Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > MORidian

Old 11-27-2004, 11:13 AM   #31
Holy_Kaw
Registered Member

Default Re: Thanksgiving, Heroes, MO, You.

It doesn't matter, make it happen. IMO
Holy_Kaw is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 11-27-2004, 12:45 PM   #32
SeanAlexander
Founding Member

Stock 1983 + IMS or similliar 5 Gal "desert" tank. Because it's cheaper and slightly more reliable than dirt. -Sean
Old 11-27-2004, 01:58 PM   #33
IceWorm
Registered Member

The tank on the KLR is just under 6 gallons I believe. I had an "02" that I rode to Daytona a couple of years ago. On one stretch between Baton Rouge and Daytona I got over 180 miles before reserve. The air cooled Suzuki is better for serious off-roading where a rock through the radiator could put you on the side of a trail. The Kawasaki has a big gas range advantage. The 20 liter Givi bags are top closing and the lid over laps the sides by about half an inch. They are quite dry, even when over stuffed and only cost about $60 each. Strap on a dry bag duffle to the stock cast aluminum luggage rack, add a tank bag and you can do some serious distances. Very good KLRs can be had used for $2500. They are both good machines, it just seems that the Kawasaki comes set up for budget adventure touring. KLRs retail for around $5K but they can be had new in certain areas of the country for under $4200.
IceWorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2004, 02:00 PM   #34
Kevan
Registered Member

Hi Sean

I read with real appreciation your article on your father. Obviously, you hit a chord with a lot of readers. So it served two purposes; it introduced us to your father (who sounds like a remarkable character) and it lead many others to comment on those who had a profound impact on their lives.

In their comments there is a consistent thread of how important family members are. It seems that it is not Presidents and Prime Ministers, baseball or hockey players who are the heroes; but the family members who took an interest in us and who guided us along our paths.

For those of us who are now parents your article reminds us of how we too can be heroes to our children.

Thanks for the reminder.

Kevan
Kevan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2004, 02:58 PM   #35
clively
Founding Member

Nothing more I can possibly say about the great read and appreciation expressed here. It is a great reminder as well when the world's problems are knocking on the door to be there for our kids.
clively is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2004, 05:09 PM   #36
obandoj
Founding Member

Sean, your post generated some of the best response that I have yet seen in this website. Great stuff! I also feel that my dad is up there, somewhere, looking down at me and cheering me on whenever I'm riding and having a blast.

Thank you very much
obandoj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2004, 07:41 AM   #37
greatoldbikes
Founding Member

Default Paths taken, choices made

I wish I could chime in and say "sounds like my dad, too!" But that is certainly not the case. When it became time for my dad- a three-sport athlete who threw two no hitters in college and was heavily scouted by the pros- to make his choices about his future, he followed his own father's advice and took the "safe route" and became a dentist. A damn good one, too, judging by the life my family had growing up. He never owned a hot car (preferred big Caddilacs), and he just about had a nervous breakdown when I started riding motorcycles.

20 years later, he's retired, and I have still never given him a ride, and he's still never asked to go on one. He still won't even mention to his friends that I ride bikes. It is still an issue between us. My committment to riding is total. He continues to warn me I'll die on my bike. That's about where it stands.

Just recently, in a long ride (in the minivan) to a football game, my dad got quiet and admitted what he had never admitted before: he regretted not choosing to try professional baseball all those years ago. I picture a young man, under the hard gaze of his stern father, comitting to the safe path, and forgoing his true calling. So it was the same with he and I, except I took the less secure path, and while it has been a struggle, I look back at all the trips I took on my bikes, the people I met, the photos and articles, and it fills me with a quiet joy that no money could buy.

Dad and I get along fine despite the tenor of this message, and if you're in the same boat, I wish you the best in getting your pops to take that one ride with you that might open his eyes to the joy of motorcycling. I'm almost done fixing up a 1976 Goldwing, and I think it may be the bike that get's him to strap on a helmet, if only once.

Happy holidays to the MO crew and all the readers.

Bill R.

GreatOldbikes
Old 11-28-2004, 08:46 AM   #38
SeanAlexander
Founding Member

Default Re: Paths taken, choices made

Bill,

Thank you for that. I think if MO ever really holds a MOron Rally, we'll have to call it a gathering of kindred spirits. -Sean
Old 11-28-2004, 03:05 PM   #39
greatoldbikes
Founding Member

Default Re: Paths taken, choices made

Sean,

That was a very inspriational and introspective article about your dad, both personally and judging from the enormous and hearfelt responses. Keep up the great work. Let me know when the rally is (if ever!) and I'll bring the CBX....

Bill Roberson
Old 11-29-2004, 11:36 AM   #40
sportbike_pilot
Founding Member

Dude you rock the world.

sportbike_pilot is offline   Reply With Quote