Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > MORidian

Old 07-27-2005, 08:46 PM   #21
boprocity
Founding Member

Default Re: The Art and Magic of Controlling a Motorcycle

A great article and a great lesson that is all too frequently learned the hard way. For me, it was trying to ride my old beemer like a cafe bike and low siding it into a drainage ditch. 2 surgeries, a totalled bike and two years later, I realized that the most enjoyable and safest riding comes from living within and cautiously pushing your limits. The joy of a perfect line or a fast switchback isn't in the speed, but the confidence and wisdom to do it safely.

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 07-27-2005, 11:54 PM   #22
edward44
Founding Member

Default Re: To you sir, I say: HA!

30+ serious crashes... and all your fault. Dumb luck,sir.
edward44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2005, 12:34 AM   #23
ofreen
Registered Member

Like I said, sh-t happens. But depending on luck is a bad idea. Sure, anyone can get struck by lightning, but it helps if you are not in the habit of standing on the top of hills during a thunderstorm.
ofreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2005, 02:33 AM   #24
maladg
Registered Member

About 16 squintillion years ago, the long lost CYCLE mag had an article about "Flow State"...that magic balance point where the internal dialogue shuts off thus lifting the wet woolen curtain between thought & action.

The article was based on a book on the subject - flow state, not motorcycles - and the author's name is Mihaly Csikszentmihalyi. The book is still available on Amazon.

Poke around & you'll find folks have trod down this path before and found some fine nuggets. The non-droolers in the crowd could google "flow state".

Persig address essentially the same issue in "Zen & TAOMM", though not as direct. Joseph Campbell did also in his 13 part interview by Michael Toms (this interview series was played to death on Pubilc Radio affilates in the early 90's), but specifically towards people who are seemingly accident prone.
maladg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2005, 03:13 AM   #25
veronaisland
Registered Member

I was just finishing my first season of returning to a bike when that story was printed. I saved it as part of my required pre-season riding (don't have much else to do during the Maine winter). Ever since, I've tried to make sure I'm taking the bike for a ride- not the other way around. Besides, it's kinda fun embarrassing the squids going up Cadillac Mountain in Bar Harbor.
veronaisland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2005, 04:01 AM   #26
Fenton
Founding Member

Bar Harbor: Great place.
Fenton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2005, 04:51 AM   #27
smoove
Founding Member

Interesting article. A few weekends ago, three friends and I went for a ride that was planned to last the majority of the day. In riding order, it was Shaun on the Superglide, me on the Deuce, Sandy on the Triumph Speedmaster (which I just sold to him a few months prior), and John on the Sportster. We were going through a slow-speed on-ramp from one road to another (not a freeway on-ramp), and, as I merged onto the road, I heard a slight screeching of tires and a funny crunching sound. I looked in my mirror just in time to see John and his Sportster laid down sliding across the on-ramp into the curb in a cloud of dust. He had locked his rear tire and high-sided when he let off the brake. He had some nasty road rash, but his helmet was toastÂ…Â…saved his life. No serious injuries. Anyway, after everyone got calmed down and John got check out by the EMTs, we all agreed that that if anyone from our group was gonna go down, it would have been me or Shaun. Shaun and I ride more aggressively; however, we are very careful and actually think about what weÂ’re doing when riding. John, on the other hand (also very careful), wonÂ’t take a corner ANY faster than the recommended speed and wonÂ’t even come close to considering dropping the hammer with us on the most desolate and straight road to be found. You get the idea.

What a weird day. Who wouldda thought HE would have been the one to wreck?

smoove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2005, 05:44 AM   #28
Fenton
Founding Member

The point I was making is about the perceived ability of riding with in the limits.

You have the proper training and experience. The 20 year old thinks they do. Same attitute different reality.

I know I don't drive a car or ride a bike like I used to, faster when I want to be, not as fast all the time.
Fenton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2005, 05:48 AM   #29
tomk2
Founding Member

Default Re: To you sir, I say: HA!

30 crashes? Sorry Gabe, looks like Jesus gave all your luck to me!

I'm 48, been riding since 7th grade & have NEVER dropped a bike on the street (dirt bikes yes, plenty). I've had a few scares but I've never been in any sort of accident, never low sided or high sided, never tipped one over in the garage. Nada.

I've also never even scratched the fender of a car & I've had jobs where I drove 40K miles a year.
tomk2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2005, 05:54 AM   #30
tomk2
Founding Member

Ha! That'll never happen to me... a Ducati set up to factory spec doesn't have enough rear brake to lock up the arse end!
tomk2 is offline   Reply With Quote