Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > MORidian

Old 07-28-2005, 07:41 AM   #31
Gabe
Registered Member

Default No luck involved

Good or bad. It was always my fault, my fault, my fault.

That's my point: motorcyclists don't have accidents: they crash.

Just a guy in the ether...
Gabe is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 07-28-2005, 08:25 AM   #32
edward44
Founding Member

Default Re: No luck involved

accident:an unexpected happening causing loss or injury which is not due to any fault or misconduct on the part of the person injured

So you blunder I take it. Even worse.
edward44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2005, 08:27 AM   #33
pdad13
Founding Member

Default Re: The Art and Magic of Controlling a Motorcycle

Methinks John is so cautious because he doesn't know how to control his bike very well. Locking up the rear and then high-siding (on an on-ramp, no less) is an indication that he may not know exactly what he's doing.

In that case, I would have predicted that John would indeed be the one to crash.

Maybe he should go get some rider training. Or maybe a couple of riding books.

I've got a friend who could be headed for trouble. He's been riding for a couple of years, took the MSF initially, but still doesn't trust the bike much. As a result, his cornering is so bad it's scary. He's afraid to lean the bike too much so his entry speeds are snail-like. He turns in way too early and then has to adjust his line to avoid running wide. I've been trying to help him, but he's still afraid. If he doesn't get over this, he'll find himself in the woods or emedded in the grille of someone's SUV.
pdad13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2005, 08:57 AM   #34
longride
Super Duper Mod Man

There are no "accidents". There is always fault or misconduct. Give me an example where there are 2 anything colliding, one anything crashing, or anyone getting injured, and I can find fault, or negligence, with the manufacturer, operator, inspector, or supervisor every single time.
Old 07-28-2005, 08:58 AM   #35
longride
Super Duper Mod Man

Gotta agree. Riding slow doesn't mean safe. The gray hairs in their cars drive slow too, and are certainly the biggest hazards on the roads.
Old 07-28-2005, 09:39 AM   #36
bross
Registered Member

"A good rider, riding within his proper envelope, will have none of those moments. There will be no spikes in his heart rate. No sudden bursts of adrenaline. Nothing but a smooth, flowing movement across the road. "

Saw an interview on Valentino Rossi and that's what he pretty much said, he's always riding at about 85%. His coach said if he rode at 100%, he'd crash.
bross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2005, 09:45 AM   #37
edward44
Founding Member

My definition of accident came from the dictionary. It states that one side is guilty of causing injury to another who is blameless. A blunder is defined as follows: to make a mistake through stupidity, ignorance, or carelessness. Entering a turn with too much speed and crashing is a blunder. Having a drunk turn in front of a rider allowing no time to react with resulting injury is an accident. My lawyers seem to understand the distinction.
Old 07-28-2005, 09:50 AM   #38
kbuckey
Registered Member

Great article. Interesting comments. I've been hit by cars twice. Once there was not a darn thing I or Valentino Rossi could have done about it. The other one also was "the other guy's fault" he even got a ticket and had to pay for the damage to my bike - but in my heart of hearts I believe that I could have - should have - avoided it. I believe that one needs to come near that tipping point where one tests the bike and oneself. If you don't scare yourself some you're not there yet. BUT, the only place I want to do that is on the race track.

My dad, who flew about 200 combat missions as a fighter pilot in both WWII and the Korean War, told me that it is better to be lucky than good, but only the realy good are real lucky.
kbuckey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2005, 10:21 AM   #39
edward44
Founding Member

This is old hat. Remember The Inner Game of Tennis

a while back. Very popular back in the seventies when everyone was playing tennis: then it was discovered that tennis is not an easy game to play and jogging became the thing. Yes, shut up the nagging inner voice telling you (with no little justification ) you are a sod and you will perform wonders. Just the thing for the wanna-bes hereabouts.
Old 07-28-2005, 11:08 AM   #40
maladg
Registered Member

Ever ridden or driven in Boca or Sarasota?

Ditto the slow, grey thing. I've had the tragic misfortune (self inflicted) to work for employers HQ'd in both places.

Thank goodness I don't live in the land of the near dead zombie drivers.
maladg is offline   Reply With Quote