Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > MORidian

Old 02-11-2004, 05:23 AM   #51
anrajala
Founding Member

Default Re: Motorcycle.Com Bike of the Year

Why would anyone limit their own freedom of choice by self-inflicted principles "I'd seriously consider buying only X, Y and Z brands"? Geez.

Even worse is this type "I vote only party X because my family has always voted that way". So you let your politics to be decided by some long-dead cretin whose most intelligent achievement was to change a tyre on tractor.

- cruiz-euro
anrajala is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 02-11-2004, 05:32 AM   #52
ValkBandit
Registered Member

Default Question about sportbike ergos ...

there are several ways to raise the handlebar. but raising handlebars raises a couple of questions:

1) are there also kits to lower the pegs?

2) once the bars are raised, does it tend to ease the crimp that high footpegs put in your knees?

i ask because i've been thinking about "humanizing" a hyabusa. at 6' 1", sportbike ergos do not work for me. could be because i'm old school. sportbikes in my day were BMW R90S's and Kawasaki KZs. you could actually ride these bikes all day without need for physical therapy.
ValkBandit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2004, 05:58 AM   #53
Flickmeister
Registered Member

The shootout for bike of the year is typically a British thing: FAST BIKES, SUPERBIKE, PERFORMANCE BIKES, BIKE, & T.W.O. all do it. The '03 Gixxer Thou was tested a minimum of 3 times to a max of 5 times by each U.K. mag. They do the intro test, a 1000 comparo, a best street bike test, a track test, and a test comparing the street version versus the BSB version. Hell, T.W.O. even compared it to a Honda RVR400 while testing it on the Isle of Man course using their staff and two Isle of Man race winners. Then they test custom versions, like the Rizla GSXR1000 (two different models--two different test, of course). These guys really know how to milk it and have a good time.

Personally, my favorite is T.W.O. They have Niall Mackenzie (an ex GP500 racer of considerable fame) as their main performance bike tester. He is still used by the factory BSB teams to set up their bikes for racing and coaching new riders. He is known as one of the best suspension set-up artists in the world. He adds a credibility that no other magazine in the world can boast of. FAST BIKES (who has Dan Harris--another legitimate fast guy) is my next favorite. Some of the U.K. mags feel compelled to have a neat bike and a naked babe centerfold. That doesn't offend me at all. I just wish they would photograph them before they were beaten with an "ugly stick." Their ability to pick winning bikes certainly outweighs their skill at picking winnings babes.
Flickmeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2004, 06:08 AM   #54
schizuki
Founding Member

I dunno - I've got my Bandit 600 set up with small Givi bags, Yoshi exhaust and Holeshot advancer & jet kit. Plenty fast commuter/sport-tourer for middle-aged-me, the bags are convenient, and the 750-size and weight make it stable. I could do without the buzziness, though. The next step is lead shot in the handlebars.

Bill Clinton and Chuck Schumer are praising the Supreme Court for overturning an anti-gay-marriage law that they both signed.
schizuki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2004, 06:13 AM   #55
schizuki
Founding Member

There's two MCN's. The original poster is referring to the UK version, as he states.

Bill Clinton and Chuck Schumer are praising the Supreme Court for overturning an anti-gay-marriage law that they both signed.
Old 02-11-2004, 06:20 AM   #56
SeanAlexander
Founding Member

So how do the OTHER new bikes for 2003 fare in these SPORTBIKE shootouts? You know the Victory Vegas, Honda Rune, KTM 950 Adventure, etc...? This award was for "Bike of the Year" not for "Sportbike of the Year"
Old 02-11-2004, 06:20 AM   #57
schizuki
Founding Member

Triumph's big mistake was making the TT600 a four instead of a triple. I would have bought it as a triple. I would have been happy.

Then they could have made a baby Speed Triple out of it instead of the Speed 4. Then _you_ would have been happy.

Old 02-11-2004, 06:23 AM   #58
wrecks
Founding Member

I picked up a fast bikes mag last month... They had a pictorial with a modified MV Augusta and a naked "babe". She was a butterface. Everything good but her face. I put up the side of the poster that only showed her heinous face from the side. Troll.
wrecks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2004, 06:56 AM   #59
mrrick
Founding Member

Default Re: Question about sportbike ergos ...

Some of the "Rearset kits" have the adjustability to also be lowereda few notches. I would talk to a couple suppliers to see how much drop you can get.

Speigler has adjustable pegs for your bike "A bit pricey though" that may do this. They also have a top triple clamp/tubular bar conversion kit for it. There is a nice photo of a Hyabusa with them on it on their site. The link to the photo is near the description once you select the make and model. http://www.spieglerusa.com/

The bars won't help with the legs though. Just the back and wrists.
mrrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2004, 10:37 AM   #60
ValkBandit
Registered Member

Default Re: Question about sportbike ergos ...

thanks, bro. i checked it out. the adjustment range appears to be for track only. no way it is anywhere near "sport touring."
ValkBandit is offline   Reply With Quote