Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > MO vs. World

Old 11-22-2001, 09:06 AM   #11
LJR869
Registered Member

Default Noise regulations

If you're one of the riders relying on the sound of your exhaust to "save your life" then you need a little more training. I ride not only recreationally but for a living (red lights, siren, etc) and have never heard first or second hand stories of a driver saying "I'm glad I heard your exhaust or I would have hit you." I consider motorcyclists with obnoxiously loud pipes just as much of a hazard as a driver with headphones on...neither of them will hear what they need to hear to be safe, such as horns, screeching tires, or sirens. So modify your bikes all you want but we're bringing this all on ourselves.
LJR869 is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 11-22-2001, 11:53 PM   #12
FalcoSC
Founding Member

Default Re: Noise regulations pending

I actually live about 3 miles from the racetrack, and it's only been there about 18 months. I can hear the race traffic at about the same level as truck and harley traffic on the highway 1/2 mile from me.
FalcoSC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2001, 07:41 AM   #13
schipwreck
Founding Member

Default Re: A Loud Motorcycle is a Safer Motorcycle

>There is a certain pleasure, very

>childish I'm sure,

Yes, very.

>Forgive me for enjoying that, but

>I do.

Forgive you for deriving pleasure from doing something that irritates an entire neighborhood? Ummmm, no.

Forgive me for saying that you are a selfish .

schipwreck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2001, 08:20 AM   #14
StregaVFR
Founding Member

Anyone who has ever heard a piped VFR knows the mechanical music of the 180degree V4. There should be a law against stock pipes on these bikes

What I find really annoying are the monster subbed car stereos, now there's something to be banned!

99 VFR800R (loud but not obnoxiously so)
StregaVFR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2001, 08:34 AM   #15
elizilla
Founding Member

Default Re: Be responsible to local and motorcyling community

Maybe if they start enforcing some of the existing noise laws, then some decent pipes might become available to those of us who want to enhance performance without making an enemy of everyone within a half mile of our ride route?

As it is, all the available pipes are designed mainly to make the bikes louder, and the "performance" label is slapped on as an afterthought, a wink and a nod to the law.

Some of us are more interested in performance and less interested in making everyone look at us. It would be nice if we could get some attention from the manufacturers, pull their focus away from those noisy jerks who are out there making enemies for us all.

elizilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2001, 08:57 AM   #16
hamatsu
Founding Member

Default Ignorance is bliss.

I bet you're the same type of guy that pisses in a wetsuit (to warm it up) while you're still standing on the deck so that everyone has to walk in it too. As opposed to jumping in the water and then doing it so that you only annoy the fish. Is that you ?
hamatsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2001, 10:57 AM   #17
NickdaBrick
Founding Member

It is up to every one of us motorcyclists to seriously ask ourselves the following question:

"Am I stupid?"

If you're stupid, you will do stupid things like annoy your neighbors, wreck your bike, hurt yourself or other people, and make everyone on two wheels look bad, causing lawmakers -- many of whom are stupid -- to feel obliged to pass laws to rein you in with speed limits, helmet laws, noise regulations, etcetera. Too many stupid bikers doing too many stupid things can and will result in losing in an all-out bike ban, one that extends from open-piped Harleys and Gixxers to whisper-quiet Gold Wings. This is still more or less a democracy, meaning that if enough people get angry, they can take our motorcycles away, principles of justice notwithstanding.

So for your own sake, and for all of our sakes, PLEASE don't be stupid. No open pipes on the street, and throttle back when riding through the suburbs, especially at night.

Of course, the people who sell exhaust systems could cooperate a little by not selling open pipes in the first place.

NickdaBrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2001, 11:11 AM   #18
RidinDawgDoc
Registered Member

Default Re: A Loud Motorcycle is a Safer Motorcycle

Loud Motorcycles are safer. That is in a longterm sense. After all the immature, overgrown adolescent riders with loud bikes cost the rest of us progressively more rights to ride, there will be fewer riders thus fewer accidents. Thanks guys for saving us all!
RidinDawgDoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2001, 11:18 AM   #19
deanmass
Founding Member

This stuff really burns me up, because in my 'hood', nearly every damn day I get to listen to the goddam weedwackers, leaf blowers, lawn mowers, chipper f-ing shredders, etc. which HAVE to be damn near or louder than a moto-cross bike. If they ban loud bikes I want them to ban all these stupid lawn things....AHHHHHH!

deanmass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2001, 12:26 PM   #20
alanheng
Founding Member

deanmass, I agree with you; but the opposition would quip that weedwackers, leaf blowers, and lawn mowers serve a productive and useful role.

They would counter that race pipes or drag pipes on motorcycles serve no useful role outside of a race track. Few people run weedwackers for their pleasure, but most riders run race pipes only for pleasure.

The main fault of many Americans today is that we're just plain inconsiderate. We commit actions without really thinking about how others would be affected. I would jest that if everyone thought and cared about the other guys before they did something, we would all be less angry in general.
alanheng is offline   Reply With Quote