.
Chester is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 06-14-2001, 07:59 AM   #2
Poser
Founding Member

Default Experienced "Driver" ???

Power to LL for taking riding seriously. After he learns to ride then he will be a RIDER, not a Driver! The world needs more riders and fewer drivers.
Poser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2001, 08:13 AM   #3
streetlegal
Founding Member

Wait until the world gets a load of Antonio Sebato Jr's "Lean Angle."

"Lean Angle" is a new syndicated TV show starring Antonio Sebato Jr. -- the pretty boy soap star from "Melrose Place" and "General Hospital." He's also known as the Calvin Klein underwear model.

In "Lean Angle," Antonio is a Gran Prix motorcycle racer. Actually, I believe he is the brother of a GP racer who is killed racing. He then "has" to race to support his brother's family or something like that.

The show was scheduled to start filming in Spain (where else would you go to film GP bikes?) this month. The show may debut later this year.

In one interview I read, Antonio's explanation of the title "Lean Angle" involved the words "Honda 500," "gravity," and "sexy leathers." Other than that, I didn't understand it at all.

streetlegal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2001, 08:31 AM   #4
Abe_Froman
Founding Member

Default No disrespect to Steve McQueen......

But I though John and Ponch were pretty good too.
Abe_Froman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2001, 08:36 AM   #5
hackfu
Founding Member

Default Re: No disrespect to Steve McQueen......

Yea. Did you see the episode where they chased down this guy (I think it was the guy who played Murdock from the A-Team) off-road style? Taking those KZ1000's off-road must've been pretty hairy. I remember one scene where there was a little drop off that they had to go down... that was funny. Okay, I guess you needed to see the episode!
hackfu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2001, 09:17 AM   #6
granny
Founding Member

I too have noticed motorcycle riders placed in the role of "hoodlums" and "bad guys" in popular entertainment, especially in day time soap "operas". Most of the time the "bad guys" are on cruisers but sometimes they are on dirt bikes (apparently trying to run drugs). But the action scenes are generally so clueless that they come off as slapstick (like Keystone Cops). I think that most folks recognize this so it is probably harmless and perhaps in the long run good since it gets motorcycles in the minds of the public (could it be that people who watch soap "operas" also drive min-vans and SUV's?).

-Pain is weakness leaving the body-
granny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2001, 05:56 PM   #7
damediggler
Registered Member

What about Kobe Bryant's Adidas commercial. On the Ducati 900 or 750 supersport, I swore it was a v-twin but it sure does sound a lot like an inline four in the commercials. I guess the roar isn't as good as the four for mainstream America.
damediggler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2001, 02:15 AM   #8
borgNSR
Founding Member

Default Never say never

There has never been a good movie made about motorcycles (that wasn't a .) The act of making a movie is going to screw up any kind of realistic anything: dialog, location, action, riding, you name it. For real riders, it is the realism of riding or racing that is exciting. For movie goers it is the surrealism of depicted riding that is exciting. Its a Hollywood rule borrowed from journalism: Never let the facts get in the way of a good movie.
borgNSR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2001, 02:26 AM   #9
borgNSR
Founding Member

I hope this one comes out! It could be hilarious, but it probably will take itself too seriously. I hope they do it totally over the top, turn it into a Spaceghost thing.

Or they could do it like an x-files: exactly which smoking guy (let 'em all smoke in the show) stole Erv Kanemoto's reed block design...don't even try to explain a reed block. And WHERE IS ERV??? & Why is the government TRYING TO KILL THE 2 STROKES? Are they hiding the truth that they will ALWAYS be faster than 4's?

This could be good...
borgNSR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2001, 03:48 AM   #10
MNRon
Founding Member

Default Re: Little Faus and Big Halsey

OK, not a great movie, but probably closest to what racing was about at the time. Greatest line: "I was going faster than I ever have in my whole life, ..... then I fell off."
MNRon is offline   Reply With Quote