Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > MO vs. World

Old 11-28-2001, 01:59 AM   #51
jackbird
Founding Member

Default What's a riding buddy?

I see groups of motorcycles ride by sometimes. Is that like, the Hells Angels? Are they riding buddies? How many buddies make up a gang? Is it more fun to ride one person vehicles in groups? Do you use helmet radios to communicate? I may try that if I ever find someone who shares my interests. That seems unlikely though.

The last time I rode my loud Harley anywhere but the county airport where they clearly like it, was many years ago. I hate to actually admit to anything like good citizenship but I mostly ride a bike with an unmodified, too-quiet exhaust, my XX.

Living in Berkeley is different from most places. My neighbors are great. Sometimes the lady next door has piano recitals that fill the streets with strange cars and the air with these tinkly notes. The guy up the street plays great jazz fusion rock guitar. He's quite famous but the stuff on his records does not compare to the stuff he just sends into the hood. Even our cops seem like some kind of improved version of regular cops. Throw in great roads and all-year riding, and hey, living here for a cyclist is like living on the east end of Grand Cayman if you're a scuba diver.
jackbird is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 11-28-2001, 02:13 AM   #52
jackbird
Founding Member

Default I liked the joke, and predict so will my Harley pals

Personally, I try not to fall from any brand bike. If there is real data that breaks down motorcycle accidents by make of bike, I am not aware of it. If you know of any, sir, please append a reply if you see this. Thanks.
jackbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2001, 02:34 AM   #53
caderider
Registered Member

Default Re: Noise regulations pending

I figure it's like a new speed limit - they'll enforce it for about a week or 2, then they'll get tired and move on to another issue...

B
Old 11-28-2001, 02:47 AM   #54
hamatsu
Founding Member

Default Is that an exposed nerve I see ?

Well, well is that a threat I see ? Promise, maybe ? Do you know what an opinion is ? Just like you state your opinion..those are mine. You have no idea how big my balls are and people like you don't bother me. Lucky that you're not going to do anything to me ? Stop it...you're scaring me. If being ridiculed is so hard for you to take maybe you should look into some anger management classes before you post empty threats.
hamatsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2001, 04:51 AM   #55
borgNSR
Founding Member

Default Where is that gear growl?

I was bummed to hear that VFRs are giving up the gear driven cams for chains. Now that was a sound worth dragging around 40 extra kilos of Hondafat.

Of course, I've not heard the new VFR's...so maybe its still there.
borgNSR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2001, 06:31 AM   #56
borgNSR
Founding Member

Default So, where are these facts...?

dBs are logarithmic, but of course you know this, with your knowledge of physics that you bring so questionably to bear on the topic.

The difference between 86 and 90 dBs is significant, and that kind of "oh probably sitting around" kinda stuff doesn't make much sense. When the fact is that a difference of 4 dBs translates to a "real world" just a bit over DOUBLE the sound energy. As in, 1 Harley with pipes making 4 Db's more than stock is louder than 2 stock Harleys sitting next to each other. Translated to your stereo reference, you are pouring out 10 times the sound energy at 90 dBs than 80 dBs.

Over 96 to 100 dBs? Don't get me started. There's a lot more to decibels than this, reference level, frequency, etc. but I don't need to tell you this.

Its not just the physics, loud pipes suck. If you can back up your "underrepresented in wildlife/livestock accidents" comment up with facts, I'll sleep a hell of a lot easier knowing that the cow impact phobia I have has such an easy solution. Then when you complain that my unsilenced 2 stroke makes your ears bleed, well...I won't be able to hear you.

borgNSR
Old 11-28-2001, 07:40 AM   #57
borgNSR
Founding Member

Default Remarkably well put.

Maybe you are really on to something here. Maybe the HD v. sportbike, loud pipes v. rather not loud is just proving that we are the Afghans of the motor world: ready to band together to fight each other because we know deep down that despite the slight difference in appearance to the outside, the other is actually totally fundamentally wrong. Lest of course some non-moto idiot steps in, when we band together to hand his ass to him. Hopefully.

Jackbird, you've drawn your share of idiots for admitting that you dig setting off car alarms with your bike. I have to respectfully disagree with you, and state again that loud pipes suck. Even the AMA, who will defend your right to splat your already (bravely) self-admittedly battered brain on the street without the convenience of a helmet shaped bucket to hold the material in place for processing, will not defend your right to have loud pipes (though they will fight any ban on bikes, even based on loud pipe problems). Why do you think that is?

Because you whacking yourself out doesn't really affect me, unless of course you manage to botch the job and veg yourself instead, in which case I and the rest of my fellow taxpayers will support you and your therapy. However, if in the all too long process of doing yourself in, you manage to annoy the crap out of me again and again, not just with the pipes, but up to 2 minutes after with the whole car alarms thing happening long after you are gone, you are not going to find me bummed out when they come to take your toys away. And guess what? That pisses me off. Why?

Because I don't mind if your loud pipes have some, just some sort of redeeming value, such as at the track, where you might concievably trade bottom end for top. On the street, you lose torque, so you have to give it more gas, which gives you even more of a sonic thrill, all at my (occasional) expense. If you revel in your ability to piss people off and get away with it, do not be surprised if someone brings successfully to bear the full weight of the puritanical, usually underinformed, and notoriously imprecise tool of rightous retribution, and no will care about the details.

You make it really difficult for me to get on your side, to help you defend yourself against this type of thing, because I can't see the defendable reason. The AMA knows it is a lot easier to fight the law broadly, not arguing the details, but rather the basic concept, and even they have a position on loud pipes, a fight they don't want to fight. If, the end result is that councilman Chuck U. Farley's "Peace in Our Time" kneejerk reaction re-election bill steps on my moto toes, I'm going to go over to your house at 3 am with my already long illegal 2 stroke, remove the end cans and make your ears bleed, just to see if it really is as much fun as you say it is. er..was.

But we'll both still be in the moto ghetto.

Respectfully,

borgNSR
Old 11-28-2001, 10:21 PM   #58
Anubis
Founding Member

Default Re: So, where are these facts...?

Of course I know this as would anyone else who can take 10 minutes and look it up on the web, assuming they didn't get this in high school physics. But I also know the difference between dBs and dBAs. And I also know that loudness has nothing to do with intensity. And I know that if we used a Phons (or even better Sones), then we would be much closer to looking at the real issue.

In order for you to say that this source sounds twice as "loud" as that source, it has be 10 dBs louder than one it is compared to. So a difference of 4 dBs is not significant to the average human being. You might be able to tell that one is louder than the other, but only if they are right next to each other and only if they are at the same frequency.

Loud pipes don't suck, they blow. Carbs suck. But pipes that totally restrict and choke performance blow as well. But then again, they are using an artificial, useless standard to restrict rights and that is what I have to fight. They don't really care about sound polution, they just want us off the road.

And enjoy your two stroke while you can. Because you are in the process of becoming a victim to exactly that.
Anubis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2001, 12:37 AM   #59
borgNSR
Founding Member

Default Re: So, where are these facts...?

You are completely correct re: physics of sound elaboration on the human ear. I have used no more info than you could find in 10 minutes, or my high school education. But I believe you and I both agree though that depending where that 4 dB (or 6 dBSPL, 10 db SPL at 200 Hz on a 90 phon line, or whatever) change occurs, the real life impact can just possibly be more than insignificant. I accept your argument, that this particular 4 dB's of change is not cogent to your main point: they want us off the road. And that any talk of using dB's and phons as a controlling measurement is very likely to be less informed than the discussion we are enjoying.

Yes, some do want us "off the road." Of course, if they could manage it with a simple ban on bikes, they'd do it, but it'll never happen. Where there is no avenue for discourse on a subject, there will be used less precise means of achieving ones own goals. Since it is clear that one cannot reasonably discuss balancing the issues of loud pipes and peeing on one's auditory lawn at night with (most) anyone dedicated to the idea that loud pipes scare away trouble (but lack any clear evidence), is it any surprise that no one seems to be asking you to tone it down just a little? No, they're trying to TELL to cork it or else.

Good point on the 2 strokes. My argument for them is pretty weak. So they're dead, and in real life, they deserve to be. On the track, cc for cc, they rule. I still love 'em, but I just can't see putting my interests ahead of the environment's, to that extreme. That's the point. There might even be truth somewhere that loud pipes save lives, but is it worth it? If you had to pay a sonic price for my security on my 2 stroke, would you do it willingly again and again, or would you eventually get around to asking (telling?) me if I might find some other way of being safe?

Loud pipes blow...heh heh dude you rule.

borgNSR
Old 11-29-2001, 01:20 AM   #60
8inchover
Founding Member

Default Re: Noise regulations pending

Hey I live near Elm street in Manchester and between the 5000 cc 40 horse harleys and the kids with grapefruit shooters on their civics it's a wonder driving isn't outlawed alltogether.
8inchover is offline   Reply With Quote