Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > MO vs. World

Old 11-01-2000, 11:31 AM   #1
turnandburn
Founding Member

Default Re: Motorcycle Fatalities Rising Worldwide?

Well I don't know about down under but there sure are more people riding without helmets here in the states. It also seems to me now that we have more people riding free that I am seeing more riders without leathers, boots, or gloves.
turnandburn is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 11-01-2000, 12:32 PM   #2
MotorcycleMan
Founding Member

> The Motorcycle Safety Foundation is more

> popular than ever here in the US

More motorcyclists = more motorcycle trainees.

> Again, we ask, what gives?

More motorcyclists = more accidents.

Doesn't seem like much of a mystery to me...
Old 11-01-2000, 12:47 PM   #3
blip
Founding Member

But total automobile deaths are declining "

from 1.6 deaths per 100 million driven miles to 1.5"
. That is, car deaths (and the statistics

the US reports) are based on deaths per 100 million miles driven. Thus, the amount of riders

shouldn't really matter as the factor is a ratio of deaths/mile, not total deaths.
blip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2000, 03:07 AM   #4
Daniel_Gerous
Founding Member

I can translate, I have young kids.

If (it's) true that no helmet means more (will)die, then that('s) good. (It) Means (that) more dumb (will) die. (It will) Clean (the) gene pool.

BTW, I agree. Let natural selection take it's course. It got us this far. It all started when Ogg thought it would be exciting to poke a dinosaur in the butt with a sharp stick. He thought it would impress the babes. He was wrong.
Daniel_Gerous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2000, 04:30 AM   #5
oldjapbikes
Founding Member

Default Several thoughts on these problems

1. So-called "statistics" are notoriously susceptible to being manipulated to support any conclusion you'd like. In this particular report, no one has allowed for statitistics that normally fluctuate year to year, and as many people have stated before, it's not the absolute number but the percentage that is important.

2. About the unlicensed motorcyclists who engage in more risky behavior, DUH. People usually don't thumb their nose at just one thing in particular. Either people tend to follow laws or they don't.

3. Australia has a problem with unlicensed motorcyclists. Possible solutions: (a) make it more convenient (not easier, just more convenient) for cyclists to get the proper training/licensing. My home state just raised the fee for motorcycle endorsement above all other endorsements for no reason . Yet we still want people to get licensed? (b) [the option I hate] Have police stop suspected unlicensed motorcyclists and do a quick check for license. However this means that most sportbikers will get pulled over more often and provide incentive for unlicensed riders to get fake licenses. Option (c) which I like the most: Let these folks suffer the consequences of their actions. While this may continue to give the legitimately licensed motorcyclists a bad name, will that ever change? After all; in motorcycle circles, automobile drivers have a bad name, and will that ever change?

Let's let people be responsible for their own actions. While I believe in offering incentives to live, if people choose to engage in activities that raise their risk of dying, that's their choice.
oldjapbikes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2000, 04:02 PM   #6
ironmike
Founding Member

Default Mark Twain would caution...

...all of us to take this with a grain of salt; after all, he once opined.. "..there's lies, damned lies, and statistics."
ironmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2000, 12:51 AM   #7
TheRone
Founding Member

In Australia, there are helmet laws in place as well as engine capaicity restrictions.

I think the increased death rates are attributed to relaxed driver trainning. It is so easy to get a car license that it should surprise no one that more and more of us are being taken out. I was knocked off my bike recently by a 70 years old woman who was blind as a bat. The scary thing is... she still drives.

There are also increasing numbers of squids as well... no easy solution at all.

Dudes, we have no freedom about the cage drivers trying to take us out but, what we do have is just our freedom. We can make the most of that can't we? Let's enjoy our rides but keep our heads as well.

RT
TheRone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2000, 10:27 AM   #8
knackered
Founding Member

The cop who showed up to my little "accident" (an old dear who didn't think "yield" applied to her), checked my headlight, brakes, skid marks, driving license and insurance, in that order, BEFORE citing Grandma.

All cops may not be anti motorcycle, but in my experience they're not our best buddies either.
knackered is offline   Reply With Quote