Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > MORidian

Old 10-29-2002, 05:10 AM   #1
electraglider_1997
Registered Member

Default Re: R.I.P. BUSTER

I'm numero uno.
electraglider_1997 is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 10-29-2002, 10:57 AM   #2
ZR-7
Founding Member

Of course you were to busy telling us how many .001 seconds bike A was over bike B... I'll never remember those fractions of a second. But, I might have remembered an article on Buster...

Philip
ZR-7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2002, 12:51 PM   #3
nokneedragin
Founding Member

My condolences to the Roberts family. He helped raise some serious racers. Peace from two wheels.
nokneedragin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2002, 03:53 PM   #4
Josh_1
Founding Member

this is one news piece where the smarmy, dry humor should've been shelved. There's a time and a place for "hip and edgy" and an obit doesnt qualify.
Josh_1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2002, 12:40 AM   #5
Yeah_right
Founding Member

>this is one news piece where the smarmy, dry humor should've been shelved. There's a time and a place for "hip and edgy" and an obit doesnt qualify.<

That place would be my family funerals! Haven't been to one yet, that wasn't funny, touching, revealing, entertaining, uplifting and comforting. There's nothing like the eulogies delivered by beloved members of the family at our funerals. Of course, we've been lucky in the fact that the dearly departed all lived to a ripe old age and weren't cheated out of any of life's opportunities, by being taken early. The progenitor of King Kenny and the grandfather of two very talented riders, Jr and Kurtis, lived 'till 82 and I doubt he was cheated out of anything either. One question I would have loved to ask Buster, is what makes parents of racers tick? I mean, why did we have to lobby for years to get mom and dad to quit calling them "murdercycles" and finally cave in and buy us a couple of Honda CT70's? Anyway, thanks again for the bikes, dad. We're all thirty years down the road from that first ride, on the snow covered dirt in Gorman, on that chilly December day. Believe it or not, those murdercycles haven't wiped out any of us yet. And yes, your funeral was funny, dad. Your brothers really told some great stories about you. Rest in peace, Buster.
Yeah_right is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2002, 07:12 AM   #6
ValkBandit
Registered Member

Default "Shuffle off his coil"??!!!

i have to agree with the above post. your slapstick treatment of an obit is in poor taste.

family and personal acquaintances have a right to make light of a death. when MO does it, it just comes out wrong.
ValkBandit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2002, 10:13 AM   #7
Ken_Packard
Founding Member

Default I agree

A little more tact would have been called for.
Ken_Packard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2002, 11:45 AM   #8
rsheidler
Founding Member

Default Re: I disagree

I found the "obit" to be in perfectly good taste, without the phony sentimentality or false expressions of grief more common to the genre.

I would be honored, when the time comes for me to "shuffle of my mortal coil" to have a similar eulegy.
rsheidler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2002, 12:54 PM   #9
Ken_Packard
Founding Member

Default That's nothing new

That's nothing new, Shiedler. Usually when I post something, I invariably see a contrary opinion from you. You be Jekyll and I'll stay Hyde...
Ken_Packard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2002, 02:00 PM   #10
rsheidler
Founding Member

Default To sleep! perchance to dream

To sleep! perchance to dream;—ay, there’s the rub;

For in that sleep of death what dreams may come,

When we have shuffled off this mortal coil,

Must give us pause.

Shakespeare.—Hamlet, Act III. Scene 1.

Hey -- when our John plagiarizes, he plagiarizes from the best! How many of those yahoos over at Motorcyclist magazine quote Shakespeare?

Seriously, though, until recently, I worked for a company that operates funeral homes and cemeteries. John's narrative would fit right into the mainstream of contemporary eulogies.

I do not know if John had, in fact, intended to do an interview with Buster, or whether that is simply a literary device, but the theme of things left undone and unsaid is one of the most nearly universal reactions among the survivors. I feel that John captured this sentiment very well.
rsheidler is offline   Reply With Quote