Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > MORidian

Old 04-13-2004, 04:58 AM   #151
pdad13
Founding Member

Default Re: Name calling is not listening

Amen.
pdad13 is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 04-13-2004, 05:00 AM   #152
MrBear44
Registered Member

Default Re: How to Buy a Motorcycle Online

I have also found several of these on eBay; Here are some things to look for:

1. The price is too good to be true

2. The information is vague about where the bike is

3. The seller is not in the same location as the bike, and is usually registered in a another country

4. The seller has a history, but it is usually a bunch of small, unrelated stuff (developing a history on cheap items in preparation for the scam, or stealing someoneÂ’s history?; not sure on this one)

5. The seller will not accept escrow payments, etc. and wants a lot up front money.

6. The seller insists on wire transfer (something eBay cautions against – the ebay guidelines on this topic are very good, by the way)

7. The seller frequently offers free shipping anywhere (on a bike? Get real).

In general, real bikes on eBay can be had for good deals at times, but not great deals. A lot of people are looking at them and will bid them up. I have bought two bikes on eBay, and it worked out well, but again, the deals were merely good, not great.

MrBear44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2004, 08:12 AM   #154
EdgyDrifter
Founding Member

Default Re: Resale

The same complaint can be made against the cruiser set, too. Most of the "customizing" done to these bikes is in the form of bolt-on chromed doo-dads and extra fringe. In the end, you get a bunch of overdone cookie-cutter cruisers waddling down the road looking like Siegfried & Roy's christmas tree. Not exactly value-added in my book.
EdgyDrifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2004, 08:16 AM   #155
EdgyDrifter
Founding Member

Default Re: Smell

Ahhh... new bike smell. That is a good smell indeed.
EdgyDrifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2004, 01:14 PM   #157
den111
Founding Member

I've seen, and suspected, numerous "cheap" bikes on CycleTrader.com. such as $3,900 nearly new low mileage Hayabusa's a few times.

den111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2004, 10:30 AM   #158
ezlee79
Founding Member

I was recently perusing recycler.com and came across a low milage v-rod for 7,500. Immediately I thought to myself this bike is stolen or non-existent. ...But I was intrigued so I began email communiction. The seller sent me several beautiful pictures and the VIN which seems to be valid, but wouldn't immediately answer what city he was in. Guess what else. It turns out:

The seller claims to be in a foriegn country(England)

Shipping from said country is included in the price(please)

I am to send a Western Union money order.

This is for sure a scam, but I'm intrigued so I'm going to continue to try and flush him out. I think next will request a odd picture (like him on the bike with today's copy of the gaurdian)

Lee

ezlee79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2009, 09:17 AM   #159
Byron Hight
Registered Member

Default Be Aware !

Just want to inform you of 2 TOTAL RIPOFFS. The first is 5starsshopping, and the 2nd is cetbuy.com. I got burned by attempting to buy a motorcycle from 5starsshopping. After being led down the rosy path they just disappeared. Now this cetbuy.com has just come up with an almost identical add. Be very aware.
Byron Hight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2009, 09:42 AM   #160
acecycleins
Founding Member

Guess I was lucky. Saw my K bike in Ebay. Rolling down the road with my computer in wireless mode I pinched her for $3k with less than 1 minute to spare. Flew into Tampa 3 days later. Seller picked me up and took me to his home in St Pete at 8pm and by 10pm I was riding it back to ATL.