Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > MORidian

Old 07-21-2004, 06:29 AM   #31
Kipio
Registered Member

Default Re: Ride To Work Today!

So, I get out to the garage this morning, get out the 1985 Suzuki GS700E. My wife took the other bike, which she doesn't normally do since she works 3 minutes away from home, but hey, it's Ride to Work Day. I don't always do a complete inspeciton, but I figure hey, it's a special day, better show the general public how it's done and inspect it.

Wow, that brake light looks mighty bright. And neither brake switch is working! Ah, okay, adjust the rear brake switch. Now it works. But wait, the front still doesn't work. I don't know how these things work. So I open it up and it clearly has been tarnishing for the past 19 years. I try cleaning it, realigning it, everything. The darn thing won't work.

Wait, now the taillight isn't working at all. Oh no, a fuse! I don't know where the fuses are, and the shop manual doesn't tell me. (Must be in the owner's manual that didn't come with the bike.) I find the fuses, sure enough, it's blown. Oh crap, the previous owner doesn't have any spares. Wait, there's one. Ah, the taillight is working again.

Sweat is pouring down my face as I keep trying the front brake light switch, but to no avail. Eventually I give up. "But damnit, I'm riding to work on Ride to Work Day," I think, as the car looks at me with eyebrows raised. Okay, hell, I'll just remember to use my rear brake a lot.

On the way, I come to a stoplight which I hit every single day and the camera always triggers. Not today. One cycle. Two cycles. Three cycles. Finally a car comes up behind me and puts me out of my misery.

I get to work safely, a half hour late, sweaty and annoyed. But hey, I rode my bike to work today!
Kipio is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 07-21-2004, 06:31 AM   #32
pushrod
Founding Member

Well, if your Sebring is the ragtop, I guess you might get partial credit for the day.

The lady is right about Destin being "fancy". They have to bus in all the domestic help, 'cause there is no housing on the island. I'm over in Panama City, where the tooth-per-head (TPH) count is in the double digits, but fairly low.

I have become -
Comfortably Numb.
pushrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2004, 06:32 AM   #33
mscuddy
MODERATOR X

Default Re: Boom boom

Sounds like my every day commute, here in Smog City.

I was going to mount something like a Sharps .54 & 1/4, 45.70 or some other cannon on the mighty Kawi, but have decided on the 23mm cannon that came standard on a MIG15, for real stopping power. If that could bring down a B29, a BMW (or Volvo) should be easy pickins.

Some guy in Tunisia has one on Ebay, I'm bidding on it now.

Look out, cagers!

Old 07-21-2004, 06:38 AM   #34
pushrod
Founding Member

Default Re: I'd Love to But...

Steve,

Box that jacket up and send it to Firstgear. Tell them what happened. Maybe they'll help you out.

Also, make sure you get with the cager's insurance company (hopefully you have them) and get them to pay for new safety gear. Jacket, hat, boots, gloves.

Take digital pictures of all your gear for future use.

Good Luck!

I have become -
Comfortably Numb.
pushrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2004, 06:40 AM   #35
seruzawa
The Toad

Default Re: Boom boom

Ever since the feds mandated steel shot there have been piles of old 12 gauge shotguns in the pawnshops for cheap. By a dozen and rig them up. Use 1/2 oz. AP sabot slugs.

That should do the trick.
Old 07-21-2004, 06:49 AM   #36
bigjames
Premium Member

There were about twice the number of bikes I normally see in the AM between Macon and Atlanta, Georgia today. Nice cool 65 on top of that. Rode my VERY high milage sidecar rig in (instead of the '03 HD or '00 BMW), since I ride the others every day any way. Then again, all my my riding co-workers (except for the novice on the 250cc machine) ride to work every day any way, and did today, and we are all mighty proud we didn't have to make any excuses for not riding, like some of the lamoes above! Looking forward to being in the way this evening! Wonderful thing about sidecars, folks all look and point and it becomes a rolling road block. THEY ACTUALLY SEE ME! Kinda nice actually.....

BigJames
bigjames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2004, 06:51 AM   #37
bigjames
Premium Member

Default Oh, if Anna shows up.....

she'll have to deal with my wife....and I can't reach the damn bars on a Duc, but thanks anyway....being under 6 feet tall with wide shoulders really make riding a Duc tricky....riding Anna, oh, never mind, I shouldn't even think about that sort of thing....
bigjames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2004, 06:55 AM   #38
captainwhoopass
Founding Member

Default Re: what the f**k !!!

I had a guy do the same thing to me on the freeway last week, only we were moving at about 30mph in heavy traffic.

He's now minus one passenger side mirror.
Old 07-21-2004, 06:56 AM   #39
captainwhoopass
Founding Member

Default Re: OK fine, Ride your bike tomorrow!

Wisdom over youthful foolishness...
Old 07-21-2004, 06:58 AM   #40
Holy_Kaw
Registered Member

Default Re: Ride To Work Tomorrow!

Amen
Holy_Kaw is offline   Reply With Quote