Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > MO vs. World

Old 11-19-2001, 11:14 AM   #1
NickdaBrick
Founding Member

Default Re: Europe gets the goods while we get left left out again.

Tip of the hat to you gentlemen for being such good sports. Not only do you put your readers' interests first by alerting them to the story in a competing publication, but you even provide a link. Good show.

As to why the Euros get to ride it first, it's simple economics. Honda will sell tens of thousands of VFR's in Europe. Here, in the land of the cruiser, they will likekly prove slow sellers. The quicker Honda can get the word out to potential customers across the pond, the better the chances that people on their way to the Aprilia dealership will hesitate and maybe spend their hard-earned Euros on the Honda instead.
NickdaBrick is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 11-19-2001, 12:47 PM   #2
MrSpucial
Founding Member

This isn't the first time. When I go to the NYC motorcycle show, there are no major prototypes or new concepts showing, only the dealer capabilities. Nothing like the Milan or NEC shows. And I must admit, when I want to check motorcycling news, mcn.com is the first website that I type in. I know if kids were open to the market earlier, maybe the market would be equal to that of Europe. I wouldn't mind driving a RS125 around the streets of Queens....
MrSpucial is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2001, 12:53 PM   #3
starvingstudent
Founding Member

Of course, if MCN is the first site you check for motorcycle news, you end up with a LOT of pure bunk. Whatever happened the the V-6 Blackbird 1500? The Kawasaki sportster-clone? The Honda rebirth of the Hawk GT known as the VTX800? Oh wait...they were all _myths_ that MCN published as fact.
starvingstudent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2001, 01:07 PM   #4
RWUB
Founding Member

But as far as road tests of existing machinery, they seem to be very efficient in getting the stories out promptly.

And there's no denying of their Brolly Babes! Mmm...
RWUB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2001, 01:45 PM   #5
Rafi
Registered Member

Default Looks like you need a European office...

You guys should get in contact with someone in Europe so you can have a "satellite" office there or something. That way, you can get in on the scoop. Let's face it, Southern California is always going to be 2nd when it comes to motorcycle markets and their importance. England and other European countries have us beat in this regard as far as manufacturers are concerned.

Unless you want a cruiser......
Rafi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2001, 08:35 PM   #6
Janet
Founding Member

We were in our local dealers in Bristol, UK on Saturday and they already had a new VFR800 in stock. It was in silver too - I don't think you get anything other than red again do you?

I asked about the new 900 Hornet (919 to you) and they said they were expecting that in on the 7th of December. We're getting the Hornet in a gloss black (unlike the flat black that you're getting in the USA), silver or blue. I'm intending to buy one next spring, but I simply can't decide which colour to go for ...
Janet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2001, 04:51 AM   #7
Bat_Matt
Founding Member

Default MCN's tests stink.

Yeah, MCN gets the drop all the time...but who cares? Their tests are too short and are about as indepth as a hardhitting news report by Katie Couric.

Isn't it amazing how they've crowned the Interceptor AND they were the only ones who got a ride? What a coincidence!
Bat_Matt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2001, 05:51 AM   #8
seanw
Founding Member

Default Re: MCN

bat, my paranoid friend

mcn got the first test on the VFR because the bikes came to the UK first and we're the biggest UK publication. no need for conspiracy theories...

it makes me laugh to find a European publication accused of bias or favoritism, but I suppose when the practice is so widespread in the US then it's easy to assume the rest of the world is as corrupt as you lot.

for the record, our editorial integrity is 100%.

ask anyone in the UK bike industry - they all hate us because of this.

Sean Warwick

Editorial Director

motorcyclenews.com

seanw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2001, 08:28 AM   #9
Bat_Matt
Founding Member

Default :) Summary

Okay...I'll stop making wild accusations of journalistic shenanigans if you'll humor me while I summarize the (too short) article for you.

Page one: Sport-tourers must sport and tour. VFR kicks butt. Great engine, so-so styling.

Page two: VFR riding position is least comfortable. Futura has "fantastic chassis", "better wind protection", mild vibrations. ST "sits happily at 100". All three have single sided-swingarms.

Page three: VFR does well in spotty conditions. Aprilia has better low end power. ST will also smoke the VFR at low end. ST is comfortable and is a "brilliant choice if you lean towards touring". Futura has slightly worse engine but better brakes.

Summary: All three bikes have their strengths and weaknesses but we gave the edge to the VFR because of a slightly stronger engine. Reading the article, it just doesn't sound like the slam dunk win implied at the beginning. In the article, you even admit the Triumph is a better tourer and Triumph has a harder edged sport tourer in their range. So what gives?
Old 11-20-2001, 08:30 AM   #10
Bat_Matt
Founding Member

Default American Pubs

Btw, I totally agree with you on the American print rags. That's why I don't read 'em. I'm sticking with MO. And Blip, if yr reading this...I swear I'll get to that donation after I figure out how I am gonna pay for my new baby and new house