Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > MORidian

Old 06-03-2004, 10:15 AM   #11
Tigercub
Founding Member

Default Re: MAN CRASHES TWO BIKES IN ONE ACCIDENT!

"...were riding side by side at about 65 mph in the southbound car-pool lane of the San Diego (I-405) Freeway when the collision took place just north of Jamboree Road, police said."

That's why they were..."struck from behind"

The typical speed of vehicles through that section of freeway is more like 85. If they had been riding at the normal speed of traffic in that area, Gasga might have had enough time to focus on the pair of lights in front of him and form an intelligent opinion about what he was approaching - but then maybe not.

But, I'm still puzzled.

How did Gasga make it to age 33?

Why do cops ride side-by-side on motorcycles?
Tigercub is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 06-03-2004, 10:34 AM   #12
thejimmy
Registered Member

Side by side?

C'Mon, man...

It's a "Ponch and Jon" thing...
thejimmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2004, 10:42 AM   #13
SuperBill
Founding Member

IÂ’m guessin that Gasga was launched off of ****ensÂ’s bike by the load that built up in his pants. 15 seconds seems about the right amount of time for that to happen.

Like earlier posters, IÂ’m surprised and disappointed that Yannizzi couldnÂ’t fight his "protect & serve" instincts long enough to let a Peterbilt take care of the Gasga problem. WouldnÂ’t a jerk like Gasga look good in a jar next to MR. ALLCAPS?

SuperBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2004, 11:55 AM   #14
captainwhoopass
Founding Member

Three comments on this story:

1) Never ride side by side, except in a parade

- it's dangerous. Motor Officers should know better than to do this.

2) It was mentioned earlier, but traffic in the carpool lane on that stretch moves at at least 85mph. I've also seen at least 20 different motorcycle officers on that stretch of freeway and not one of them was going slower than 80mph if the road was clear in front of them, and several were well exceeding 90mph. I have a hard time believing these two were going exactly the speed limit.

3) If he could have stayed on the cop's bike it would make for the best Burger Barn story in all history.
Old 06-03-2004, 12:15 PM   #15
BMW4VWW
Founding Member

Can you imagine the ridicule officer ****ens would have recieved if his bike was successfully stolen while he was riding it? VWW
BMW4VWW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2004, 12:36 PM   #16
johnnyb
Founding Member

yeah, like the police spokesperson was gonna tell the reporter they were doin' 90 at the time of the accident. Please. yes, it would've been the height of cool to ARRIVE at Burger Barn on the pirated vessel and then tell the story about how you boarded at sea and took it over...
johnnyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2004, 01:48 PM   #17
F451
Founding Member

JohnnyB...you've got attitude. I like that.
F451 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2004, 01:50 PM   #18
Nplateau
Founding Member

Default I have never seen a bike cop...

let alone two, to ever ride in the carpool lane at only 65 mph. Already that sounds like some b.s. Usually they're cruising at 80+ .
Nplateau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2004, 03:18 PM   #19
scottw
Founding Member

Can't you guys see that this is an elaborate cover up? They were filming CHiPs, the reunion - 20 years later. Ponch and Jon were riding their bikes on a trailer on a closed section of the freeway, and Harlan finally had enough playing second fiddle, always changin' the oil on the stars' bikes and never getting the hot chicks. He skipped a dose of his Lithium, doubled up on a dose of Jack, and took matters into his own hands. I can't believe you guys haven't figured this out yet.
scottw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2004, 01:41 AM   #20
IceWorm
Registered Member

Ok, I am more than a little surprised that I had to make it almost to the bottom of this thread before someone comments on the side by side thing. I see city cops in my town do this all the time. Of course it is not just cops, now is it? We all see Harley riders riding side by side probably more often that we see them riding staggered. This is not a Harley bashing thread, and should not be a cop bashing thread for that matter, but still sometimes I wonder what kind of safety training motorcycle officers receive. A couple of years ago in the middle of summer down here in south Louisiana when it is like 100 degrees every afternoon I t-boned a car with my VFR and totaled it (the bike of course). My full face helmet, full leathers, gloves and boots saved my but big time. A motorcycle cop shows up to work the accident in a little half helmet and short sleeve shirt, and those tight thin pants they wear. If I had been in the cops riding gear when that car pulled out in front of me I would've been fooked. Has anyone ever seen an on duty motorcycle cop in a full face helmet? Allow me one more. Next time you see a bunch of cop bikes parked together walk around and look at the back tires. You will be amazed. The first time I did this it blew me away, so much so that I have made it a point to have a look whenever I see a group motorcycle cop bikes parked. Never fails to be at least one with a rear tire miles past it useful wear limit.
IceWorm is offline   Reply With Quote