Motorcycle Forum

Motorcycle Forum (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/)
-   MORidian (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/moridian/)
-   -   Clever Custom Names (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/moridian/3459-clever-custom-names.html)

BrowningBAR 04-04-2006 08:31 AM

Re: Clever Custom Names

The chopper craze is getting really bad. But, when they switch to customized sports bikes(and future shows will at some point), it will be even worse.

And I don't even mean that as an offense to sport bike enthusiasts.

03zx12r 04-04-2006 09:16 AM

Well, you were right. This is a waist of my time.

SmokeU 04-04-2006 11:09 AM

They already *have* started customizing sportbikes. I recently got the current issue of Road Bike and they have a whole section of custom sport bike builders.

Buzglyd 04-04-2006 11:22 AM

I'm partial to Buzglyd

BrowningBAR 04-04-2006 11:26 AM

Oh, I know there are a ton of customizing shops for sportbikes.

I'm referring to the "reality" shows that will pop up in a few seasons to suppliment/replace the chopper shows and push it to the mainstream.

Tigercub 04-04-2006 11:51 AM

I'm thinking of a spin-off;

Re-Build-a-Bike

The show opens (as does each episode) with a bike barreling down a highway approaching a T-intersection and a car pulls out in front of him. Screen goes black save for sound of tire skidding, breaking glass and crunching metal.

Next seen is the "contestant" going over the wreckage in the shop. His mission is to rebuild the bike to its original condition in one month and the bike is his.

BikerJC 04-04-2006 02:22 PM

Hey, I played that game. Except I lent the bike to an idiot friend and he wrote it off for me.

My resulting bike's full christian name is the Suzuki SV700-R Café Racer. Also known as RIWNLATYA (the Roy-I-Will-Never-Lend-Anything-To-You-Again Special).

Dangerousdave_2 04-04-2006 06:12 PM

Of course none of this 'customizing' will have any practical value. it will be all looks and doodads. The stuff that a real sport rider wants are, for the most part, discernable only to the cognicenti. Ohlins don't look that different from any other suspension pieces, unless you know what the name means. God, I hope they don't start a trend for putting great big labels on stuff so you can't miss it, like happens with clothing a lot of times. I kinda like the whole thing being understated a little bit. (You don't get it unless you're in the club.) Maybe that makes me a snob, but so be it if the only other choice is having my favorite roads choked up with more horse's asses than there are already.

opie 04-04-2006 08:18 PM

I'm sick and tired of these mamby pamby milktoast wanna be tough guy builders. All of those tough guy copy... I mean, "custom" bikes are so 2005. I'm waiting for something that's truly cutting edge, that will take the motorcycle world by storm. Some builder whose bike says, "Hey! Don't mess up with me!!!" I want to see a chopper with a 7.5 oz gas tank. I mean, why haul around all of that excess weight? Gasoline is heavy, you know? And forget heated grips! I want amped and volted grips! the kind that sent a constant painful charge flowing from your hands to your grounded parts, letting you know you're truly, viscerally alive. How about losing those candyass tires, and runing straight on rims. Rubber is for weenies, and chicks dig the sparks. I'm looking for an eleven foot front end, a diesel engine from a Bobcat bulldozer, and a seat that's made of woven barbed wire, and is only 4 inches wide. Come to think of it, let's have a seat that catches your jeans on fire. Now THAT would be cool.... what? That idea is already taken? oh well. The rest of it is a totally winning combination. If we have Matt Hotch build it, it should sell for about $680,000, give or take. And a name? How about "Hotchulism". That should sufficiently freak out the bastards. I see a 4 hour bike show in here somewhere.

ksquid 04-04-2006 09:28 PM

LOL But I like khoppers as in kpaul, kspike, and ksquid..:)