Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > MORidian

Old 07-07-2005, 12:02 PM   #51
85GWSE
Registered Member

Default Re: Save Your Hearing and Your Wallet

If you're wearing a helmet and plugged in, you should be able to hear the stereo just fine through earplugs that let enough sound through to be safe...turn it up a little. The system actually sounds better with more audio and less wind rush. I have no problem hearing through mine, and they're custom fit (very narrow ear canals). If you're not in a suit and brain bucket, then it doesn't much matter if you protect the hearing or not...
85GWSE is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 07-07-2005, 01:29 PM   #52
tsrzad
Registered Member

Lil' John? That you?

YAAAAAAAAAYEAHHHH
Old 07-07-2005, 01:30 PM   #53
DBw9
Founding Member

Being a new MOron, I just couldn't believe that you can get hearing damage riding with a full face helmet and stock exhaust. I found some research in UK where sound level was recorded and measured at the ear canal with the helmet on. No significant difference between types of helmets (3/4 vs. full) or whether bike was faired or naked.

35 mph is 90 db

70 mph is 110 db

Unless you're riding real slow all the time or riding for a very short time, at these noise levels you'd be required to have hearing protection on the job per OSHA requirements.

I'm convinced - guess I was being thick between the ears!
DBw9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2005, 01:55 PM   #54
supecoop
Founding Member

I started out with ear problems and use permanent, custom plugs. They're expensive (around $85 from your local audiologist) but they fit perfectly, are easy to get in and out, and the noise reduction is great. You can get custom plugs for way less at the yearly Cycle World motorcycle show. There's always a long line but hey, they come in all kinds of colors. They can even be made to fit with earphones for music or communications systems.
supecoop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2005, 02:34 PM   #55
sportbikebandit
Founding Member

Good data, OK you convinced me, I am going to buy some plugs. Thanks.
sportbikebandit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2005, 03:52 PM   #56
den111
Founding Member

Cigarette filters make great earplugs. I get mine free off the median strip when I'm waiting for a left turn traffic light.
den111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2005, 04:14 PM   #57
BigRon
Registered Member

The exhaust isn't as much a problem for the rider as the people behind the bike. The real bad actor is the wind noise. Motorcycle Consumer News did an article on this a while back. Riding at 60-65 mph for any significant length of time, and wind noise will permenantly damage your ears. Permenantly!

Like the originator of this post, I was into audio and could hear an 18,000 hertz tone. Now, all is gone after 10,000. And, I have a ringing in the ears (tinnitis). It's all due to noise I was exposed to in my youth. I don't want to lose any more hearing, so I wear ear plugs when riding.

Ron
BigRon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2005, 04:19 PM   #58
oleland
Registered Member

I always wear ear plugs now that after many years of loud pipes and wind noise I have severe hearing loss.

On another note ,am I the only one getting an extremley slow connection to MO lately.
Old 07-08-2005, 03:38 AM   #59
kbuckey
Registered Member

Not wearing ear-plugs is bad if you have good hearing and worse if you already have bad hearing. I lost a lot of mine, courtesy of Uncle Sam (if you think that Harley with straigt pipes is loud you should try sticking your head out of a loader's hatch on an M-60 tank while the tank commander fires the .50 caliber about 3 feet from your ear!) and I can't afford to lose more. Furthermore, if I take a long ride without ear-plugs (yeah, I've lost them on trips before, now I take multiple sets with me) my ears ring so much for so long that it can even affect my sleep. And yes I wear a full face helmet all the time.

Another good source for cheap ear plugs is the shooting industry. Midway and Natchez often have great deals (I buy boxes of a thousand sets - lasts a long time!)
kbuckey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2005, 07:07 AM   #60
Steve781
Founding Member

Default Custom Plugs

I second the custom plug motion. I had my first pair fitted about 5 years ago at the annual motorcycle show in Dallas (cycleworld show?) They lasted 4 years of daily use before they started to degrade. About $25 per pair. They clean up nicely with soap and water.

This past year there were two seperate booths set up doing custom ear plugs. Bang for the buck, comfort, effectiveness, ease of use, any metric you want and these come out the best option for protecting your hearing.
Steve781 is offline   Reply With Quote