Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > MO vs. World

Old 09-27-2001, 07:16 AM   #51
CBR1000F
Founding Member

Default Re: New Streetbike Emissions

No, Occam's Razor states that, given the choice between two explanations for a phenomenon, pick the simplest one.

The simplest explanation is that it's easy to pick on a small group of people with little economic clout than it is to pick on a large group of corporations with huge economic clout.

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 09-27-2001, 07:17 AM   #52
das
Founding Member

Thanks for the clarifications, but point #1 still concerns me.

I understand that you need to have some idea of what the existing technology can do before you can establish a practicable set of limits or goals.

However, there's a difference between understanding the capabilities and setting reasonable limits. If the best existing technologies can achieve an pollution level of X, then setting a limit of X (or near X) is effectively mandating the use of those technologies, at least in the near term. The pollution targets should also take usage into account.

For example, we have the technology to make noise emissions from motorcycles almost completely inaudible. But, IMHO it would be unreasonable to mandate that.

das is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2001, 09:19 AM   #53
Nepenthe
Founding Member

Well, I said it was 'kind of' like Occam's Razor: the rule of parsimony, in that you test the easiest hypothesis first, or try the path of least resistance first, or, as you say, go after the small minority group of people with little economic clout and influence first...
Nepenthe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2001, 10:03 AM   #54
stevegrab
Founding Member

Valid points all. I just took offense at your comments that motorcycles are toys for most of us. Even if they are, why does that make it ok for the EPA to pick on us. I just think it is totally stupid for the EPA to focus on one group of vehicles (motorcycles) that account for such a small amount of the polution.

As for stricter laws on SUVs, I'll believe it when I see it. Talk by the house will amount to nothing. And the EPA will have a hard time cracking down on something so many Americans now see as part of our daily life.

One last thing, SUVs are no more essential than motorcycles, its just that more people own them (and the auto makers make lots of money on them).
stevegrab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2001, 11:09 AM   #55
CBR1000F
Founding Member

Hehehe... Ok. :Þ
Old 09-27-2001, 01:23 PM   #56
vmxxx
Founding Member

true, just letting off some steam fromm up here on my soapbox.......lo...I live in a town they should call "No-ville"....and a state that's almost as bad. Fun will soon be illegal in all but 2 states and the taxxes on said fun will be outrageous. Legislation has gotten out of hand and enforcement is lacking, except in the town of "No-ville" where tickets are a way of life...so much so that our county D.A. has been known to laugh at some of the ridiculus "laws" they have on the books. I'm sure we all deal with this to some degree....don't we elect these people?
vmxxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2001, 07:56 AM   #57
zootsuit
Founding Member

Default Re: Aftermarket Pipes & Other Mods

Hey, don't thank her. Thank her boss, George W. He's good to his friends and the rest of us can go squat.
zootsuit is offline   Reply With Quote