Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > MORidian

Old 03-20-2007, 08:06 AM   #21
pplassm
Founding Member

Default Re: Why can't we all just...sniff...get along?

Last month, I was looking for dirt on my DR-Z. I pulled over to consult a map, and the biggest, baddest biker-dude on a Hog I'd seen in a long time pulled over to ask if I needed help. How cool is that?

Would it have happened if I was on ksquid's Ninja?

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 03-20-2007, 08:10 AM   #22
steven_1
Founding Member

I used to ride with a group of friends we had Ducatis, BMW's, Guzzis, Yamahas,Hondas once in a while a Harley. Everyone just rode what they liked and we had a good time riding each others bikes because they where so different from each other.

Now I ride a 98 Triumph Sprint, KLR650, And I have a 77 Guzzi leMans project, and a CB350 I want to make into a cafe racer. You miss out on a lot of fun when you are so narrowly focused.
steven_1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2007, 08:12 AM   #23
donaldl
Registered Member

As far as waving goes, here in Florida there are so many bikes on the road. You just can't wave all the time. Or You may be in situations were you need both hands to ride. I find most everyone here is pretty friendly and would help a brother biker no matter what they are riding.
donaldl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2007, 08:22 AM   #24
boru4761
Registered Member

MOTOBROTHERS UNITE!

boru4761 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2007, 08:24 AM   #25
allbikesbiker
Registered Member

I've posted this before:

I take a short ride to the mountains on my V-Rod Nightrod. Most bikers wave back, if I wave FIRST.

Harley riders? some wave, some don't... (a V-Rod ain't no real Harley, ya know?)

I take the same road, the same driver, most times the same get up (clothing).

Very few Harley riders wave. They're way too cool to do that. It breaks their concentration on who's looking at them.

I do believe that riders who take 'brands' into account and use that as a prerequisite for "the wave" aren't bikers.
allbikesbiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2007, 08:25 AM   #26
seruzawa
The Toad

Default Ha!

Or the snowboarders vs skiers war. Now there's snobbery of the first order.
Old 03-20-2007, 08:27 AM   #27
boru4761
Registered Member

I have to concur with Priday. I think the readership here is a pretty tolerant bunch and most of the name calling you are seeing is in the name of sarcasm/trolling and not actually animosity.
boru4761 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2007, 08:27 AM   #28
allbikesbiker
Registered Member

edit...

the second ride is usually on a Duc 999. not your average sport bike, and sometimes admired by Harley riders.

in general it's still considered a "Rice Rocket" until I say it runs on Pasta.. it's Italian made!

The Harley rider seems confused after that...
allbikesbiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2007, 08:29 AM   #29
ajenkins
Registered Member

I'm in FL, too, and try to wave as much as possible whatever the other rider's "orientation." I've noticed a contingent of squids and Harley riders won't wave if your ride doesn't align with their preference. I just switched from a V-Max to an FJR: now I get more waves from the sportbike crowd and fewer from the cruisers, especially the Harleys (some of whom will actually turn their heads away from the wave to express disdain). For those who don't wave, riding is a form of identification: they are about belonging to a specific group rather than being part of the larger community of riders.
ajenkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2007, 08:36 AM   #30
seruzawa
The Toad

Actually my favorite faddists were the two guys I saw in Century City a few years back on a pair of Duck916s, matching designer Duck leathers and chicken strips so wide it was obvious that they used the Ducks for cruising.

Who is a worse poser than someone on a race replica who doesn't go to the track? At least the guys on cruisers are actually doing what they appear to be doing... cruising. Unlike so many squids who wobble up to Newcomb's Ranch or the Rock Store for their latte' and then wobble back. Double posers.