Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > MO vs. World

Old 01-02-2002, 03:45 PM   #21
minime
Founding Member

Default Re: MO goes Subscription

Natahn,

Yeah, we do have the nerve, and the firm belief that with the support of our readers, we'll be here for a long time. With the money raised by subcription, we look forward to generating more articles of increased quality, with more and better photos and video as well. We even plan on winning back readers who initially leave us -- readers like you.

We knew we'd lose readers initially, but this is a decision we still stand by. We believe it was the right decision for MO to make. And for the readers who stick around, we're sure they'll agree.
minime is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 01-02-2002, 03:55 PM   #22
minime
Founding Member

Nathan,

Please pardon my incorrect spelling of your name. As I was typing and posting, several F-16s and one larger aircraft flew overhead. Needless to say, a few people (including myself) were running back and forth, inside and out, trying to see what was going on.

There's just something about circling fighter jets that is distracting to me...
minime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2002, 04:18 PM   #23
CarsSuck
Founding Member

Default How can MO be trusted?

You say it will prevent you from being influenced by advertisers, but you have a history of making very suspicious choices in shootouts in favor of companies with the biggest ads on your site. Choices that no one else's shootouts backed you up on. Either you guys are for sale, or you just hate horsepower. How can anyone be sure you won't take their money and the advertisers' as well. Are there no longer going to be ads on MO? Even if I were more satisfied with your content, I like hard copy. I pay money for print publications because it's a hard product I can read anywhere, and they go in boxes to be dug out years from now like a time capsule. There is no way I'll subscribe to your website.
CarsSuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2002, 04:50 PM   #24
pushrod
Founding Member

Minime,

Aren't those flyovers great!?

Just think of the guys overseas that don't see the F-16s (and F/A 18s, F-14s and F-15s, AV-8s, B-1s and B-2s and, of course, the BUFFs (B-52s, and last but not least, the helo gunships and the AC-130s) fly away.

More importantly, remember the guys on the ground the airdales are supporting!

From a "plankowner" of the new $MO$. Keep up the good work!

I have become -
Comfortably Numb.
pushrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2002, 05:13 PM   #25
olglover
Founding Member

I don't mind the subscription fee and I don't even mind SOME advertising but guys, that floating Harley (OK Buell) add need to go.
Old 01-02-2002, 05:38 PM   #26
MC
Founding Member

Default Keeping readers

I wouldn't miss the $12, but :

1) I'm kinda lazy, and...

B) I think MO is only an average quality moto news/info source at best.

I'm interested in seeing what you can do with the extra funds. Do you plan on releasing free content from time to time so that new users can get a test-ride? And so that old farts like me can see how the $$ is beng used to improve the site?

Thanks,

- MC
MC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2002, 06:42 PM   #27
DoubleL
Founding Member

Dear MO

Just make sure those damn little subscription postcards don't start falling out of my computer.
DoubleL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2002, 08:01 PM   #28
HyperBusa
Founding Member

You want my money yet I have to endure that f***ing annoying Buell ad everytime I go to another page. I don't think so sparky. $12 a year will get a subscription to a monthly print mag without popup ads with audio, about 10 times the content, and something I can read while dropping a log. Sorry guys.
HyperBusa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2002, 08:05 PM   #29
HyperBusa
Founding Member

"With the money raised by subcription, we look forward to generating more articles of increased quality, with more and better photos and video as well."

You said this about a year ago when you started asking for money/donations and nothing has changed here. Content is sketchy at best, and usually useless. Like that FZ1 "hopup" article you guys did that consisted of slathering some carbon fibre onto it. Useless.
HyperBusa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2002, 08:14 PM   #30
gt750
Registered Member

Default Re: How can MO be trusted?

Oh come on! I think the big print mags are the ones that pick questionable winners. Maybe M.O. is picking the ones they believe in, and the rest are not? At times I see M.O. picking the same bikes as Cycle Canada, another smaller mag that does NOT seem to be so influenced by the Advertisers!

I too have six or even boxes of "Time Capsules" and am sick of looking at them, or storing them actually! It would be nice to be able to save the articles to a CD from M.O. . I could get a years worth of articles relevant to me on a single CD!!!
gt750 is offline   Reply With Quote