Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > MORidian

Old 07-27-2005, 01:27 PM   #11
sportbikebandit
Founding Member

Default Re: The Art and Magic of Controlling a Motorcycle

I agree. That's why I wear good protective gear but that's no guarantee. Just like an airline pilot told me once he has known good pilots that died cause they were in impossible situations....
sportbikebandit is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 07-27-2005, 01:50 PM   #12
edward44
Founding Member

Right. Skill: damn right. Art: in the eye of the beholder. Magic? Ain't no such thing. Dumb luck maybe.
edward44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2005, 02:13 PM   #13
Gabe
Registered Member

Default To you sir, I say: HA!

I just rode with a motorcycle messenger this morning. He rides at ridiculously fast speeds everywhere, all the time. I mean like 80 on city streets. He weaves in and out of traffic and lane splits 40 mph faster than traffic with inches-and I really mean a few inches to spare. Once he wedged his bike in between two cars lane splitting.

So of course, he's just a dumb squid who's going to get killed, right? Did I mention he's been doing this for 5-8 hours a day for 17 years?

If you really feel your life is in somebody else's hands, you need to quit riding a motorcycle. I know where you can buy a nice, safe, quiet SUV.

I wouldn't trust a car driver any further than I could throw them. Who controls whetehr I crash or not? Me and me alone.

I've had 30+ serious crashes. I only had one involving another vehicle, and I was going too fast.

They'll never get me!

Just a guy in the ether...
Gabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2005, 02:54 PM   #14
Fenton
Founding Member

Same way the 20 year old feels on his new ZX-10R. Untouchable.

You just have the experience to back it up. Most don't.
Fenton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2005, 03:12 PM   #15
Fenton
Founding Member

I remember reading that. I hope one day I can be an old smooth guy on a crusty BMW and visit all the places I ride today.
Fenton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2005, 03:19 PM   #16
gameholic2
Founding Member

This article is so spot on it's frightening.
gameholic2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2005, 03:55 PM   #17
NO1ZX6R
Registered Member

Great piece of writing. I've tried to approach my riding with a similar attitude and feel that it has paid off. A friend just got a bike 2 weeks ago after not riding for about 5 years. The first thing he said to me after following me down a twisty bit the other day was "damn, your smooth!"

This piece also reminds me of another great article called "The Pace". Articles like this make me renew my subscription to MO. Thanks
NO1ZX6R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2005, 05:08 PM   #18
pdad13
Founding Member

Funny, I was thinking about "The Pace" and Nick Ienatch, too. He reprises the theme in his book "Sport Riding Techniques." Everyone should read it when they get a chance.

pdad13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2005, 06:24 PM   #19
Abe_Froman
Founding Member

untouchable? No. What other people do is out of my control. I could get rear ended, I could have someone pull out in front of me (had this happen a couple times, practiced crash avoidance) and get taken out by something beyond my control. Of course I've done little street riding lately but anyway.

All I'm saying is that avoiding a crash so far is because I ride within my personal limits and mitigate the risk. However it might appear to some to be reckless because I don't neccessarily obey the law.

I was, however, that 21-year old on the GSXR600 at one time. I did some stupid things, had some close calls but never destroyed my bike.
Abe_Froman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2005, 07:15 PM   #20
Grum
Registered Member

Default 3rd Post, actually, but I guess you realise that by now.

Commiserations and lamentations on your failed claim to First Postdom. No membership to MOFPC for you.