Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > MO vs. World

Old 01-04-2002, 06:30 AM   #51
HyperBusa
Founding Member

Default Re: MO goes Subscription

I agree 110% Give me the EXACT same amount of content as a monthly print magazine that I can subscribe to for the same price, and I'll think about it. This includes: a bunch of product reviews, 3-4 columns, a few bike reviews, trip reports, a comparo, and all the other stuff sprinkled in between. One bike review/comparo a month and some crappy bike news doesn't quite make me reach for my wallet.
HyperBusa is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 01-04-2002, 08:53 AM   #52
TatdNPrcd
Founding Member

Let me see if I get this straight. You hate the XB9R ad but you refuse to pay. Also, you refuse to pay because the forum discussion isn't to you liking. Sounds to me like you want everything given to you on your terms and those that are doing all the work should just buck up and pay for it all themselves.

What do these folks owe you? Nothing! The message you posted adds nothing to the topic but inane drivel.

I did enjoy the opportunity to say that I am posting as a paying customer who really just wanted to say, "You're stupid! My bike rules and your's sucks!"

TatdNPrcd

"Cages are for Hampsters!"

www.ridetowork.org
TatdNPrcd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2002, 12:37 PM   #53
das
Founding Member

Default Re: Harley advertising

blip,

I don't think that you're sellouts, and I don't think that you pick bikes based on ad revenues (you always give reasons, and usually good ones, as to why you picked one bike over another).

However, it's a bit harsh to claim that people are ignorant because they don't know that Harley has never advertised on your site. Many of the replies to this article have been about the Buell ad, and last I checked Harley owned Buell. And for a long, LONG time, the Bartel's (a Harley dealer) ad was front and center on many pages, with the Harley logo displayed promiently. Yeah, a Harley dealer isn't the same as the manufacturer, but it isn't completely separate, either.

I don't work in advertising, but I know enough to realize that where the actual advertising dollars come from is often not the name on the ad. For all I know, Harley-Davidson provides advertising dollars to their dealers.

I haven't gone looking for it, but I haven't ever come across a list of your advertisers and how much they've paid you. Until you post that info (and I'm not saying that you should), it's a bit tough for the average user to tell who's paying you.

Also, I don't get your implied connection between people coming to your site for free and calling you sellouts. I'm not familiar with the Harley flamewar in question, but until recently, the site was free, and you were offering an opinion that you claimed was objective. Whether people believe that your opinion was truly objective (vs. influenced by advertising $) seems unrelated to whether or not they paid to read your opinion.

If anything, it's posts like this one, where you seem so very annoyed that you aren't being paid enough for your hard work, that make people think your focus is on the money, which leads to speculation that you'd allow advertising dollars to sway your opinion.

Again, I don't think that you're sellouts. I just think you're being way too harsh here. You're providing a service, a service that you think people should pay for. The customer is NOT always right, but ripping into a user for ripping into you is not the kind of attitude that makes me want to pay for your service.
das is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2002, 11:19 PM   #54
wheat
Founding Member

Default Re: How can MO be trusted?

Sheesh, who really give's a rat's south end what bike wins the shootouts? If you choose your next bike based on that, you aren't thinking for yourself enough.

It's the process of putting the bikes through the scrutiny of a shootout that is useful to us readers. That is where the information I find useful is.

So long as they touch on the things that matter to me as much as possible, it's a good thing no matter what. Of course there will always be things they can't touch on, such as ergos for someone my particular size. But I can figure that out myself at a local dealer.
wheat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2002, 09:24 AM   #55
poopypants
Founding Member

No, it's just MO is deleting any negative or rude comments, like mine.
poopypants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2002, 09:26 AM   #56
poopypants
Founding Member

Go to motorcycledaily.com for FREE news!!!!!!!!
poopypants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2002, 12:39 PM   #57
elizilla
Founding Member

I'm willing to pay for content, but I'm glad you're leaving the interactive parts free. It would be frustrating to pay for them, and then find that there's no one to play with because the other people haven't been willing to pay.

So are there any plans to fix the bugs and instabilities? This site crashes my browser every third or fourth time I visit. I don't have this problem with any other site, so I don't think it's my browser. It's something about your site.
elizilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2002, 07:36 PM   #58
MrDeadeye
Founding Member

I do like your site, it's one of about 15 or so I check everyday (not all bike related, but all free). If you can pull this off and are still around in a year with the increased content you promise, I'll fork over some $. So many .com's have asked for money and then went "tits up". Sorry, I only bet on a sure thing. Good Luck!
MrDeadeye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2002, 08:52 PM   #59
CarsSuck
Founding Member

Default Re: How can MO be trusted?

Well if I don't care who wins, why would I pay to find out? The information obtained while they do the shootout is available from a lot of different sources. Naturally, I'm going to want the info from someone who's opinion I can relate to. If someone picks a bike I think there's no way should have won, I'm going to question the value of any of their information for my purposes.

Anyway, it doesn't necessarilly have anything to do with a purchase. I read shootouts and reviews of bikes I know I would never purchase, just because I like to follow what's going on in the industry, who's building what, and how good it is. If it was just for the purpose of making a purchase decision, why would I need a subscription to anything? If for some strange reason I didn't think it was enough to test ride them and decide for myself, I could buy one magazine with the bikes I'm considering, and once I bought the bike I wouldn't need to read another magazine until/unless I decided I wanted a different bike. I read every issue of most motorcycle magazines just because it's a subject of interest.
CarsSuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2002, 05:05 AM   #60
christianl
Founding Member

and dont forget the classifieds full of guys trying to rip you off!!
christianl is offline   Reply With Quote