Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > MORidian

Old 09-01-2004, 10:19 AM   #1
ErricZ
Registered Member

Default Re: Keith Code's Tips for a Safer Street Ride

Rock on, I got a first post!

Not much else can be said, not too many of us are going to leave our iron alloy steeds at home this weekend, we just have to be even more alert for idiots -- both in cars and on bikes.

[soapbox]If you can't avoid drinking, you should at least avoid taking the motorcycle. [/soapbox]

Be safe out there and enjoy the holiday all!
ErricZ is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 09-01-2004, 10:20 AM   #2
gforces
Founding Member

Code states "moving back and forth WITHIN A LANE", not "from lane to lane".

You wouldn't be cutting anyone off in that instance. Perhaps you should read everything twice first, Sean
gforces is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2004, 10:23 AM   #3
SeanAlexander
Founding Member

I wasn't correcting him. Note that I quoted "within a lane" I was merely adding to his suggestions and clarifying that movements should be made in a smooth and predictable manner. -Sean
Old 09-01-2004, 10:34 AM   #4
BMW4VWW
Founding Member

In over 40 years of motorcylce riding the best advice I ever got was from an old guy I meant while shopping for a bike back in 66. "Ride like your invisable, and everyone else want's to kill you". It's worked pretty well for me so far. VWW
BMW4VWW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2004, 11:23 AM   #5
rhust
Founding Member

I follow the "ride like you're invisible" school of thought as well. And when trying to make yourself visible by employing techniques described above - don't be a squid about it. We've got enough things to deal with being motorcyclists without everyone thinking we're all drunken idiots out there. Let's try to keep it to the current rate of 50% .
rhust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2004, 11:53 AM   #7
Holy_Kaw
Registered Member

Yep, I use what I consider aggressively-defensive riding with an attempt to have a high situational awareness (and an "escape route") to enforce that. I often make it a point to be "Seen" by those that didn't see me (or acted like they didn't) on the assumption that them having a bad taste in their mouth over an incident will cause them to be more aware. In 1975 (at 15) a car pulling out from a side street intersection while I was in heavy traffic pushed my ankle into the gearbox of my CB400F. The "old man" tore me a new one over that and it was multiple lectures and then awhile before I was allowed to ride again. I decided then that I would never let a car hit me again and so far so good (knock on wood).
Holy_Kaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2004, 11:53 AM   #8
mscuddy
MODERATOR X

Default Re: Survival tips...

The majority of accidents-some 75 percent in fact-approach motorcyclists from within 45 degrees on each side of the forward line of travel. Increasing surveillance of traffic within that front quadrant helps you predict what traffic hazards are present in that area, that is potentially the most dangerous.

I learned that from an ex-bike cop, as well as lane position, following distance and how to handle a .38.

Also ride offensive, not defensive. Everyone out there in a cage is trying to kill you, whether they know it or not.

Old 09-01-2004, 12:40 PM   #10
seruzawa
The Toad

Also, ride a streetbike or a DP on the street. One with a good upright seating position, footpegs under the seat (like riding a horse), good mirrors and wide enough handlebars for leverage. Save the torture rack for the track and the canyons. And save the splayedlegs cruiser for the highway.

Just my .02...... be sure not to go over .08. Or better yet, don't have even one beer.