Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > MORidian

Old 04-12-2004, 03:29 AM   #111
IceWorm
Registered Member

Default Re: Resale

Polishing does not weaken the frame. I pass on bikes with polished frames for a couple of reasons. Most importantly I hate the way they look. Secondly I have the impression (right or wrong) that the odds are greater of the owner being a squid. Nothing against squids mind you, but there is no law saying I have to give them my money. We are talking sport bikes here, so when I am buying used I look for signs that the motorcycle has been cared for like the owner planned on keeping it for life. I want it unmolested, the way it came from the factory. I am not interested in somebody else's idea as to how it should look. I have seen people put 5 to 8 grand of aftermarket crap in a sport bike and in the end they sell if for less than a nice perfectly stock motorcycle with that fresh from the factory look. Having said all that I do understand the urge to personalize a stamped out sportbike that looks just like all the other stamped out sport bikes going down the road. The problem is every one personalizes their bike the same way, fender eliminator, pipe, flush mount signals, carbon fiber, polish frame, so you end up looking like everyone else anyway.
IceWorm is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 04-12-2004, 03:35 AM   #112
IceWorm
Registered Member

Default Posished Frame

I posed this in the middle of previous thread in response to someone questioning why I pass on bikes with a polished frame when I am buying used. I decided to repost here to possibly get more responses on how others feel.

Polishing does not weaken the frame. I pass on bikes with polished frames for a couple of reasons. Most importantly I hate the way they look. Secondly I have the impression (right or wrong) that the odds are greater of the owner being a squid. Nothing against squids mind you, but there is no law saying I have to give them my money. We are talking sport bikes here, so when I am buying used I look for signs that the motorcycle has been cared for like the owner planned on keeping it for life. I want it unmolested, the way it came from the factory. I am not interested in somebody else's idea as to how it should look. I have seen people put 5 to 8 grand of aftermarket crap in a sport bike and in the end they sell if for less than a nice perfectly stock motorcycle with that fresh from the factory look. Having said all that I do understand the urge to personalize a stamped out sportbike that looks just like all the other stamped out sport bikes going down the road. The problem is every one personalizes their bike the same way, fender eliminator, pipe, flush mount signals, carbon fiber, polish frame, so you end up looking like everyone else anyway.
IceWorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2004, 03:45 AM   #113
Buzglyd
Founding Member

Default Re: Posished Frame

I thought the same thing when I saw the polished frame bikes going for so much cheaper than stockers.

However, if you wanted to pick up a sportbike to thrash on really cheap and then throw it away, low-balling a squid who's desparate for the latest and greatest might not be a bad idea.
Buzglyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2004, 03:54 AM   #114
seruzawa
The Toad

Default Re: Don't waste your breath kpaul, use this as your final thought

At least when the republicans do all that crap someone makes a buck.

The democrats do it just for fun.

PJ O'Rourke.
Old 04-12-2004, 04:13 AM   #115
pdad13
Founding Member

Default Re: Damn squid

That's more like it.

(Thank you, thank you, thank you...)
pdad13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2004, 04:36 AM   #116
pdad13
Founding Member

Default Re: Don't waste your breath kpaul, use this as your final thought

Oh yeah, this isn't a piece of propoganda. Does anyone remember the internet hoax claiming to rank the Presidents by I.Q. (Bush, naturally was the lowest and way below average). That wasn't a classic piece of propaganda (and completely fabricated) either. Could you show me John Kerry's (aka JFK II) resume and better yet, his mentor Ted "Leaving the Scene" Kennedy? Betcha leaving a girl for dead is in bold italics.

And if you haven't figured it out, this is exactly what I mean. Now tell me how your beloved Dems are going to fix all of the supposed wrongs. You guys are long on attacks and short on solutions.

By the way Heinz Corporation, from which Mr. Kerry and his wife derive some $20 million per year, outsources about 70% of their labor.

Have another sip of Kool-Aide.

Old 04-12-2004, 04:47 AM   #117
Buzglyd
Founding Member

Default Don't encourage him

The best thing to do is join the "ignore KPaul" gang.

Most of us have ignored him for about 6 months now (I recently fell off the wagon) and it seems to work.

Apparently his mommy has forgotten to drug his Froot Loops because he's back to his old insanity again.
Old 04-12-2004, 04:55 AM   #118
pdad13
Founding Member

Default Re: Start Reading first Bush asleep at the wheel again

You mean Ted Turner's CNN? At least it was his until he was forced to resign.) Yeah, that's probably going to be fair.

Oh, and by the way, our enimies' (meaning both yours and mine) strategy is based on turning any conflict "into another Vietnam." So you, and CNN, running around claiming, falsely, that Iraq is another Vietnam is playing right into their hands. Like most liberals I know, you obviously have very little grasp of history. And obviously can't distinguish the difference between the two situations.

I, for one, did not go to SDSU. I live in New York, went to school in New York State and was in Manhattan on 9/11. I had friends who were in those buildings. So don't give me your grandstanding garbage. It's despicable that some have decided to use this for political gain (including some victims' families).

If Bush came out before 9/11 and said that we have invade Afghanistan to eliminate terrorists who are plotting against us, your ilk would use that very same memo to argue why we don't have enough information to act pre-emptively.

There is no doubt we failed to recognize a threat. But that failure goes back to many people on both sides of the fence.

What kind of Kool-Aide today? Kerry-Berry?
Old 04-12-2004, 05:01 AM   #119
pdad13
Founding Member

Default Re: Don't encourage him

Okay, I'm in. How much are the membership dues?

I'll pay anything.
Old 04-12-2004, 05:22 AM   #120
Buzglyd
Founding Member

Default GPTB dues

You are now officially sworn in as a member of the Grayhaired Ponytailed Brotherhood.

What you don't need to get in:

1) Gray hair

2) Ponytail

3) Harley-Davidson motorcycle.

4) Money

You only have to ignore KPaul and his various aliases and you are welcome in the club. Oh, and you can't bash Harley guys because some of the members actually own one or two!