Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > MO vs. World

Old 09-25-2001, 07:48 AM   #1
ArtOfTheMotorcycle
Founding Member

Default Aftermarket Pipes & Other Mods

The anti-tampering language only means something if it's enforced. Virtually all aftermarket pipes, including those sold by Harley and Yamaha, are illegal already. The only exceptions are those that are roll-marked like original-equipment parts, with a certification that they do meet all EPA requirements. To make any of this stick, it has to be enforced at the state and local level. The EPA made the regs then got out of the enforcement business.
ArtOfTheMotorcycle is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 09-25-2001, 08:49 AM   #2
das
Founding Member

Default Re: Aftermarket Pipes & Other Mods

Agreed.

But I think the more alarming part is that the EPA even thinks in that manner.

Why should they care at all if a bike has fuel injection or carburators (sp?) or a factory versus aftermarket exhaust. If the bike meets the pollution requirements, it shouldn't make any difference whatsoever how it achieves that result.

What's the purpose of the regulations? To reduce pollution from vehicle emissions, or to reduce the appeal and accessibility of motorcycling to non-motorcyclists?

It's similar non-thinking over at the ATF that's killing hobby rocketry. And don't even get me started on sport shooting...

If this kind of thinking continues, before long the government will regulate us down to a state of complete vegatation. I don't recall who said it but... "The chief result of shielding men from folly is to fill the world with fools."
das is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2001, 09:01 AM   #3
ArtOfTheMotorcycle
Founding Member

"Emissions" means more than just air pollution. The EPA is also charged with regulating noise levels.
ArtOfTheMotorcycle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2001, 09:07 AM   #4
starvingstudent
Founding Member

Default Re: New Streetbike Emissions

"as well as "anti-tampering" regulations, which could prohibit certain modifications to motorcycles, such as installing certain aftermarket exhaust systems."

Go for it! I would LOVE it if I was no longer woken up at 4am by Harley straight pipes and Yoshimura race exhausts.
starvingstudent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2001, 09:25 AM   #5
das
Founding Member

Pollution... air pollution, noise pollution, light pollution, water pollution; doesn't matter in this case.

I think you've missed my point... the EPA should be mandating acceptable pollution levels, not trying to regulate the construction or modification of motorcycles.

This is very bad for motorcyclists and the motorcycling industry because it makes motorcycling less appealing and/or less accessible to potential motorcyclists.
Old 09-25-2001, 09:28 AM   #6
das
Founding Member

You need to read (or re-read) the first post.

The obnoxiously loud exhausts are already illegal. If the existing laws were followed and enforced, additional, stricter legislation would be unnecessary.
Old 09-25-2001, 10:21 AM   #7
captainwhoopass
Founding Member

Exactly. Well said das. The loud exhausts on these bikes are already illegal, so the additional laws will not do anything to decrease this unless they are enforced, which is not the case with the laws already on the books.

Furthermore, I think it is ludicrous that the EPA should require streetbikes to have fuel injection, catalytic converters, or other emissions-related equipment on them if it is not needed. All this will do is drive up the cost of new bikes by requiring manufacturers to include unneeded parts on their bikes.

Hopefully the EPA will get their head out of their ass and start focusing on some legislation that will actually make a difference with respect to emissions, such as tractor/trailer emissions ( the emissions from one of these is probably equal to fifty motorcycles) or other large vehicles like buses. Or, better yet, stop messing with American citizens and focus on lobbying other countries to do something about their emissions.
Old 09-25-2001, 10:52 AM   #8
desertbilly
Founding Member

Default Sound restraints aren't enforcible

because they're too vague. How many decibals are allowed? From what distance? From what direction? At what RPM? Who measures? With what equipment? Think any cop or judge is going to waste their scarce time?

Prohibiting aftermarket exhaust systems, unless they're somehow certified, is actually enforcible. Allowable emissions is one way, but requires a very large infratructure to test. Simply requiring exhaust systems to be DOT certified (like tires and helmets) would actually work. The DOT would have to develop and apply the certification process.

At the point it's a very simple ordinance to enforce. Any bike manufactured after 200x must have a DOT stamped muffler or it's a fine. Any new muffler must be DOT stamped or it can't be sold, or it's a fine. Old bikes would be grandfathered, but will slowly die out over 20 to 30 years.
desertbilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2001, 11:05 AM   #9
starvingstudent
Founding Member

Well, if you can get a bike WITHOUT a catalytic converter or fuel-injection to be as clean as an R1150R, that's great. But I don't think it's possible--even MO made this point on one of their first reviews of the R1100R.

As for the "stop messing with American citizens and focus on...other countries"--very flawed reasoning. Say you are raising a child, and they shoplift a few CDs. You say "stealing is wrong," and they say, "well I'll quit stealing CDs once other people in the world quit stealing cars." Is the kid right? No! Because stealing is still wrong. So is polluting. And lobbying other countries about their pollution does NOT have to be mutually exclusive with trimming American pollution.
starvingstudent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2001, 11:16 AM   #10
Razmann
Founding Member

Face it folks, can't you see it coming? All these regs will limit higher and higher performing bikes, sportbike, cruiser, or whatever. There will come a day when "classics" (easy-to-work-on carberated) bikes will be the ones to own, not all this new hyper-technological stuff getting ready to bust the door down now. Don't get me wrong, I like a lot of the latest bikes (like the Aprilia Futura) but many backyard mech's like me won't be able to fix them!!

Take the new VFR: how do you perform a valve adjustment on that without screwing something up? Will my local shop mechanic be able to tackle it, or even be willing? Or will I have to pay through my catalytic converter (knowhatimean) to have the Honda stealer do it at $74 per hour? I've owned a '97 VFR, and the labor was already unreal because of the V-style engine. I loved that bike, makes me want to get another '94-'97, upgrade the shocks and brakes, add a turbo, and then hang with the Hyabusas; at least I'd have the flexibility to do that.
Razmann is offline   Reply With Quote