Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > MO vs. World

Old 01-02-2002, 07:49 AM   #1
ZR-7
Founding Member

Default Re: MO goes Subscription

Thank you! I thought my $12 had gone for nothing more than beer, etc.!

Philip

ZR-7
ZR-7 is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 01-02-2002, 08:08 AM   #2
blip
Founding Member

Wow, subscriptions are going well, thanks to everyone for being so cool! I'm starting to have faith in humanity again

Although Authorize.Net has been going up and down all day. As the largest credit card processor online, you'd think they'd have it sorted out by now. Of course, I'm sure they're sitting there saying "yeah, MO FINALLY went subscription, less F with them a little."

Thanks to everyone that tried to subscribe, got timed out and said they'd come back later. It's funny, but when people actually pay for something, they seem to appreciate it more (and be more polite).

blip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2002, 08:08 AM   #3
Colorado_F4
Registered Member

As far as I'm concerned, MO is at least as good as any of the paper mags out there, and a buck a month sounds reasonable to me.

Can you share with us any of your planned improvements for the site in the months to come?

One idea: have an easy to read reference chart for specs on different bikes, like some of the print mags do. So you can look up 0-60, 1/4 mile, top speed, MPG, price, and whatever else for all the bikes you've reviewed.

And how about doing like MC News does and including price and time estimates for typical maintenance tasks on the bikes?

Thanks for the cool site.

Colorado_F4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2002, 08:20 AM   #4
blip
Founding Member

We tried for years in the past through the "MO Database" to do spec charts (although with cursory specs like weight, seat height, etc.), and it

was quite popular. Then, I learned SQL and found real databases, so we're going to dump all that flat-file data into a real DB and add the items you mentioned. The things I like to see are MPG, MSRP, displacement, and 1/4 time, so those will weigh in heavily.

Integrating subscriptions into our content management system (which we did from scratch since

we can't ever swallow spending big bucks on a software packages) took much longer than I thought, and when it was done, new features like forums and the auction system didn't integrate well, so I'm going to work on those next, as they're disabled now.

What we really need is a forum where people can leave ideas and vote/rank the ones that are there, and we can just go down the ranks of popularity and implement features.

The idea is that community services like forums, clubs and (users') picture archives will be free, and original content (features, shootouts) aren't. That way, we can still increase our hits AND be a "subscription" site.

The next big improvement is to hire an editor, though! More content...
blip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2002, 08:21 AM   #5
minime
Founding Member

Colorado_F4,

Thanks for the love. And in response to your query, we'll try to get more detailed perormance data for our readers, just as you've requested. And as for other improvements, we're going to hire a well-known editor in the very near future. Still, I think the biggest improvement will be more content. It will be diverse, too. We'll be able to do better (and more) comparisons and even bring some of our readers into the process.

Remember, this is now YOUR MO, too.

Again, thanks to EVERYBODY for your support. This is a new year, a new look, and a new (and better) MO.
minime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2002, 08:42 AM   #6
nbyers
Registered Member

I think 12 bucks is quite reasonable. Hope this means you guys get a raise....MO is an excellent site.
nbyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2002, 09:28 AM   #7
R1150GS
Founding Member

As you can tell by my user name, the new comparo is of great interest. Since you didn't rank the GS first, see ya Just kidding! I enjoy the site and was a charitable contributor when last asked, so I'll do it again. I would appreciate more Dirt coverage though.

Take it greasy

R1150GS
R1150GS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2002, 10:13 AM   #8
DataDan
Founding Member

Default Keep the advertisements discreet!

While reading the Arai story below, your new-and-improved site popped up a spinning Buell Firebolt, complete with audio, that didn't merely annoy me, it followed me as I scrolled down. If advertising interferes with the content I pay for, you won't be getting another penny from me.
DataDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2002, 10:15 AM   #9
desertbilly
Founding Member

I was wondering when things would start to change, and here it is. I like the format and the new features. More content is always a good thing, as is the increased sense of interacton and community.

I'll resubscribe to support the effort, but I forgot when we paid up last year. Do you let us know when our subscription expires?

And Hell yes you should be trying to make a profit. This is America, for crying out loud. Good luck and keep up the good work.
desertbilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2002, 10:27 AM   #10
deweybch
Founding Member

To MO-

First of all, GREAT site! I visit this site daily (OK, a few times daily!). I will most definitely pay the $$$. My only question is what will be the difference between the information that a 'subscribed' person will have over an 'unsubscribed' person - or will you have to subscribe to get any information at all? Just wondering. I'll definitely look forward to those bike stats you will be posting (summary page). Thanks again and keep up the great work!
deweybch is offline   Reply With Quote