Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > MO vs. World

Old 01-06-2002, 06:08 AM   #61
christianl
Founding Member

Default Re: MO goes Subscription

i wonder how much they paid all those guys who say they are glad to pay a subscription fee?you go poopypants!!!im with ya brutha
christianl is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 01-06-2002, 06:14 AM   #62
christianl
Founding Member

if your faith in humanity is based on trivial things like a person paying twelve bucks for something thats worth maybe two,i feel sorry for you.ill pay you fifty for your paid subscription list because i have alot of swamp land and bridges id like to sell these chumps.by the way,are you related to p.t. barnum?
christianl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2002, 02:07 PM   #63
rickd
Founding Member

Last I head you weren't going to ever review another Triumph. I like Triumphs, and I want to read about them and how they stack up against other bikes. If you still aren't going to review Triumphs, I'll rely on my print subscriptions to keep me informed without having to deal with the damned spinning Buell.

rickd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2002, 06:33 PM   #64
NeedANewBike
Founding Member

Aye, my vote too. $1/mo. is well worth it - hell, I kill my lunch hours reading shootouts from '97/'98 just because I'd rather read about motorcycles than the news.

Seriously, this is a good idea; and it's well worth the sub price.
NeedANewBike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2002, 06:37 PM   #65
NeedANewBike
Founding Member

Default Re: Keep the advertisements discreet!

Ads==Understandable.

As far as 'picking our poison'... well, my $.02:

I hate pop-under ads. I'd rather they came up so I can either choose then to view, or kill them. Pop-unders come across (to me, anyway) as sneaky - yeah, I know they're trying to make the "last impression", but... grr.

The little Buell ad actually didn't suck. It wasn't huge, wasn't annoying, etc.

But: If you plan on the ads on the right side, perhaps change the relative table width to allow for the ad to be displayed without obscuring content. Anything that blocks what I'm trying to read/look at is automatically bumped to the top of my $kill_stupid_***** queue.

Thanks for great content, and phenomenal dedication. It shows in your writing, gentlemen.
Old 01-06-2002, 06:46 PM   #66
NeedANewBike
Founding Member

Problem is, if everyone does like you and 'waits and sees', there of course will be no content for you to see. The added revenue stream may bring exactly what you're looking for. Too many people today are like you - wanting something for nothing. You pay for your magazine subscriptions, correct? Well, I'm going to bet that you don't get video in your magazine, nor the responses on the forums from the guys who tested the bikes. If you ask a question, they will more than likely answer you.

Just my opinions. I anted up - guess you won't be playing the game.
Old 01-06-2002, 07:16 PM   #67
dcnblues
Founding Member

OK ok, so I chipped in 30 bucks. That should keep you guys set for beer for awhile.

Seriously though, I stopped checking MO cos things were getting a little outdated... was wondering when new content would show up. And I see that it's starting to happen, this is good...

And PLEASE don't forget us poor neglected UJM riders... I've got a bike that was built in 1979 and has changed hands at least four times... it'd be cool to run articles on some of the blasts from the past that got us to the current state of motorcycling. (Besides, when I tell people what it is that I ride, they say "a what??")

One last request: please don't neglect to goof off. The Breakin' the Law section is a lot of fun, so it shouldn't go by the wayside even if we do have to spring for the beer.

- Ride Safe, you guys!
dcnblues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2002, 11:28 PM   #68
MrDeadeye
Founding Member

"You pay for your magazine subscriptions, correct?"

Here is the big difference between subscribing to MO vs. Cycle World....... CW has editorials every month by Edwards, Egan, & Cameron. That makes it worth the price even if I don't give a crap about a lot of their other content.

I really hope I'm wrong, but if website hits drop to the basement because of the pay scheme, this is what is going to happen............. (1) Ad $ will dry up almost completely. I don't think it can be proven that people who are willing to pay for MO are more likely to buy products advertised on line. I'm not paying MO and I buy lots of stuff online. Therefore, less readers = less advertisers. (2) With a large chunk of readership sliced off, will OEMs continue to give them as many bikes to play with?

I guess I'm more comfortable with you thinking I'm an a**hole than with me thinking I'm a sucker.
MrDeadeye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2002, 05:37 AM   #69
phil-trx850
Founding Member

realistically, begging for money is only a short term solution. long term MO needs to form a relationship with a paper based magazine to introduce some long term advertising $$ into the business model.
why has 99% of the bike industry rejected advertising on your site?

phil-trx850 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2002, 01:53 PM   #70
blip
Founding Member

As much as we tried, we can't educate an entire industry as large as the motorcycle one, which involves about 5% of the population.

If you take a minute and read:

http://www.motorcycle.com/why_subscribe.motml

this is explained in more depth.

Gross advertising is dominated by a few companies, and with the companies that spend significant dollars, we've gather a large percentage of them there. So, we've been quite successful in converging _available_ Internet ad dollars @MO, but unable to get budgets set on par with other mediums. It's just not something a magazine can force, or as we've learned the hard way, even sway a large company in either direction to do. They make up their own budgets on their own, some of the OEMs have their budgets set in foreign countries, making things even harder.
blip is offline   Reply With Quote