Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > MORidian

Old 09-02-2004, 06:55 AM   #22
mile_eater
Founding Member

Default Agressive Riding

it's safer to pass than be passed. A cop may want to choke you if you say that to him, but that doesn't make it untrue.

Cars drive along in packs. Find the spaces between packs and ride in them. If the gap closes, pass the cars ahead of you, and find the next gap.

Old 09-02-2004, 07:32 AM   #23
BMW4VWW
Founding Member

Default Re: Keith Code's Tips for a Safer Street Ride

Outside of decreasing radius hairpin turns, and immovable objects,I also find more speed to be the motorcyclist's friend in almot every other traffic situation. VWW
BMW4VWW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2004, 07:40 AM   #24
nosajwols
Founding Member

Genius or not there is some poorly thought out advise there. Riding off the rear right fender might be good to use the car as a blocker but now you have to be extra careful that you do not ride in the cars blind spot!

As for using cars for blockers. I use my motorcycle riding techniques as much as I can while driving a car. About a month ago driving the north shore of superior I always kept a car in front of me to run blocker for wildlife. Sure enough the guy in front of me hit a deer in the middle of the day. Now I also saw the dear at the side of the road (becuase I was scanning for trouble, just like on a bike) and had already started to slow down before it was on the road, but none the less.... In the end, a car hits a deer and has a broken marker light. Bike hits a deer and it will have a broken rider. In the back woods let the cars take the hits, it might mean riding a little slower but it means not hitting wildlife!
nosajwols is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2004, 07:48 AM   #25
wwalkersd
Founding Member

I agree, but like most things, some is good but too much isn't. If your speed is much higher than the rest of the traffic, I think it _increases_ your odds of getting hit. Cagers, when they do see bikes, have a hard time judging the bike's speed, and tend to unconsciously assume you're traveling at the speed limit. When you get there faster, you go BOOM.
wwalkersd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2004, 08:31 AM   #28
mscuddy
MODERATOR X

I can think of nothing worse, than hitting a 300 lb, horned cloven hoofed animal, on a bike.

At least Buicks can't kick you, after you hit 'em.

Re the right-fender deal: If you think about it, if you're following the automobile's left track, and some squid on the right moves over, you loose.

Personally, I always use the line that has an "escape" route. Right, left, middle, it don't matter, just as long as I can see some clean air.

Old 09-02-2004, 08:53 AM   #29
seruzawa
The Toad

Try hitting a moose or an elk.